"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:Shea has opened up my eyes to just how many random websites post reviews of albums.
Will they open their eyes
And realize there are tons?

:lol

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Beat Shea to this one ;)

http://www.onemetal.com/2016/10/03/alte ... last-hero/

When I first got into metal I was very keen for everyone to know about it. I plastered my school bags and books with patches and stickers of my favourite bands, I adorned my arms in leather and spikes, and I sacrificed goats right out in the town square for everyone to see. I danced naked around the sacrificial flames and made love to the witches of the woods as I carved demonic symbols into my flesh. I offered my soul up to Satan from the roof of the local Sainsbury’s as the town looked on in petrified terror, and I eventually stabbed my close friend and associate 23 times in the head and torso, later claiming self-defence. We’ve all been there.

This sort of conduct is common among music fans new to the world of metal; the earnest compulsion to overtly express their dedication at every opportunity until it almost seems ingenuous or like a transparent attempt to prove one’s worth. But eventually they settle down and become comfortable in themselves and their newfound scene to the point that the casual observer might not recognise them for a fan of metal, were it not for the occasional band t-shirt. I feel like this is where Alter Bridge are at with The Last Hero.

In this I mean no disrespect to their back-catalogue, which I actually rather enjoy. I just always had the niggling feeling that Kennedy’s anthemic vocals were pulling in a slightly different direction to the menacing guitars and aggressive drumming, which stubbornly kept everything rooted in the realm of metal. The Last Hero has an air about it of a band who are comfortable in themselves and in expressing their varied musical influences. On their fifth outing, the Floridians sound bigger, bolder and altogether more cohesive. There’s a little more melody in both the vocals and the guitars, and a little more breathing space in the drums.

You can hear it straight away in album opener ‘Show Me a Leader’, which roars into life with an uplifting melody and a gleeful wail. It’s a stark juxtaposition to the moody, stomping riff that traditionally heralds the arrival of an AB record, and sets the tone for the rest of the album, which is much more upbeat and positive then we’ve previously been accustomed to. The ‘woah’s in the chorus also hint at that mainstream rock sound to which the rest of the album leans which, in a way, is a continuation and expansion on previous album Fortress.

Second song ‘The Writing on the Wall’ is more of what we’d expect from an AB album, while ‘The Other Side’ manages to project a sinister, seething malice without being heavy, but relying instead on a palm muted riff with accented chords and a restrained vocal whisper. Interestingly, one of the standout moments of the record is when the quartet discard familiar ties and fully embrace that mainstream rock sound on lead single ‘My Champion’. The lyrics have about as much cringe factor as a high school romance but the chord-oriented instrumentation makes way for Kennedy’s voice, which soars to all new heights with a newfound quality of richness. It reminds me of a chained animal finally breaking free of its shackles and has that larger-than-life anthemic sound that has been absent since the likes of ‘Open Your Eyes’.

Although retaining that hard rock stomp, the ensuing songs are slightly more melodic than we might expect, each constructed around chord progressions built to reach the dusty corners of vast stadiums. And then comes the seven-minute epic rock ballad and one of the standout moments of the album, ‘This Side of Fate’, and it’s hard not to hear the influence of Kennedy’s 2014 collaboration with the top-hatted one. The opus begins with the tinkling of a classical guitar before opening into a rolling rhythm section accompanied by uplifting orchestral strings that pay homage to that ‘November Rain’ sound. From here on in the song follows a structure of peak and trough, the music repeatedly gaining momentum and altitude as it builds into a crescendo only to be subdued again until it finally erupts into a triumphant guitar solo that wouldn’t sound out of place on a Queen record.

The Last Hero is certainly making a grasp for the big leagues and the traditionalist AB fan would be justified in feeling a little nervous at this point, but there’s plenty of classic Bridge to be found throughout. ‘Crows on a Wire’, ‘Island of Fools’ and album closer ‘The Last Hero’ all exhibit some of Tremonti’s finest work, with the descending tremolo of the latter sounding devastatingly apocalyptic. The riffs are just utterly tectonic and the sublime production is such that you can actually picture the buildings shaking under the weight of their deployment.

To return to my opening point, The Last Hero is an album that sounds organic and comfortable in itself. It’s not concerned with proving its metal credentials and therefore undermining itself, but is secure enough in its identity to let them take a backseat and merely influence the sound that pours forth from the speakers. Moreso than on previous releases, AB demonstrate their potential to be the next big stadium rock band to conquer the world, the likes of which haven’t been seen since the early 90s.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

:facepalm It's already posted on page 4. If people are gonna link reviews, at least look through the thread to see if it has or hasn't been posted already.

