"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by fix »

Had they cut out standard tracks like This Side of Fate and You Will Be Remembered
:crazy

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

fix wrote:
Had they cut out standard tracks like This Side of Fate and You Will Be Remembered
:crazy
:lol

See here:
This is admittedly my first time hearing Alter Bridge

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's a pretty cool review, considering it's coming from somebody who'd never heard their music before.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://mega-metal.de/reviews/a/alter-br ... -hero.html

TRANSLATED
Japp, there they are again! Alter Bridge have now after three years that have come and gone since the last album "Fortress", a new material in the luggage and it is not too tight. Monumental 71 minutes finest song works are a cut around the ears. That is quite a considerable length and a certain challenge over the length, to maintain the quality uniformly high. This succeeds the stretching from the states fortunately almost effortlessly.
At first glance, sounds "The Last Hero" open and much less gloomy and depressing, than its predecessor. The opener "Show Me A Leader" radiates an enormously powerful aura. The songs are used to driving, thanks to the dependable rhythm section and the Alter Bridge usual catchy riffs. Given the unique vocals of singer Myles Kennedy and the excellent work of the lead guitar (just listen to just look at the solos from "The Side Of Fate" at - great cinema!). Moreover, the sound of "The Last Hero" has something bombastic se. In each note resonates with a certain epic, what you would probably write the absoulut successful production on the flag. In terms of variety which range, as well as its predecessor, serious progress billowing songs ( "Poison In Your Veins", "Crows On A Wire"), to dignified, part ballad numbers ( "My Champion", "Cradle To The Grave "). The focus is definitely on the slower but compositions that occupy a large part of the album.
"The Last Hero" has become an interesting and powerful album that perfectly plays out all the strengths of Alter Bridge and a total work of art leaves, which is highly recommended, the hard fraction but rather not serviced, and the plate therefore rather what shallower for lovers sounds be becomes. (Cl)

9/10

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.metalfan.nl/reviews.php?id=9611
Alter Bridge's been to his fifth album. The super group (consisting of Myles Kennedy and former members of Creed) know from the beginning seems a flying start and the rack is still far off. That proved already, but The Last Hero tries the band to expand its success even further the previous album Fortress. This time the gentlemen with an album full of songs that thematically linked to heroism and (failing) leadership.

Especially failed leadership is a hot topic and easy to fill an album. You have to do is to look at the current US election drama, which is choosing between two evils, and you'll find plenty of inspiration. Opening track Show Me A Leader (with great intro) knows how to articulate this striking, it sets the tone lyrically. Musically this track does however significantly from the rest of the material, and sounds a lot lighter. In addition, it seems that Myles Kennedy during the writing process with his head sat at his other patron (Slash), for the many 'nonono's' look very much to fall back on his work.

Then successor The Writings On The Wall more representative of The Last Hero and sounds a lot firmer. Anyways this album feels a lot heavier than what is usual for Alter Bridge. In fact, the whole sometimes tends more towards metal and that has to do with the powerful guitar riffs of Mark Tremonti. Strong tracks like Crows On A Wire and Island Of Fools are good examples. Now is the dividing line between hard rock and metal have always been thin at Alter Bridge, but it seems like the solo adventure Tremonti certainly influenced the more harder style.

But despite this stylistic change is The Last Hero just Alter Bridge as usual. The plate looks like a fusion of the entire discography and therefore there is every previously released album can be heard anything back. Unfortunately, this does not cause a plate that is equally strong on its board. With a running time of 68 minutes it takes too long and the album starts in the end too much to be the voice of Myles Kennedy. Moreover, it seems much of the material in the first spins on each other, though My Champion, Show Me A Leader and You Will Remembered exceptions to this.

