"My Champion" Lyric Video

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: "My Champion" Lyric Video

Post by nagpo »

Just listened to this for the first time. I quite like it. It's not a hard song to like. It's pretty standard, by the books and with a positive message. Probably a good choice for a single

foz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by foz »

Ubik wrote:
foz wrote:Am I the only one that hears Zachs Song from School Of Rock in the intro?
That was an AC/DC tribute as well.
For Those About To Rock, of course. It's uncanny :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

This has probably been noticed and I missed it, but synth detected during the verse? Example being straight after "clarity".
For all of the hope that it brings...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ubik wrote:This has probably been noticed and I missed it, but synth detected during the verse? Example being straight after "clarity".
Might be. I hate when they use synths in this type of song. The song somehow feels "too loud". Same goes for "Sympathy" by Tremonti. Dunno why, but it's kinda stressful to listen to it sometimes. Well, at least for me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote:This has probably been noticed and I missed it, but synth detected during the verse? Example being straight after "clarity".
Yea, there's definitely something going on in the background. I like it!
Mr. Slash wrote:The song somehow feels "too loud". Same goes for "Sympathy" by Tremonti. Dunno why, but it's kinda stressful to listen to it sometimes. Well, at least for me.
Yea, I was listening to The Pineapple Thief's new album earlier and played My Champion afterwards and suddenly noticed that there really wasn't that much of a dynamic difference between the pre chorus and the chorus. Everything's just loud, especially the drums.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Mr. Slash wrote:The song somehow feels "too loud". Same goes for "Sympathy" by Tremonti. Dunno why, but it's kinda stressful to listen to it sometimes. Well, at least for me.
I like my music loud so it's a plus for me! :headbang

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
If everything's loud, nothing's loud...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ And if everything is loud, nothing will stand out, and you sit back after hearing the album/song and go, "What was that? I couldn't distinguish anything that happened in the song."

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

Does someone knows what's the tunning of My Champion?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Because I lose my hearing? Or what do you mean?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Because I lose my hearing? Or what do you mean?
Variety is key and spice of life and stuff. If everything is too loud, too spamy, too whatever, then no key moments has a good chance at standing out. For instance, if every AB song is loud and have too much chugg chugg riffs going at a 100 miles an hour, and everything becomes dark, they would just all sound the same and we can't pick out the memorable moments. AB needs to time certain moments to pause and quiet down a bit to set up the big loud moments to get maximum impact (which is why I typically praise the moments before the bridge in their songs, not just the bridge itself).
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Most music these days are so compressed so that the volume remains relatively constant throughout. Has its pros and cons. Never really have to play with the volume dial during a song because things get too quiet or too loud. But there should definitely be more dynamics in this stuff to make stuff more interesting.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB Champion Twitter response……Overwhelmingly positive
AB's own fan page …….Mostly negative,go figure

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

You complain about others opinions of art way too much. Who cares. I like the song, but I dgaf if you think its harmful to mankind. Its art, and its opinions are subject to the beholder. This is a website that is based on art. In fact, we devote more of our lives to this "art" and thus will usually strictly scrutinize said art. Let people say what they want, and let's stop bitching about this page. Because I very much like that people can point out parts of songs that I may not have noticed. That means they're listening intently.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:You complain about others opinions of art way too much. Who cares. I like the song, but I dgaf if you think its harmful to mankind. Its art, and its opinions are subject to the beholder. This is a website that is based on art. In fact, we devote more of our lives to this "art" and thus will usually strictly scrutinize said art. Let people say what they want, and let's stop bitching about this page. Because I very much like that people can point out parts of songs that I may not have noticed. That means they're listening intently.
I complain to much about others viewpoints……yeah probably but its rich coming from some1 who does the exact same thing,peace out :peace

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Heard it for the first time this afternoon after a totally shittay day at work. I can tell you it definitely lifted my spirits in a good way. As a MAJOR fan of Ghost, I'm not sure how this stacks up against it, but it's right there. I wasn't excited about SMaL, but My Champion got me excited about the album again in a good way.

I also don't think the lyrics are all that cliche like some of you. The first verse is masterful lyrically. I'm not a fan of half verses like the second one (I love Black Stone Cherry, but they are VERY guilty of this) but everything else about the song I love. I'll be humming this melody for weeks.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Raven wrote:
AB23 wrote:You complain about others opinions of art way too much. Who cares. I like the song, but I dgaf if you think its harmful to mankind. Its art, and its opinions are subject to the beholder. This is a website that is based on art. In fact, we devote more of our lives to this "art" and thus will usually strictly scrutinize said art. Let people say what they want, and let's stop bitching about this page. Because I very much like that people can point out parts of songs that I may not have noticed. That means they're listening intently.
I complain to much about others viewpoints……yeah probably but its rich coming from some1 who does the exact same thing,peace out :peace
I don't complain. I explain why I disagree. There's a huge difference in being respectful of one's opinion but stating why you don't agree with it, and passive aggressively mocking those who disagree with yourself. If you don't like the opinions expressed at TABN, you're more than welcome to lurk or leave.

One thing that no one will deny here is that I'm not passive aggressive. I may be critical of AB, but I'll be up front about it and up front with others instead of being a petulant child about other's opinions. On the other hand, when I like an AB song, I'll defend every part of it (another thing that no one here would ever deny about me).

I'm not so sure where you're from specifically, but if its America, I feel sorry that the values adopted in this country haven't been engrained in your soul yet. Especially when it comes to art. Art is subject to the opinion of the beholder. Do you think AB walks around on some high horse, and when someone says "man I just didn't like this song at all" they respond "fuck you man you're wrong!" No. They probably don't care. Because its art. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll see where I'm coming from. A song is not objectively good or objectively bad EVER. Its 100% up to the opinion of the listener. So please, before you ever mock this board again, figure that simple concept out.

If someone doesn't like a song, who cares. I'm not getting on my knees for AB. I've certainly given them more tangible assets than they've ever provided me. If your heart can't take someone being critical of a band's song for various reasons, then ignore them or explain why you disagree with them. Don't make a childish comment "oh yet another song that TABN doesn't like. Go figure."

Jesus Christ. I'm not trying to pick on you, but its music for God's sake. Do you have any sort of statistical analysis of why a particular song is better than another? Or better than another band's? I would guess that you didn't. Because its an opinionated-driven industry.

Don't take offense to any of this. Just learn. Be more understanding and learn to say "I disagree because of X, Y, and Z." Not "oh wow. Who would've thought YOU wouldn't like the song." You understand the difference, right? One is respectful disagreement and an explanation of why. The other is clearly patronizing the person just because of his opinion. The latter has no place here, otherwise you'll get a lecture.
Last edited by AB23 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PT5150
Brand New Start

Post by PT5150 »

Sounds good...I like it....Yes can hear some AC/DC type riff at the start.
Keen to hear some of the heavier stuff on the album..

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I was just telling someone about a review I read of another bands album the other day, one poster in the user comments logged it just to say "they suck." Why in the blue hell would someone take the time to log into a site, just to put something down without giving an objective reason why? Totally agree with many of your points, Monty.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I was honestly a little put off by the lyrics at first. It feels like Myles went to a "motivational memes" page on Facebook and just started reading everything he saw. I like the positivity though, and happy to see AB still bringing that feel to their songs. Between Leader and this song, it definitely seems like this album is going to have its own feel, which is a good thing. So far each album has had its own feel and identity, an almost reinvention each time, so that makes me a happy fan.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.