"My Champion" Lyric Video

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
DonHarry
King Slayer

Re: "My Champion" Lyric Video

Post by DonHarry »

You are f*cking crazy! I love that solo haha.

I really like the intro/outro licks in MC. It's so catchy. Not 100% invested in the lyrics but the song is sonically pleasing to me. I like the solo personally. It's one of those though, I don't play guitar and I know f*ck all about what's 'techinically' good in regards to solo'ing, so those that play don't have the cushion of ignorance that I do. I just hear what I hear and I like what I hear.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I enjoy My Champion. Maybe it's not my favorite, but I dont harbor any ill will towards it either.

I like the solo, and I like that fact that the song is more slower-paced.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I really like the song. Like most AB songs, it seems to get better with every listen. It sounds like it could have fit somewhere on their first album, but at the same time, it shows how far they've come. Sure it's radio friendly, but in this day and age, the radio needs more songs like that one.

*Edit: And the lyric video is awesome.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I'm not super good at recognizing tunings by ear, but this one sounds like an open tuning to me. Maybe one of the new tunings they were talking about.

I concur. It sounds like an open G type tuning to me.

I'm 99.5% sure it's Open G a half step down. It would also explain the unorthodox solo from Mark. I feel like he'd have written the solo differently if it was in a standard tuning.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

slasherbridge wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I'm not super good at recognizing tunings by ear, but this one sounds like an open tuning to me. Maybe one of the new tunings they were talking about.

I'm 99.5% sure it's Open G a half step down. It would also explain the unorthodox solo from Mark. I feel like he'd have written the solo differently if it was in a standard tuning.
The way he slides along the chords is an indication for an open tuning for me. Think Open Your Eyes. I agree it explains the characteristics of the solo too.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
slasherbridge wrote:

The way he slides along the chords is an indication for an open tuning for me. Think Open Your Eyes. I agree it explains the characteristics of the solo too.
There is this drone at the halfway point of the solo where i was thinking it was an open tuning as well

GregDrums
Brand New Start

Post by GregDrums »

I read that the song was about Myles parents encouraging him. I think that makes the song much more interesting with that knowledge.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

One of my favorite videos they have done. Lyric or otherwise.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Overall I enjoy the song. It's easy to list the positives, so I'll try my best to come up with some negatives (some more unfair than others):

- As many have said: too "loud" in too many places. Basically, not very much dynamic range in the mix nor the arrangement that really separates certain parts of the song.

- A lot of the musical cues reminds me of his song with Slash called We Will Roam.

- The final chorus has two parts to it, and it would have been nice if the second chorus included that second part as well. Many songs that do this layout don't only have their final chorus with that part. Extending it would fit a bit better with the bridge following in my opinion. Myles can feel free to save the high notes version of the second part for the final chorus, but containing that part and the words would have been nice.

- This is my own doing, but I can often predict how a song is going to melodically finish a line of sorts (I assume many of us can), and when we had that one preview a couple of weeks ago that cut out at the beginning of the chorus, I was expecting the chorus to go a specific way, and it didn't quite go that way sadly. Even the end with "My champ-i-on" would have been nicer if, at least for the final chorus, went back up in pitch with "-on" that matched "champ-." I'm being too particular here, but there are some things that will always sound sour to me if they don't sound like they should naturally go along. I think this last point is where most people will always err to the side of a musician's choices over a fan's, plus you'll probably say, "It's better when it's not predictable or run-of-the-mill." Ehh, says you, I guess. I'd prefer for something to sound 'better' rather than sound 'different,' and I have a version of that chorus in my head that sounds a bit more melodically preferential for my taste. To each their own, of course!

- Final one, and this is really unfair for them, but because they previewed this now, this was their one chance to get me with their softest hitting track, and it bums me to know that there is nothing that really comes any "softer" or more of a "ballad" than this track. Don't get me wrong, I love me some face-melting licks and tracks in their albums, but I always pine for those like Ghosts, Before Tomorrow Comes, All Ends Well, Wonderful Life, Watch Over You, Life Must Go On..... blah, blah blah. I was incredibly surprised with my one source of respite in Fortress with All Ends Well as I did my first play-through of the album, and I've already gotten it here. No more surprises for me, and most sadly it's not my favorite AB track ever (every song you jump into, you hope for it to be your favorite, otherwise you're just being bitter and biased) when in my mind a couple of the previous bullet points maybe could have brought it to new heights. Favorite still? Of course not... but I want them to be perfect in all song types, and when there are less of that song type you want them to just be more perfect versions of themselves.

That's all. Much better than SMAL and it will definitely stand out for me on this album, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have negatives.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Why does no one ever not like an AB song here? Both singles are utter crap and sound like rejected Creed songs.

Zero excitement for the album.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

^ I read some track by tracks that you will be remembered is also a bit slower. And about the 'predict how the melody will go', I always like it when it doesn't do that and surprised me. But to each their own I suppose haha!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

fix wrote:^ I read some track by tracks that you will be remembered is also a bit slower. And about the 'predict how the melody will go', I always like it when it doesn't do that and surprised me. But to each their own I suppose haha!
Thanks, I look forward to You Will Be Remembered then!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Violent Corpse wrote:Why does no one ever not like an AB song here? Both singles are utter crap and sound like rejected Creed songs.

Lol really? There is a lot of discussion about the songs here. People are pretty critical when it comes to new AB songs and video's, especially singles.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Violent Corpse wrote:Why does no one ever not like an AB song here? Both singles are utter crap and sound like rejected Creed songs.

i voiced my opinion against my champion.. and also added it no way represents the rest of the album.. and to add: we dont all have to agree.. everyone has their own taste.. thank god for that..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

axlar wrote:

i voiced my opinion against my champion.. and also added it no way represents the rest of the album.. and to add: we dont all have to agree.. everyone has their own taste.. thank god for that..
Oh. Relieved to hear it doesn't represent the rest of the album.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Others said that pretty much as well after the LP.
Photobucket cash grab.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Do you even listen to AB. They ALWAYS release singles that don't measure up to the rest of the album. I remember all the drama when Rise Today was released and a few people here, one especially, ripped it apart mercilessly, and then we got Blackbird.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It doesn't represent the rest of TLH at all. The brain aneurysm rock people are going to be pleased.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I guess you don't actually read the posts on here then?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote:It doesn't represent the rest of TLH at all. The brain aneurysm rock people are going to be pleased.
Here's hoping! :cloud9