The Last Hero is therefore not become the best album of Alter Bridge. The group also has a firm discography that should exceed this. Still, it's a good album with great songs. Weak brothers are not there and the skill of the musicians is like you're used to high. The only thing missing are the real outliers that lift the sheet to a higher level. Fans can purchase The Last Hero, however, without a doubt and radio-friendly songs like My Champion and Show Me A Leader will try to expand the fanbase. As growth remains back and seems like a place headlining summer festivals increasingly in sight.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.themidlandsrocks.com/alter-b ... last-hero/
Creating a new album has the potential to be a very daunting task if you’re a member of Alter Bridge. There are reputations to uphold, like your singer having the greatest voice in Rock, all of your albums receiving a high critical appraisal, your last release charting at #12 in the Billboard Top 200 and endless comments surrounding your band’s place at the pinnacle of a genre that spans over 50 years. That’s without considering that the band’s spearheads Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti lead very successful projects of their own outside of the AB camp; fronting Slash and The Conspirators and Tremonti respectively. The band has still managed to find the time, however, to produce one of their finest efforts to date. Beginning work at the advent of 2016, just ten months later the four-piece find themselves edging ever closer to the album’s release date, following relentless graft; a process in which they’re most comfortable working in.

As can be found with many current releases, Alter Bridge has made a shift towards denser, more challenging lyrical themes; ones that discuss politics and the world’s ever-changing, volatile social climate. Where the album title The Last Hero may appear at its surface to be a “baby’s first Metal band” sort of name, it does have substance. The self-titled album finale is a cry for a saviour, interpretable for any situation, but presumably to be in direct relation to 2016 America and it’s political uncertainty. Singer and guitarist Kennedy speaks of the record as a whole, stating that it is “definitely an exploration of the hero theme – whether it be the lack of heroes, the need for heroes, or a tribute to heroes.” Similarly to the title track, opener and lead single “Show Me A Leader” gives definition to the album’s key mindset and calls for the necessity of a strong leadership in the USA, and hence a strong system. As an opening track should do, it also sets the tone of the album musically. Quintessentially Alter Bridge, it begins with a long, rhythmic intro that breaks into pummelling verse and a desperate, yet uplifting chorus. It’s heavy and melodic in perfectly equal measures, even denser than previous material with the debut of Tremonti’s monstrous seven-string.

In continuation of pushing their boundaries, the band have also implemented several new tunings and made sure to include more melodic and uplifting elements to draw away from their predominantly dark sound. Regardless, it’s a sound that is instantly recognisable and Kennedy’s voice, an instrument in its own right, is used to overwhelming effect. “The Writing On The Wall” has a heavy, pulsating rhythm section with Brian Marshall and Scott Phillips slamming hard, with “The Other Side” continuing in a similarly, crushingly heavy vein. Vocal proceedings open with a soft whispering before Kennedy unleashes his high-pitched and soulful sound; it’s a voice that’s very difficult to describe and do justice in doing so. It nails so many different keys, pitches and octaves with effortless ease and in a way that so many others could only wish for; just one element that makes Alter Bridge so damn good. “My Champion” and “Poison In Your Veins” achieve the more uplifting and lighter sounding elements that the band set out to strive for on this record, spirited choruses and all. They’re a vast change in key from the songs prior.

The Last Hero switches thing up things up even further in its mid-section, with the more delicate and gentle “Cradle To The Grave” and “This Side of Fate.” The former has strings not far from a Spanish guitar sound and Phillips’ usual skin and china bashing is reduced to something much more reserved. There’s a chorus huge and dark in uncertainty, too, with the highly resonant lyrics “From the cradle to the grave, it’s a fear I can’t escape. Where would be my hiding place when you’re gone?”

The latter of the two tracks is ballad-like and nods towards older songs like “Ghost of Days Gone By.” Instrumentally slackening off and toning down the intensity in songs like these only push Kennedy’s vocal prowess further to the forefront, with next to nothing to distract from it. It’s also one of two tracks on the album that comfortably span seven minutes, feeling not a moment too long (dedicating yourself to an album of nearly 70 minutes is a rarity in this day in age, though.)

All throughout the record, even during its heaviest parts, it retains the most pristine and clean production, aptly fitting to Alter Bridge’s stadium-filling status. This is evident in what is probably the heaviest track on the album: “Crows On A Wire”, with its thunderous bass and bone-crunching, weighty riffs. It showcases one of many concise, punchy guitar solos, too – a component that bands like this can often overwork and make tedious. The Hard Rockers’ reputation of consistency is more than upheld for the duration, with not a substandard song to be found and twists and turns in all the right places, like the teasing breakdown that never comes during “Losing Patience.” The self-titled is an emotional tribute in itself, but also a fitting tribute to close an album of such dexterity and musicianship. It features what is probably one of the band’s most finely crafted solos to date, too.

