Alter Bridge - Magazine Covers

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Torsten
White Knuckled

Re: Magazine - Interview

Postby Torsten » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Classic Rock Magazine [Germany] (March, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Acoustic Magazine [United Kingdom] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Rock Hard [Slovakia/Czech Republic] (February - March, 2018)

Magazine coming soon!

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Rock Tribune [Belgium] (March, 2018)

Magazine coming soon!

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Newspaper Khaleej Times — City Times [United Arab Emirates] (17 March, 2018)

My original intention was to be a guitar teacher: Myles

MYLES KENNEDY HAS finally released a solo album. The obvious question is, what took him so long? The 48-year-old Kennedy has made a name for himself as a frontman, a guitar-playing singer for the Mayfield Four, then with the Creed offshoot Alter Bridge and subsequently with Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash’s backing band. Along the way Kennedy also stepped in for the absent Axl Rose when Guns N’ Roses was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012, and in 2008 he auditioned for a job as the singer for Led Zeppelin, replacing the departed Robert Plant.

Kennedy has been busy, in other words, but even so Year of the Tiger seems somewhat overdue.

“The arc to this has been very interesting,” Kennedy said, speaking from his home in Spokane, Washington. “When I was teaching guitar here, as a young man, I never would have imagined that I would even be doing anything outside of this community. My original intention was to be a guitar teacher and maybe a session player, and then performing at night with local bands. “I guess what happened was that, once a certain goal would be achieved, I’d shoot for another goal,” he continued.

“They were baby steps, so now, a few decades later, looking back on all this and seeing how it’s played out, I guess what I take away is that, if you work hard enough and just kind My original intention was to be a guitar teacher and maybe a session player, and then performing at night with local bands.” Myles Kennedy of keep your head down and stay focused, you might be surprised in the long run with what ends up happening.”

With his assorted bands Kennedy has sung on 15 Top 20 Mainstream Rock singles and four concert videos, as well as heavy international touring. The idea of an album of his own was there alongside all of this, however.

In fact, Kennedy even recorded a solo effort a few years back, one that eventually he opted to abandon because it was closer to what he was doing with his rock endeavours than to the rootsy, Americana flavour of Year of the Tiger.

“When it was all said and done,” he explained, “it became a little bit more of a rock record than I originally had hoped for. And because it had been started so many years ago, I felt like its shelf life had expired. I didn’t feel as connected to the material.

“That was kind of a tough realisation to come to,” Kennedy said, “because of the amount of work that had gone into it. That left me starting from Square 1, so I basically wrote an entirely different and brand-new record.”

Kennedy started off playing trumpet at the age of 10, and in his early teens “played” in an air-guitar band. He soon switched to the real guitar, and, in addition to studying music and teaching, played in the jazz group Cosmic Dust Fusion Band and Citizen Swing before forming Mayfield Four in 1995. That band released two albums and an EP in its six-year existence.

During that time Kennedy also landed a brief role in the film Rock Star (2001), playing an aspiring singer named Thor who’s plucked out of a crowd by rocker Izzy Cole (Mark Wahlberg). His father’s death remained a troubling element in Kennedy’s life, however. When he decided to trash his first solo album and began working on the new one – taking with him only one of the earlier tracks, Love Can Only Heal – he decided to use that early loss as a linchpin for what he was writing.

“A lot of the songs are trying to get into my mother’s head and what she might have been thinking, and things she might have been struggling with as a young mother with two boys in tow,” Kennedy said. “So a song like Love Can Only Heal illustrates how, even though she had lost the love of her life, was probably very lonely and there was probably a massive void, she was trying to retain a certain amount of optimism that maybe those wounds could be healed and that there’s possibly somebody out there waiting in the wings to kind of pick the family back up and help us move along.”

Unsurprisingly, he was a bit apprehensive about how his family would react to the album. “I wasn’t sure how people would respond, because it was such a personal story,” Kennedy admitted, “but, when I first brought it up with my mother and explained to her the premise of the record, she understood and kind of helped fill in some details. I think, overall, it’s been pretty supportive and understanding on the part of my mother and brother, in particular.”

Plans with Slash

Year of the Tiger is putting Kennedy on the road, initially for solo shows and, he hopes, with a band later. While he’s doing that, Kennedy also will be working on songs for the next Alter Bridge album, which is targeted for 2019. As for Slash, he remains occupied with Guns N’ Roses’ open-ended Not in This Lifetime Tour, which is keeping his side band on hiatus for now. “We trade texts once in a while,” Kennedy reported. “It sounds like he’s doing well. I’m really happy for those guys. I think it’s been really great for rock ‘n’ roll. It’s been a really massive tour.”

As for his own future with Slash, he’s keeping his options open. “Between 2010 and 2015 we had a really great run,” Kennedy said, “so I would certainly be open for revisiting that in the future, if he wants.”

Year of the Tiger has a rootsy, Americana flavour

Myles Kennedy achieves a different sound with Year of the Tiger. The 12-song set is marked by a rootsy, Americana flavour, with Kennedy playing banjo, mandolin and lap steel in addition to guitar and bass. “This was something I always wanted to do, at least for about a decade: make a record that was more acoustic-based and also touched on certain elements of my musical DNA that I haven’t really had the opportunity to explore to this degree,” Kennedy explained.

That included early exposure to the likes of Mississippi John Hurt, Big Bill Broonzy and Nick Drake, he said, as well as “the acoustic sides of what Led Zeppelin did,” Eric Clapton’s album Unplugged (1992) and more contemporary artists such as Jeff Buckley and Chris Whitely.

“I felt a need to strip things down and let the songs be conveyed in a much more open environment, as far as the arrangements go,” Kennedy said. “I thought that would be really exciting and something different I really needed to do – for me.”

Year of the Tiger is also a more personal album than Kennedy’s earlier album would have been. It focuses on the death of his father, who died when Kennedy – who was born Myles Bass in Massachusetts before the family moved to Spokane – was only 4 years old. His father Richard Bass was a Christian Scientist who did not believe in medical treatment and died from appendicitis.

“As the years went on, and I started to figure out that this was something that could have been prevented, it certainly added a fair amount of gravity to the situation and left me with a lot of questions,” Kennedy acknowledged.

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Metal Hammer Magazine [Poland] (April, 2018)

Magazine coming soon!

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Rockzone Magazine [Spain] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Stencil Magazine [United Kingdom] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Kerrang Magazine [United Kingdom] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 am

Guitar Techniques Magazine [United Kingdom] (May, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 am

Planet Rock Magazine [United Kingdom] (April, 2018)

Last edited by Torsten on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Gitarre & Bass Magazine [Germany] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Rock Hard Magazine [France] (February, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 am

Metal Hammer Magazine [United Kingdom] (April, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 am

Classic Rock Magazine [United Kingdom] (May, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Guitare Xtreme Magazine [France] (May-June, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Fri May 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Guitarist Magazine [United Kingdom] (June, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am

Corriere della Sera [Italy] (6 May, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Total Guitar Magazine [United Kingdom] (June, 2018)

Torsten
White Knuckled

Postby Torsten » Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 am

Classic Rock Magazine [Germany] (June, 2018)

Return to “Alter Bridge”