Lotha
Colloquial

*whistles*

Post by Lotha »

Why you gotta be so ruuuudeeee
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: *whistles*

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:Why you gotta be so ruuuudeeee
Because. It's just the truth.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.moshville.co.uk/reviews/albu ... last-hero/
When Alter Bridge sat down to begin work on their latest album, there must have been a bit of fear in them. How do you follow Fortress? Actually, they must do that with every album because somehow, they manage to make each album better than the last.

Reconvening after Myles Kennedy took on the world once more with Slash and the Conspirators and Mark Tremonti unleashed his inner metal demon with his self-titled band, there’s a sense of renewal, excitement and anticipation on The Last Hero. Tipped for a long time to be headlining the biggest festivals the rock world has to offer, if they had another Fortress, it could be the best thing they’ve ever done or it could stall their climb.

Alter Bridge - The Last HeroThankfully, Alter Bridge know what they’re doing. The Last Hero, just like every other album which followed it, contains all the Alter Bridge hallmarks whilst moving things forward just enough so it’s not a carbon copy of that which came before. Massive, chunky riffs? Check. Bombastic drums? Check. Thick bass grooves? Check. Arena-worthy choruses? Check.

A lot of Alter Bridge songs are about finding hope or overcoming adversity and whilst those are there with songs like “My Champion” and “You Will Be Remembered”, Myles Kennedy’s lyrics take aim at the problems the world is facing in 2016, namely in society and politics with songs like “Show Me a Leader”, “The Last Hero” and the sniping “Crows on a Wire”. With lyrics like “They plot and conspire”, it’s not hard to imagine who he’s directing his ire at.

I will admit that after one playthrough of the album, I wasn’t sure what to make of it. In the past, especially with AB III and Fortress, I was dumbstruck at the quality of music on the discs, immediately reaching for the play button. But here, not so much. I had to let it germinate. With each listen, it got better and better, taking hold. I’ve tried to pick out which songs will be played on tour but it’s hard to single out a handful, it seems they may well have been influenced by Kennedy’s time with Slash and made an entire album designed to be played live.

Conspicuous in its absence however, is the lack of that big ballad which is normally the standout track of past releases such as “Watch Over You” and “Wonderful Life”. “Cradle to the Grave” almost hits the mark but the aggressive, jet-fuelled chorus and the momentous bridge prevent that. Even up until the last track plays its final notes, you hold out hope that it will rear its head and it never does – “You Will Be Remembered” comes close before dashing your hopes. However, with the afore-mentioned songs, the band have a couple of great ones in their arsenal and it’s pointless to do it for the sake of it.

Then, there’s the musicianship on display. It’s this which has led people in their droves to this band. Whether it’s the duelling guitars of Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy on songs like “Island of Fools” and “Poison in Your Veins” with their crunching and chunky riffs, their individual tones and trademarks apparent a mile off for even the most casual of fans. Or the deep bass tones from Brian Marshall and Scott Philips’ powerhouse drumming. Philips may be stuck behind a kit but just like any guitarist, his personality and individualism shines through and he may well be one of the most overlooked drummers in rock at the moment.

Alongside the music, we have Myles Kennedy’s vocals. Turning in another stellar performance, years of touring and recording with two high profile bands has turned his impressive voice (and I’m talking from his Citizen Swing days) into monolithic presence. Listen to the first Alter Bridge album and this one and you’ll hear the refinement which has developed on his pipes. His lyrics, too. Still rich in imagery and relatable, he addresses them to the listener, thought-provoking and asking you to take a look around your life and the outside world, see what is wrong.

The Last Hero is a statement. A statement of what is wrong with the world. A statement for modern rock. Five albums in and with no end in sight, Alter Bridge have always strived to deliver and they never fail. Their quest for the top has gained traction in recent years and rightly so. This album is irrefutable proof that they belong in the upper echelons of rock’s greatest acts. Certainly they’ve managed to carve their niche of being one of the best modern rock acts, the world is theirs for the taking.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Let's try the same approach, then.

:facepalm People are just trying to help, Shea! I mean the least you can do is to remember not everyone has the time to go through 10 pages of similar reviews just to avoid an accidental double post.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:Let's try the same approach, then.

