"My Champion" Lyric Video

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Macca
Greg

Re: "My Champion" Lyric Video

Post by Macca »

This one's no so good. Sounds like something Kelly Clarkson woulda released in the mid 00's with a token guitar solo thrown in
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Macca wrote:This one's no so good. Sounds like something Kelly Clarkson woulda released in the mid 00's with a token guitar solo thrown in
fuck you and your opinions

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

I love the video! And I really like the song. Very uplifting!
Did 'All Ends Well' get as much critics as 'My Champion' gets now? I don't mean musically, just for the lyrics.
Maybe it is because my parents never used sentences like that so I don't have that same emotional connection that some people seem to have with 'All Ends Well'. But for me, lyric-wise it's on the same level as 'My Champion'.
Which means I am okay with it. It just doesn't resonate with me the same way as other songs do but that is mostly the case with uplifting themes. It just hits deeper when it is moody and gets one thinking. I guess.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

From my perspective, regarding All Ends Well, I think most people felt like that song was "too Disney-sounding" for AB. Probably didn't get as much comments on that song, since it was not a song that was released before the album was out, and the song after All Ends Well was Fortress, a song and sound that most people feel like something that modern AB should continue to keep pushing for.

Honestly, if My Champion was not released as a song before the album was out, maybe comments about it would not be as polarizing and in masses. However, since it was a single before the album is out, and it's all we have to listen for in terms of new songs, along with Show Me A Leader, people feel like they have doubts about the direction of the album (even with Mark stating that The Last Hero has something everyone can enjoy, which would include all different kinds of AB fans).

General_Zelgius
Brand New Start

Post by General_Zelgius »

Like SMAL before it, this one doesn't quite blow me away, but I like it a lot. It reminds me a lot of All Ends Well.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

anguyen92 wrote:From my perspective, regarding All Ends Well, I think most people felt like that song was "too Disney-sounding" for AB. Probably didn't get as much comments on that song, since it was not a song that was released before the album was out, and the song after All Ends Well was Fortress, a song and sound that most people feel like something that modern AB should continue to keep pushing for.

Honestly, if My Champion was not released as a song before the album was out, maybe comments about it would not be as polarizing and in masses. However, since it was a single before the album is out, and it's all we have to listen for in terms of new songs, along with Show Me A Leader, people feel like they have doubts about the direction of the album (even with Mark stating that The Last Hero has something everyone can enjoy, which would include all different kinds of AB fans).

:yeahthat

You nailed it

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Comparing My Champion and All Ends Well lyrically, both songs I don't care too much about, I just have to explain why in my opinion All Ends Well is better in that department. Like someone said, My Champion has lines that are reminiscent of motivational memes, All Ends Well lyrics on the other hand sound like one side of an encouraging conversation, it's much better in that sense.

I feel the intention was the same, but All Ends Well sounds much more sincere. You probably could imagine yourself saying any line from All Ends Well to a friend that's struggling (if you wanted to be poetic about it, cause there are some beautiful lines in there), but try pulling the "you know, sometimes you fall before you rise" line on anyone and you'll see exactly how generic it is. Total filler line. I mean I guess they wanted it to be deep and poetic but it just falls flat.

I mean it's not that I mind an encouraging song, the issue with the lyrics is not that they're uplifting, it's just that there are so many filler, generic lines that don't strike any chord other than "pls stahp", occasionally. At least for me.

TL;DR All Ends Well lyrics are MILES ahead of My Champion's.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

AB23 wrote:
Macca wrote:This one's no so good. Sounds like something Kelly Clarkson woulda released in the mid 00's with a token guitar solo thrown in
You're talking about passive agressiveness all the time and then directly insult everyone who doesn't agree with your opinions. I'd say that's hypocritical, but it's actually simply stupid.

It obviously doesn't sound like Kelly Clarkson, I'm sure Macca exaggerated a bit on purpose, but it's definitely more pop-y than you'd expect from Alter Bridge, and I also think it lacks the great melodies from similar songs like Ghost. And yeah, I think the solo is definitely one of the worst they've ever put on a record.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Blackbird wrote:
AB23 wrote:
You're talking about passive agressiveness all the time and then directly insult everyone who doesn't agree with your opinions. I'd say that's hypocritical, but it's actually simply stupid.
I'm not the first to jump and defend Monty, but that's how he and Macca communicate pretty much. :D

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Okay, that's a different story then. :D

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

After listening to it a few more times, I love it. My only gripe is that as previously mentioned, it's too loud. I think as a result, the transition from the prechorus to the chorus is almost absent. It's almost like they flow together without an actual transition. I absolutely love the song, thohgh.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Lotha wrote:TL;DR All Ends Well lyrics are MILES ahead of My Champion's.
*Myles

Lotha
Colloquial

the puns!

Post by Lotha »

WaywardOne wrote:
Lotha wrote:TL;DR All Ends Well lyrics are MILES ahead of My Champion's.
*Myles
That's why I capsed it, lol. :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Blackbird wrote:
AB23 wrote:

It obviously doesn't sound like Kelly Clarkson, I'm sure Macca exaggerated a bit on purpose, but it's definitely more pop-y than you'd expect from Alter Bridge, and I also think it lacks the great melodies from similar songs like Ghost. And yeah, I think the solo is definitely one of the worst they've ever put on a record.
To be fair, the beginning of the chorus does follow the melody of Since You Been Gone.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

^ Yeah, that's why it's so catchy.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The chorus kinda reminds me of P!nk's Try now that I think of it. Lyrically it's kind of similar as well, though I think Try's a bit more creative.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I like this song after a few listens. It's simple and not trying to break any barriers but has a nice loud upbeat atmosphere. I don't think it was really meant for dynamics. The solo isn't really getting enough praise either. All good stuff in my opinion.

I prefer this to SMAL.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

I just go fanboi mode during the lead up to a new album release. My true opinion of the song will probably not reveal itself for some months :shrug

For now though :rockon

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Crumbso wrote:

I prefer this to SMAL.
Despite all my criticism of My Champion, I do too.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Guess I'll be one of the few not in favor of the track, then. It's really cheesy/lyrics are borderline awful/it's ridiculously poppy and if I'm really honest, it doesn't sound like Alter Bridge at all. I showed the track to a friend of mine who has only heard a few AB tracks and his first remark was "That doesn't really sound like Alter Bridge at all to me". It sounds like AC/DC + a Slash had a baby in song form and I'm just really hoping that the rest of the album is better than the two tracks available right now.