It’s difficult to tell whether this is Alter Bridge’s best album, as they really do have nothing bad to compare to, and there’s no telling as to whether they’re even anywhere near reaching their peak yet. Casting that aside, though, it is little short of a masterpiece and as each of the band’s new records demonstrates, one of the finest Rock records around.

9 out of 10

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Not much of a "review" but hey...

http://www.rocksound.tv/reviews/read/al ... -last-hero

"Larger than life"

Whilst not straying too far from the path stylistically, the long-serving Floridian’s sound is determined as ever on ‘The Last Hero’.

It turns out that title is perfectly suited to their larger than life hard rock. ‘Show Me A Leader’ and ‘My Champion’ swell with passion; all big riffs, rallying choruses and uplifting lyrics. And the Kennedy / Tremonti partnership remains solid with their intelligently arranged and complimenting melodies.

Everything’s here from a band that still pack arenas, whilst there’s enough progression to ensure they’re ahead of their peers.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Shea - please quote this one (at work once again). Cheers assistant!! ;)

http://www.rocknreelreviews.com/review/ ... last-hero/

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I'll go ahead and do it, if that's okay...
Alter Bridge are a relatively divisive band within hard rock and metal circles. To some they are, and will always be, 3/4 of the much maligned alternative rockers Creed in possession of a singer who has a tendency to deliver the sort of nasal wail that is largely unpalatable and can send packs wolves rapturous in the night. To others, they have long since cast off the shackles of their Creed baggage, have carved their own path, and all the while containing within their ranks one of modern rocks most distinctive, dynamic and versatile voices. On whichever side of the fence you sit, The Last Hero will not likely change your opinion. For the purpose of clarity, yours truly exists in the latter camp. To these ears Alter Bridge are a much needed band, capable of weaving shades of the darkest black and brightest white into their sonic tapestry, they feature world beating talent within their ranks and who, perhaps most importantly, are a band that have the potential to bring heavy rock to the largest of stages; they are a genuine next generation headline act. One of only a handful of bands with the potential to fill the void that will be vacated when the Iron Maiden’s and Metallica’s of the world are gone. This isn’t unfounded speculation either, it’s supported by the fact that, at least in the UK, they are supporting The Last Hero with a full arena tour, playing to thousands of devoted fans, highlighting their popularity in the face of minimal mainstream support… moreover they are proudly supporting heavier metal through the trek by bringing both Volbeat and Gojira along for the ride too. This is surely one of the most exciting touring packages of the winter and highlights the bands commitment to spreading hard rock and metal to the masses.

Resoundingly, popular opinion informs that the band peaked with sophomore record ‘Blackbird’, and you’ll have no argument for that here. ‘Blackbird ‘is as close to a modern classic as you’ll get… Full of huge, anthemic tracks, it is the epiphany moment where the band stood out on their own and truly made an impression as a genuinely credible force in rock.

Like all of the bands output following ‘Blackbird’, The Last Hero ploughs a much heavier furrow… The metal tendencies of the band have become increasingly pronounced as they have developed through their career. It’s full of chunky riffs, driving rhythms and the quite awesome shredding skills of Mark Tremonti – surely one of modern rock music’s guitar greats. Like ‘Cry of Achilles’ or ‘Into the Void’ from Fortress and AB3 respectively, The Last Hero’s opening number Show Me A Leader is simply colossal. The first single released from the record, it’s hard not to be moved both by the thunderous riffage and wild hooks, but also by its none-to-subtle sociopolitical commentary on the vacuum of leadership within the current American political process – the frustration and bile are both understandable and all too pertinent (a vacuum not unique to the US; its suitability to listeners across the pond in a post-Brexit UK resonates all too closely). It’s a wonderful track, encapsulating all of the musical traits fans of this band have come to so enjoy. The Writing on the Wall carries along at a similar pace, and while not as immediately impactful as its predecessor, is another classic slab of the bands trademark hard rock. The Other Side sees the bands darker tendencies creeping to the fore; a metallic post-grunge sound that marries the heaviness of black-era Metallica with the dark unsettling tonality of Alice in Chains conjoined with its bleak ‘judge not, lest ye be judged’ lyrics, it all combines to brilliant effect and is one of many album highlights. Following the quagmire-like darkness of The Other Side, My Champion, the albums second single, is veering on bubblegum pop in comparison. Like previous anthems ‘Rise Today’ or ‘Open Your Eyes’, the major chords, hooky chorus and positive lyrics about self fulfilment and empowerment aren’t anything you’ve not heard before though, frankly, that’s all balanced by the fact it’s simply a great tune.