:facepalm People are just trying to help, Shea! I mean the least you can do is to remember not everyone has the time to go through 10 pages of similar reviews just to avoid an accidental double post.
:shrug oh well. I said what I said. No point in trying to deny it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote::shrug oh well. I said what I said. No point in trying to deny it.
That's very true. Myles has been trying to for the past decade, to no avail.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

You can't deny the house of cards just hit the floor! :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:You can't deny the house of cards just hit the floor! :lol
You can't save me anymore. I'm Too Far Gone. This I can't deny. I am now the uninvited. Peace is broken between us. Who'll Calm The Fire and get the Waters Rising? Will it be me as I Cry A River?

I don't know where I was going with that.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

:facepalm You only had one job, Shea!
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

In case Jim gets tired and TABN needs a new heavy, I nominate Shea.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

gbruin wrote:In case Jim gets tired and TABN needs a new heavy, I nominate Shea.
Thanks? :headscratch :shrug
AHart96 wrote::facepalm You only had one job, Shea!
And I did my job, Hartie! Maybe I stepped a tad over the line though. Guilt has set in.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
gbruin wrote:In case Jim gets tired and TABN needs a new heavy, I nominate Shea.
Thanks? :headscratch :shrug
It's a good thing.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

https://metal-heads.de/reviews/alter-br ... -07-10-16/

TRANSLATED:
Three years ago the last Alter Bridge album Fortress - and the fans waiting since bravely on the return of the America quad. And there they are again, the rock heroes: singer Myles Kennedy, (exceptional) guitarist Mark Tremonti, bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips have their fifth longplayer The Last Hero in his luggage - a monolith, living fully by the sound, have established the Alter Bridge over the years, with powerful vocal melodies, sublime guitar duels and punchy rhythm section.

Founded in 2004, Alter Bridge was directly gild the debut One Day Remains in the US. That was only the beginning. With each release, Alter Bridge scored reliably in the Top Charts, the WWE like served at Alter Bridge riffs and songs and halls were and are pickepackevoll! Europe? None Deut else. Fortress from 2013 gave the band their biggest chart success in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and United Kingdom.
never give up

In contrast to the gloomy atmosphere from its predecessor Fortress The Last Hero bursting with the unrestrained will to never give up: "Show me a leader did won`t compromise - show me a leader so hope never dies" Calls Myles Kennedy in the opener 'Show Me A Leader '- the first track of a series of audible driving high-energy Hard rock bursters. But of course not neglect Alter Bridge also their penchant for tasty-ballad numbers and 'Cradle To The Grave' and 'You Will Be Remembered' about form dreamy islands between fast, rough and extremely catchy songs such as rock anthem Losing Patience. And one thing is certain: The colossal earwig My champion will soon resound from thousands throats!

Produced by Michael "Elvis" Baskette (Slash, Trivium, Tremonti etc.) and Grammy winner Ted Jensen mastered to The Last Hero is so versatile and resolutely as we dared hardly dream.

People come together quickly, the circus is for the next 60 minutes in the city !!!
Show Me a Leader

while first single from the album. Almost two minutes intro, Hammer solo and hardcore riffing? Can you start making quiet times. Is also cool that way. Fats vocal melodies and second votes. Gee. The Writing on the Wall is similarly hard and perverse, but also melodic at the same time. Number three The Other Side is equipped with plenty of dissonant vocals and sounds, but opens with a great chorus, bringing increasingly beautiful melodies with it.
My Champion

is the second release of the album, and comes in a classic Alter Bridge sound of the debut album One Day Remains therefore. But listen to the best of itself.

Poison in Your Vains is ur-viles like ass, powerful uptempo riffing. Hammer. Cradle to the Grave, as the title hints at a slightly quieter Akkustiknummer with familiar melodies. This Side of Fate impresses again by bold guitar work, even if you actually do not have to mention extra Alter Bridge, it is in this song Extra rauszuheben. In between, sounds the longest song on the album (7: 01min) partially slightly MUSE. Mach nix ...

One will remember you

You Will Be Remembered comes as chic Ami rock ballad with demanding Drums and classic song structure and structure. Very nice catchy light fare.

Not so easy it comes with Crows on a Wire on. With giant steps Miles Kennedy stomps back into the heavy metal corner. Once there, he destroyed with his three bandmates, everything is at three not open tree. HUGE.

Number 11 is Twilight. A nice Schunkler with a slight tendency to folkloric.

