Breathe Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Re: Breathe Appreciation Thread

Post by BennyWhatever »

Finally listened to Breathe this morning. Absolutely loved it. It was like a time warp to a great time.

I kept listening for the notorious "Myles Echo" after each line and IT WASN'T THERE. It was like a breath of fresh air. It's also nice to hear Myles sing more in his lower register.

I miss these songs.
:yeahthat

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The song is growing on me a bit, but one thing I really don't like is the fact that Myles is singing with marbles in the mouth at times. It's like he was trying to follow Stapp's steps in the early AB days.
Other than that, it's amazing to hear his low tone, and I love how powerful Mark's guitar sounds when it kicks in after 30 seconds. It sounds bigger than anything Elvis has ever produced.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Does anyone know if Breathe will ever be made available for download? I'd love to be able to get it legally without having to buy another CD.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

WaywardOne wrote:Does anyone know if Breathe will ever be made available for download? I'd love to be able to get it legally without having to buy another CD.
Nobody knows for sure. I highly doubt it will be though, they've had various songs in the past that were only ever available in this manner too.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

WaywardOne wrote:Does anyone know if Breathe will ever be made available for download? I'd love to be able to get it legally without having to buy another CD.
Does legally just mean "with payment?"

If so, I think you and I could arrange a little somethin' somethin' under the table... :humina

Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Nobody knows for sure. I highly doubt it will be though, they've had various songs in the past that were only ever available in this manner too.
Thanks, VigilantSteve. Also, cool avatar... :shifty
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Does legally just mean "with payment?"

If so, I think you can I could arrange a little somethin' somethin' under the table... :humina

No. That is all. :wtf

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

This song made me want to go back and listen to the Mayfield Four records. My wife had never heard them, and said, wow Myles really sounds different.

I'd so love to hear more AB material with him singing in this register.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

One Drew Remains wrote:This song made me want to go back and listen to the Mayfield Four records. My wife had never heard them, and said, wow Myles really sounds different.

I'd so love to hear more AB material with him singing in this register.
I have been listening to a lot of Mayfield Four myself recently, and have gained a small addiction to the song 12/31 :) Myles sounds incredible on that song.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That song and Reigns Over Me are in my opinion his two best vocal performances ever. All that emotion in his voice. Incredible.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Timotheus wrote:That song and Reigns Over Me are in my opinion his two best vocal performances ever. All that emotion in his voice. Incredible.
Yeah, they are both definitely up there that is for sure. Giving Reigns a listen now, been a while since I heard this one, but damn!!!
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

And those lyrics on Fallout and Second Skin...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Big Verb :cloud9 Fallout in general is just heaven.
For all of the hope that it brings...

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Yeah I really do need to start listening to TMF more often. Fallout is a fucking banging album, and Myles vocals back then were so raw.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

His ODR voice gives me chills. The way he breaks his voice on lines like "and with a knife in our soul, we will erase, we will not feel it". So much power and emotion.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

ODR is as compressed as the next albums in terms of mastering. It's just that there are less obvious overdubs and a more open/vintage sound compared to what followed. It's definitely not a gold standard of production but it is my favourite sounding production of the AB albums. Whatever microphone, pre-amp they used for Myles vocals really really suited him and brought out the warmth in his voice.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Crumbso wrote:ODR is as compressed as the next albums in terms of mastering. It's just that there are less obvious overdubs and a more open/vintage sound compared to what followed. It's definitely not a gold standard of production but it is my favourite sounding production of the AB albums. Whatever microphone, pre-amp they used for Myles vocals really really suited him and brought out the warmth in his voice.
Oh yeah agreed 100% None of the AB album are what I would class as well mastered albums. All over over compressed and I am really not a fan of "wall of sound" techniques. But ODR is definitely the best of a bad bunch for want of a better term. Everything just sounds more rich and full and clear on that album.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Just have to stop by in here and say that Myles's voice was sooooo much better back then. Sorry to say that but the old Myles is what lacks the recent album. I am addicted to Myles' old voice.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Myles' voice is still as good, and who knows?, probably better than it was. The band has been using a formula since ABIII and the production is getting monotonous. They feel "Noisy" is heavy, and hence they make the guy sing like a whining cat and put these unnatural harmonies which only make it worse. Few fans won't agree here and they are totally entitled to their opinion, but AB is not a band mean't to be recorded with hundreds of layers and dubs. They are a kickass band with 2 guitarists, a drummer and one of the most underrated and unheard bass players in Mr.Marshall(sadly, we do not get to hear him on AB albums that much), these musicians shouldn't have to hide behind the "NOISE" that seems to have become popular largely among the current generation of fans. Nobody wants AB to keep making the same music, but this noise is just not good.

Gave the new album a listen again, got BORED, gave Breathe a listen again, its growing on me, you could tell they left some room for a solo that was never recorded, and I think I hear the after chorus riff of "Lover" in the bridge of "Breathe". Fucking awesome.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Them Bones wrote:Few fans won't agree here and they are totally entitled to their opinion, but AB is not a band mean't to be recorded with hundreds of layers and dubs. They are a kickass band with 2 guitarists, a drummer and one of the most underrated and unheard bass players in Mr.Marshall(sadly, we do not get to hear him on AB albums that much), these musicians shouldn't have to hide behind the "NOISE" that seems to have become popular largely among the current generation of fans.
Actually, I'll bet most fans here agree with you on this part.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

gbruin wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Few fans won't agree here and they are totally entitled to their opinion, but AB is not a band mean't to be recorded with hundreds of layers and dubs. They are a kickass band with 2 guitarists, a drummer and one of the most underrated and unheard bass players in Mr.Marshall(sadly, we do not get to hear him on AB albums that much), these musicians shouldn't have to hide behind the "NOISE" that seems to have become popular largely among the current generation of fans.
Actually, I'll bet most fans here agree with you on this part.
I, for one, certainly agree. That's what I always wanted AB to be after hearing ODR for the first time. I wanted them to be the rock band to remind the world what music is all about, which is simply real people writing from their heart and sounding like just that: real people. None of this... 25 of the same guy singing on one track garbage. :lol