Cradle To The Grave has a ‘Blackbird’-lite vibe to it; its gentle arpeggios rolling into crunching riffs and blistering shredding from Tremonti. Losing Patience is probably the most identifiably classic rock track on the album, Myles Kennedy’s work with Slash vocally bleeding into the day job, and all in it’s hugely catchy and one of the ‘hookiest’ on the record. The album concludes with Island of Fools and The Last Hero. Island of Fools is, not simply an album highlight, but a career one. The dynamics that the band employ on this track; from the colossally heavy guitar tones and riffs to the frankly massive chorus with euphoric vocal harmonies between Kennedy and Tremonti; the track positions itself as easily one of the strongest they’ve ever recorded. Period. The Last Hero concludes in typically grandiose fashion which, albeit a great tune, is somewhat overshadowed by the latter track.

In reality there are only a couple of filler tracks on The Last Hero, Poison In Your Veins is fun but forgettable and This Side of Fate is similarly flat and skippable. Otherwise it’s all another solid collection of songs from Alter Bridge which, if perhaps a bit less immediate than its successor Fortress, is a worthy addition to their growing canon of excellent work.

Fantastic!
He used the term "latter" incorrectly, unless he was referring to the unnamed Last of Our Kind.

It's a shame this is yet another reviewer not thinking much of This Side of Fate. What can I say? I have not heard it yet myself. I was (and still am) hoping for its length to help be a factor in any potential epicness that it brings along with it. But using an adjective like "flat" and placing it negatively in the same sentence as Poison In Your Veins does not provide me with a lot of optimism.

Ah well, for me it's just another 24 hours and 5 minutes until I'm giving this its first full listen! By that point I will be able to create my own impression of that song, among the others.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

My spidey senses tell me that "flat" may not be a word often used to describe This Side of Fate.
For all of the hope that it brings...

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The main problem with Alter Bridge’s sixth album becomes apparent about six tracks in. Cradle to the Grave brings a few moments of delicate restraint to the party, but up to that point every last second of The Last Hero is purposefully, relentlessly bombastic, as if every fader has been shoved into the red. Still much heavier and more overtly metallic than their modern arena-rock peers, the Florida quartet have always made music designed to resonate around stadia, but 66 minutes of this kind of overwrought caterwauling is a little exhausting. That said, there are great songs here: opener Show Me a Leader is a dark, fiery anthem, The Other Side deftly salutes Metallica’s genre-defining crunch and Crows on a Wire is a fine showcase for guitarist Mark Tremonti’s love of nasty thrash. It falls some way short of 2010’s ABIII – still their best album by some distance – but The Last Hero can hardly be decried as half-arsed. It’s just that there is such a thing as trying too hard.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

ABIII their best album? That's...something.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Honestly I agree 100% with that quote... well maybe 99%, Fortress is their best album for me, but everything else is spot on.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Arctic wrote:ABIII their best album? That's...something.
ABIII is my favorite AB record.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Was just gonna share this myself. 6th album? Stupid review

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Loudwire's review of The Last Hero.
Fans have certainly been looking forward to Alter Bridge‘s latest album, The Last Hero. That’s evidenced by the disc’s runaway victory in Loudwire’s poll to become the October 2016 Release of the Month.