Iceland of Fools - Menacing we come closer to the island of idiots. Once there's the same one with the very rough trowel ... With still plenty of air in the lungs Miles fought the inhabitants of the island with lots of support from Mark's inimitable guitar

The last number carries both the album title The Last Hero and fetzt directly wrong with In Flames similar volleys before we bring in massive epic Alter Bridge Geballer of the finest the plate violently to end.

Conclusion

Alter Bridge have forgotten absolutely nothing in your album longer break. On the contrary. They combine old habit Sounds (My Champion), with fattest guitar parts, duels, duplication, triplets, quads Rupp lungs and how else you like to call it. For me The Last Hero is much more to be regarded as the gloomy Fortress and an absolute must-buy. What the men have beaten Tremonti and Co. here in more than 60 minutes and 13 songs on the shekel is absolutely worth listening to.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.metalsymphony.com/alter-brid ... m-records/

TRANSLATED
Alter Bridge not want to lose the tug that have acquired the latter and after three years of that Fortress, we return to give another job as "The Last Hero". In this case, they change fichando by Napalm Records label, but except that, as usual, with the same producer and a disc very in line with the previous. The band have thought that if something works, do not need to touch and enjoy from October 7.

Few bands are having acceptance of public and press as these Americans. Proven quality guitars focused quite original way in terms of rhythms and arrangements, and a voice like Myles Kennedy is really unique. To say that it is appreciated that the experiment have forgotten to order Mark Tremonti voices in his previous job as singing in parts and prefer to enjoy as a vocalist Myles, that having him in the band, it is absurd to waste it. It seems to have reconsidered and each is dedicated to what you do best. Comparing The Last Hero with Fortress, found that the choruses and melodies have much hook, is a disc more inspired and attracts much more easily and many times reminiscent of albums like as Blackbird or AB III, albums where every song is memorable chorus and each different from the previous.

The disc opens with the first video already presented a few days ago as "Show Me a Leader", a song that needs time to go up in intensity with riffs and arpeggios of the guitar, to make way for a cañero topic though Kennedy focusing the voice hardrockero style, giving a curious and successful contrast.

It is unusual in Alter Bridge to talk about social issues, but in The Writing on the Wall speak of climate change. And, as is a dark future, they give us a very dark song, with guitars very Sabbath and, above all, strong contrasting with a melodious chorus and fun. The darkness is not there, but expands exponentially with "The Other Side" which, if not well remain as a single, it is one of the best songs compositionally speaking. Typical song the first time it becomes difficult to hear but then convinces a lot.

With My Champion changed the atmosphere giving a 180 degree turn, and we have a purely commercial song, focused sound on the radio. Choruses and catchy melodies and rich harmonies and joyful moments skimming pop. Nor should we think that is an extremely simple song, there are interesting pimps arrangements and melodies, is not a dispensable song at all, although not the best I have in The Last Hero or is a song that fans of the band are to put on top. Another song in this line is Twilight, but perhaps the latter has more chicha and rather call attention. happy song especially harmony and arrangements but with nostalgic touches voice.

Poison In Your Veins is the great disappointment, being a song that has already sounded before Alter Bridge. They have bet on what works and has left them a song without soul, without chicha, and shockingly similar to others like Addicted to Pain. Something similar, though not so exaggerated, about Losing Patience. Another cut that has an air past but are not so rude disks. The tunes in this case not stand out.

However, if there is a hit, this is Cradle to the Grave, which mixes acoustic guitar passages with heavy mid-tempo guitars, and, above all, Myles Kennedy demonstrating because it is one of the best vocalists of the time. If you love whisper and he does, who wants to get claw, has to give. Spend a little long and interesting This Side of Fate, which begins as a ballad to be growing in intensity and epic, from an average warm weather to a progressive and cutting cane.

The purest ballad is You Will Be Remembered with outstanding vocal melodies and the feeling of Myles, plus arrangements Tremonti and Myles with guitars.

After these softer cuts, back to the whip with Crows on a Wire, a song that hits more solo discography that Mark Tremonti Alter Bridge, especially by riffs as beasts of beginning. What is Alter Bridge is the chorus, resultón and perfect to please the masses. Along with this, the beast is Island of Fools, with an initial riff that borders on extreme metal, to make way for another cut that would stick perfect in a solo guitarist. Scott highlight the work of the battery, which will grow over the years, putting many details.

