"My Champion" Lyric Video

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: "My Champion" Lyric Video

Post by AB23 »

Blackbird wrote:
AB23 wrote:
Macca wrote:This one's no so good. Sounds like something Kelly Clarkson woulda released in the mid 00's with a token guitar solo thrown in
fuck you and your opinions
You're talking about passive agressiveness all the time and then directly insult everyone who doesn't agree with your opinions. I'd say that's hypocritical, but it's actually simply stupid.

It obviously doesn't sound like Kelly Clarkson, I'm sure Macca exaggerated a bit on purpose, but it's definitely more pop-y than you'd expect from Alter Bridge, and I also think it lacks the great melodies from similar songs like Ghost. And yeah, I think the solo is definitely one of the worst they've ever put on a record.
Do you even know who Macca is

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

I'm loving this song more everyday

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but it's grown on me a lot. That lick/riff in the intro and elsewhere adds a cool flair to the otherwise straight-forwardness of the song. I agree the lyrics are a bit uninspired, though not enough to really drag down the experience. I feel like most of the problem with "My Champion" is that it's trying to say the same thing as "All Ends Well" without using the same words. As someone pointed out before, there is a certain sincerity in saying "If you believe in nothing else, just keep believing in yourself," that is hard to capture in a paraphrased form.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Blackbird wrote:And yeah, I think the solo is definitely one of the worst they've ever put on a record.
That's the first dislike for the solo I've seen. I thought it was one of the best parts of the song. I mean is not "Brand New Start" good or anything, but I find it enjoyable.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

This is definitely growing on me. Like Crumbso said, once you accept it as an upbeat singalong that you don't need to think too much about, it makes plenty of sense. Whether it's worth the prime real-estate that is TRACK 4 I don't know, but it's not going to be an autoskipper like Before Tomorrow Comes for me.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

By the way, 80.000 views in one day is a LOT of views

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I think the solo is more tame bc it's a song the masses might latch on to, and they might be afraid too much face melting Tremonti awesomeness would turn those masses away.

Me personally, I think AB will stay the size they are (with the current state of music) and that's just fine with me. I'll be singing My Champion every time I see them live.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Felypesh wrote:By the way, 80.000 views in one day is a LOT of views
Not when 50.000 views come from Timotheus.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Orgasming every single time.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Hi. I go way back with this forum, since 2004. I once caused more drama here than I'd care to admit, haha.

Anyway, I listen to almost zero hard rock (or guitar-based music) these days but I keep up with Alter Bridge out of nostalgia. I just wanted to say that My Champion is super enjoyable. This summer has been a painful one for me and I've found myself listening to All Ends Well and similar AB songs pretty frequently. They really are the best at super earnest rock songs, and this one is right up there. It says things I really needed to hear right now. Sometimes indie or hip-hop just doesn't cut it for emotional catharsis, haha. Excited to hear the album.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

That's good to hear.

I mean, its neat that AB experiments with very dark lyrical themes, but you gotta like a happy song. Especially considering that the guys that make up AB are some of the most genuine and heartfelt individuals that could make up a band. Its nice that their lyrics in those happy songs reflect the type of people that they truly are more than the dark, existential songs.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

I think the solo is awesome. Fits really well melodically and tremonti does a good job of making it a solo with themes. Like the way it creeps in initially...that little idea comes back later. A couple other little patterns too. It's just very cohesive to me. Tells a story and fits the melody of the song. No need for anything else
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I thought the solo was better than most of Mark's solos on Fortress
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

scarecrow wrote:Hi. I go way back with this forum, since 2004. I once caused more drama here than I'd care to admit, haha.

Anyway, I listen to almost zero hard rock (or guitar-based music) these days but I keep up with Alter Bridge out of nostalgia. I just wanted to say that My Champion is super enjoyable. This summer has been a painful one for me and I've found myself listening to All Ends Well and similar AB songs pretty frequently. They really are the best at super earnest rock songs, and this one is right up there. It says things I really needed to hear right now. Sometimes indie or hip-hop just doesn't cut it for emotional catharsis, haha. Excited to hear the album.
Rise Today, right? :lol I didn't post much at the time but remember it well :D

Awesome to hear, reckon it'll go down super well live.

rjwest21
Brand New Start

Post by rjwest21 »

Freaking love this.

The converted youtube version will suffice until I can get my hands on the real thing, but it's now #1 on my workout playlist. Can't wait to blast it while I'm hitting the iron this afternoon.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Ubik wrote:
scarecrow wrote:Hi. I go way back with this forum, since 2004. I once caused more drama here than I'd care to admit, haha.

Rise Today, right? :lol I didn't post much at the time but remember it well :D

Awesome to hear, reckon it'll go down super well live.
Yes! I had a lot of growing up to do.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I've been here for ages also and I don't remember that one. It's fun to reminisce about some of the stupid fights over the years though, once the internet rage has subsided. :lol

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Felypesh wrote:Does someone knows what's the tunning of My Champion?
I'm guessing it's in Drop C#/Db. The final chord of the song (most often the tonic) is an F#, which is also the pedal tone in that intro fingerpicked section. So you can play that F# on an open string in Drop C#. At least how that's how I'm hearing it. Sorry for my rambling :shrug
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Can we also appreciate that Myles manages to rhyme 'again' with 'champion'?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Crumbso wrote:I've been here for ages also and I don't remember that one. It's fun to reminisce about some of the stupid fights over the years though, once the internet rage has subsided. :lol
Creed reunion was my favourite. Much shit was lost on all sides.