"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Jim
Blood Machines

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by Jim »

So Shea's been on a review hunt it seems :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jim wrote:So Shea's been on a review hunt it seems :lol
You bet! :D

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Think I beat Shea to this one? :dance

http://noisefull.com/reviews/alter-bridge-last-hero

There are still heroes in music and Alter Bridge prove once again that they belong among them

There’s no need trying to measure the potential and the influence of an artist that started out during the last two decades, especially compared to the great ones that thrived in past decades. Times have changed, but that doesn’t mean that new leaders don’t emerge, as this generation produces its own heroes. Alter Bridge want to prove once again that they belong among them with their new album.

After four amazing albums and a big journey from disappointment and uncertainty to recognition, no one can argue that Alter Bridge have an established name in both shores of the Atlantic. Some would argue that it’s the connection with Creed and others that it’s the fact that Myles Kennedy became Slash’s wingman, but in fact, it’s only the music they’ve put out that brought them here.

"The Last Hero" is a follow up to the heavier side that was presented on "Fortress" and the darker colors of "ABIII", keeping the character of the band intact, but at the same time adding a few newer elements. This time, producer Elvis Baskette led them to a more "rock" oriented and less polished sound, built around Mark Tremonti’s huge riffs and Brian Marshall’s and Scott Philips’ concrete rhythm section. But then it’s Myles Kennedy that once again shines with his performance, confirming something we already knew; that Alter Bridge is his natural environment.

One can find some straightforward, rocking tunes like leading single "Show Me A Leader", the already fan favorite "My Champion" or the US oriented (musically and lyrically) "You Will Be Remembered". At the same time there are tunes heading to the heavier direction of the previous album like the mid-tempo "The Other Side" or the ferocious "Island Of Fools". And then there’s a song like "This Side Of Fate", with the first half reminding of "All Hope Is Gone" (from "ABIII") and the latter half sounding like a heavier version of a Muse song.

While there are nice songs like "Crows On The Wire" and "Twilight" helping the album to flow nicely there are some tunes that make the difference. "The Writing On The Wall" with its awesome melodies, the dynamic "Poison In Your Veins" and "Losing Patience" with their catchy choruses or the epic ending with the title track are some of them. But I think it’s "From The Cradle To The Grave" that (along with "My Champion") will be the real standout tracks for most of the band’s fans. Myles’ performance on the verse of the song should be enough proof for everyone.

There’s no need to say more. Alter Bridge continue their flawless discography with "The Last Here" creating an enjoyable album from start to finish. Only time and subjective points of view can tell where it will stand in comparison the other albums of the band, but the fact is that it’s an equally qualitative piece of work. And this is a great achievement itself.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

antiwal wrote:Think I beat Shea to this one? :dance
DAMN YOU! :lol

http://insidethepit.net/alter-bridge-th ... um-review/
Not many musical talents these days exceed the test of time, and continue their momentum long past their initial breakthrough. Then, you have your outlier bands, who prove time and time again that their resilience far surpasses the changing times. Set to release their fifth album, The Last Hero, on October 7th, Alter Bridge has been bridging the gap between quality hard rock/heavy metal since 2004, and their latest works proves that they have no intent on slowing down any time soon.

In order to assess just what makes a metal group great, you have to break it down from the core. For instance, take a powerful rhythm section with the talents of Scott Phillips on drums and Brian Marshall on bass, head it with guitar phenoms Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy exchanging astounding solos, top it with with the amazing vocal range of Myles Kennedy, as well as Tremonti’s contributions on backing vocals. Therein lies pure chemistry, a staple in the foundation for what makes a hard rock/heavy metal band stand out amongst the others. Alter Bridge is without a doubt a band that has warranted merits to be mentioned with the likes of some of the biggest names around, and could hold their own in comparison to the likes of Iron Maiden or even Metallica.

The album is inevitably compacted with all of the elements that make a rock album flow seamlessly. With the exceptionally potent intro to the record, “Show Me A Leader” the tone is immediately set from the get go. The velocity endures into the next cut, “The Writing on the Wall”. The innate talent of Phillips’s rhythmic ability is showcased here on the percussion, without being overbearing over even the other faintest details in the background, all whilst being amplified by a hearty chorus. The next track entitled, “The Other Side” is a beautiful ballad of a song that fully illuminates the group’s vocal capacity in the form of refrains and riffs.

“My Champion” the album’s fourth installment, is an ode to guitarist Myles Kennedy’s parents. This track focuses on the fact that, as a meek child, he had to work exceedingly hard to achieve his goals, and the encouragement from his parents drove him to do so. The songs underlining message is the heartfelt aspect of the group that their fans have come to know and adore over the years. “Poison in Your Veins” reinitiates the faster pace, and is a classically composed, inspirational tune about the adage of believing in oneself, and not taking no for an answer.
In sight of the albums title, “You Will Be Remembered” is a befittingly profound, fervent composition that is a homage to those who make the ultimate sacrifice for our country, the true heroes of our nation. This is followed by, “Crows on A Wire,” yet another weighty cut concentrated on the foul, illusory world of politics. In continuity with the trend from their prior installment, Fortress, The Last Hero’s title track concludes with a finale of epic proportions. It conveys all peaks and valleys of what makes a metal song a classic, a flawless bookend on an overall phenomenal record.