Left for the final cut that gives name to the disc, as a summary of what is Alter Bridge, a really interesting song, which grows in intensity, from the sound start as a ballad, giving way to a riff that mixes the metal with Arabic touches that gives way to a song with a melody 100% recognizable by fans of the band. When you think you've seen everything, suddenly a more extreme party gives way to a single melodic (the most sentimental has done without forgetting art) on a part time basis appears. In short, this last topic looking to have fun, and give a progressive air in which you do not expect each of the parties, from falling in love to shake the hair in just 20 seconds.

The album is good, very good. You may miss some more round theme such as a Blackbird, Find The Real or Isolation, songs that were maintained over the years. It has very good songs, and a couple of duds I must say. The band grating at a high level, and there are certain cuts that will be worthy of appearing on the set of the upcoming concert of the American band.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

ultraje.pt/alter-bridge-the-last-hero-nota-8-510/

TRANSLATED:
If there's one thing I book as absolute truth is that "Blackbird", 2007, is the best of this century hard-rock album not to be considered as such. The second album, the Alter Bridge had already been taken off the tics Creed still be heard on "One Day Remains" and has assumed that liked more metal label than the soft-rock-alternative. (What the Breaking Benjamin do). The balance was perfect and there was diversity for all: the ballads like "Watch Over You" still retained a certain adolescent poetry of naivety, but songs like "Rise Today" already gave us to know more militant side of the band. Years passed, there was "ABIII" and "Fortess" in the middle, and arrived at "The Last Hero", the Alter Bridge are already firmly in metal territory and do not make rogated when it comes time to galvanize the masses with topics the surface seem ideologically loaded.

Problem: not exactly have the best credentials.

If you want to be a metal band, take it! Walking on tour with "shinedown" and "theory of dead man" this life does not make you any favors. It is necessary to take a little more seriously, after all, let's not forget that the guys not named Myles Kennedy of the band are the Creed. The Creed!

The Alter Bridge still seem that friend who still listen to the same music that passed in 2004. That friend who still tune Commercial to listen to "My Immortal" of Evanescence.

Obviously none of this should affect the music, but the truth is that it does not exist in a vacuum and our expectations to hear an album determine how much we enjoy the experience. Because if you throw ourselves the "The Last Hero" under the aegis of the image that the band projects, we are able to hear some insincerity when the band decides to pull their gallons of metalheads and throw the heavy riffs of "Show Me The Leader" and "Writing on the Wall", the latter with the right church bells. You lose a lot with this approach, because these are of Alter Bridge promise we heard in 2007. And are incredible.

"The Other Side" is a chugs festival and only the voice of Myles Kennedy, whose harmonies keep the heavier themes within the radio-friendly parameters, it is denouncing that here there is anything other than modern metal. But stand back up about three decades and no one pestanejaria. Of course there are moments of lightness with "My Champion", "Poison In Your Veins" and "You Will Be Remembered" trio that serves to remind us that any time this fifth album we are never far from a stadium anthem. "Losing Fate" is less inspired time of assembly. Offers nothing in its melodic strength that other subjects do not do better. "Crows On A Wire" proves it.

The only sound now comes to us sparingly in "This Side Of Fate". There are a dosage with acoustic guitar and weight measured and the remaining rocker paraphernalia. Closing this tour de force, we are faced with "Twilight," "Island Of Fools" and "The Last Hero". The first recovers some of the enthusiasm for "My Champion" while the two themes that are finishing "The Last Hero" in submerge in heavy riffs and solos of a puckish Tremonti.

The vitality of the band seems assured. The Alter Bridge touch with anger and enthusiasm of those who have a weight to take up. Above all they are unwilling to curb any blow. In "The Other Side", hear from Myles Kennedy verse "If you believe this is the only way / Then you're a fool que needs to die" reveals that the band is not to be trifled. Although the dystopian future that will describe the album ( "Island Of Fools") sounds a bit cliché, it does not erase the sincerity with which attack the authoritarian and conformist masses. It also helps that the musical aggressiveness that pervades the album results without becoming too much glued to clichés already beaten the heavy metal. There are here the eclecticism of "Blackbird" and it would be hard to recommend "The Last Hero" who craves more songs like "One By One", but these are some Alter Bridge no longer turn back and changed the stone by the metal, no regrets.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Alter Bridge no longer turn back and changed the stone by the metal
Hell yeahh! You cannot kill the metal!