It’s also Alter Bridge’s fifth studio album, one more than guitarist Mark Tremonti, bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips’ band Creed released.

The disc utilizes influences from both Alter Bridge’s early days and their more recent material, and injects some new things into the mix as well, such as alternate tunings and recording on a seven-string guitar for the first time.

Frontman Myles Kennedy says, “We weren’t afraid to travel certain roads we might’ve been hesitant to venture down on the last two albums. As a result, some of the songs are more uplifting and melodic. There was certainly a psychological shift. We embraced the past. You hear elements of each record throughout our history.”

The Last Hero kicks off with “Show Me a Leader,” which takes a while to kick in but soon displays a sing-along chorus, beefy riffs and a shredding solo. They amp up the heaviness on “The Other Side,” while “My Champion” is inspirational and anthemic with hooks that won’t quit.

Tremonti’s guitar prowess is well known, as are Kennedy’s vocal chops. What you may not know is that Kennedy is a skilled guitarist, as well. “This is the first record where Myles planned out his solos beforehand,” Tremonti reveals. “In the past, he would wing it with this magical, improvisational touch. What he did is amazing. Me and Slash have both said he’s the best guitar player in our bands.”

This is a front-loaded album with the strongest songs on the first half. There’s a gem or two on the latter half, such as the power ballad “You Will Be Remembered” that pays tribute to those who serve their country and community and the closing title track, a nearly seven minute song that flows from a mid-tempo rocker to a more intense urgent section before ending with a flourish.

The band has worked with producer Michael “Elvis” Baskette (Trivium, Chevelle) for the past few albums (he also produced all of the Tremonti albums), and he’s back for The Last Hero. He delivers a balanced production that gives plenty of volume to Marshall and Phillips, adds enough atmosphere to make things interesting, and unleashes the guitars.

Most of Alter Bridge’s albums have clocked in at more than an hour, and The Last Hero is their longest one yet. Cutting a song or two may have been beneficial, but even the tracks that may not stand out among the others are redeemed by the musicianship and Kennedy’s potent singing.
http://loudwire.com/alter-bridge-the-la ... ck=tsmclip

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

BIG, BOMBASTIC, BRILLIANT – ROCK’S MOST CONSISTENTLY THRILLING HEROES RIDE AGAIN

1 SHOW ME A LEADER

When an album is imbued with the spirit of heroism, the opening track has to boldly throw down the gauntlet. Job done.

2 THE WRITING ON THE WALL

Military snares and a battering-ram riff herald a Myles Kennedy vocal that commands the attention – important with a song dealing with global warming.

3 THE OTHER SIDE

This stays on the dark side all the way through, thanks to downward-spiralling guitar giving way to a crunchy bed of riffs.

4 MY CHAMPION

An intro sounding remarkably similar to AC/DC’S For Those About To Rock (We Salute you) is usurped by one that sounds like Alter Bridge – albeit a more mature version.

5 POISON IN YOUR VEINS

Myles’ vocals course through the listener as they surf on the serrated edge of a Mark Tremonti riff. So big and infectious you should be quarantined for listening to it.

6 CRADLE TO THE GRAVE

Like My Champion, this one doesn’t scrimp on heft, but takes longer to envelop than its more instant kin.

7 LOSING PATIENCE

A little undercooked – especially in the company of such accomplished tunes.

8 THIS SIDE OF FATE

Think you’ve heard AB at their most epic? Think again!

9 YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED

As befits a song dedicated to someone that Myles suggests he will ‘Not forget or let your memory go’, this is unforgettable, and puts the ‘power’ in power ballad.

10 CROWS ON A WIRE

While this is darker than a crow at midnight, it feels more like a guitar workout than a well-rounded tune.

11 TWILIGHT

One of the finest showdowns between Myles’ voice and Mark’s guitar.

12 ISLAND OF FOOLS

You want heavy? HAVE ALL THE HEAVY!

13 THE LAST HERO

With a chorus so big you’ll want to run up a hill and plant a flag in the top of it, things end perfectly here. Once again, Alter Bridge emerge as heroes.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

You call such thing a review?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

antiwal
Loyal Follower