This group hasn’t wasted a moment of their days, and have concocted yet another stellar addition to their collection of great music. Indeed, Alter Bridge has fashioned a catalog that is worthy of acclaim, and their new album should definitely one of your final pickups for the year of 2016. You can pre-order The Last Hero at www.AlterBridge.com or pick it up in stores on October 7th.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.metalmasterkingdom.com/album ... bum-review
“Every time we do a record, my only goal is for people to simply think it’s better than the previous record”. Guitarist Mark Tremonti made that statement when talking about Alter Bridge’s upcoming fifth studio effort The Last Hero. While I understand what he is aiming for, as of right now, I am not entirely convinced The Last Hero has outdone 2013’s outstanding masterpiece Fortress. With that being said, The Last Hero is an excellent record, and is certainly one I would put on repeat.

For the latest release, the Orlando quartet decided to make the album about heroes and for heroes. This can be heard throughout the album on songs such as lead single “Show Me A Leader”, “My Champion”, and the title track “The Last Hero”. You can certainly tell current world issues and the lack of leadership is at the forefront of “Show Me A Leader” with a strong chorus and lyrics like “Show me a leader that won’t compromise” making the message loud a clear. They have also tried some new ideas on the album such as using a 7-string guitar, this can be heard on “The Other Side”, and “Crows On A Wire” and man does it sound good.

We all know Alter Bridge is good at blistering solos, gut-wrenching guitar work and ground-shaking drums in their songs, however on every record, there is always that one power ballad that is popular. This time around, it is “You Will Be Remembered”. It is by far the best powerful ballad they have ever done in my opinion. It is a tribute to all the heroes out there that have put their lives on the line for what they believe in. Whether it be men of history or past and current members of the military, this song is for them and it is one of my favourite songs on the album and my favourite ballad they have ever done.

Overall, I am not entirely convinced that The Last Hero better than their previous record simply because the songs were so well done and it was just amazing from start to finish. However, The Last Hero is an epic record in its own right. There are plenty of heavy-hitting tracks and powerful ballads to please any hard rock fan. I am certainly going to pick up a copy when it comes out and you should do the same.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://amnplify.com.au/cpt_reviews/alte ... um-review/
On October 7, Floridian rock quartet Alter Bridge are set to release their fifth studio album. Entitled The Last Hero, this record has been highly anticipated by fans worldwide, myself included. When Alter Bridge first premiered Show Me A Leader, I was admittedly a bit disappointed. The track had a promising intro, but the body of the song itself lacked that particular energy which Alter Bridge usually bring to the table. However, it is growing on me now—and so is the rest of the record.

Just as Show Me A Leader, The Last Hero as a whole initially left me wanting more. Jumping into this album with incredibly high expectations after having had AB III—one of my favourite albums of all time—and the immensely formidable latest release Fortress periodically on repeat for years, I kept waiting for something extra during my first spins of Show Me A Leader. Eventually I stopped wishing for it to leave me out of breath like Fortress had, and I began to properly pay attention. And that was when I fell in love.

This is not to say that there is nothing about this album that knocks you off your feet from the start. For instance, The Other Side, with its epically dark riffs and lyrics heavily centred on finality, and the brooding melancholy Cradle To The Grave both became instant favourites and left lasting impressions in their wake. But there are quite a few tracks on this album that I felt needed more listens than usual before they properly struck. Perhaps I expected all tracks of The Last Hero to be, like I found those of AB III and Fortress, anchored in a universal sort of atmospheric foundation. Whereas the two previous albums had haunting and raw power respectively, The Last Hero is not as easily placed. It definitely contains elements reminiscent of both AB III and Fortress, but it adds something new to the mix that threw me off in the beginning, but the more I listen to it, the more I adore it.

My initial thoughts aside, the overall performance displayed on The Last Hero is as masterful as always. Alter Bridge’s uniquely metallic take on the rock sound is in no way squandered on this record: the whole album is packed with air-rending guitar duels and fast-paced drum rhythms, both of which are wonderfully adrenaline-inducing. Myles Kennedy’s characteristically sharp vocal style leaves nothing to be desired either. Through the piercing harmonies of the upbeat Losing Patience and the reassuring and contrastingly soft You Will Be Remembered, his voice carries the record that extra mile to soaring new heights.

The Last Hero is, in conclusion, a spectacular record. It has not surpassed Alter Bridge’s previous releases in my opinion, nor do I think it will, but with every listen I find that it has grown on me a little more. So if you feel as I did, that The Last Hero lacks that certain something that cannot quite be explained, I encourage you to give it another chance and listen a little more closely; I think you will find, like I did, that Alter Bridge are back, alive and kicking as ever.
8.5/10

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music ... -hero.html
★★★★★

Whenever Alter Bridge drops a new album, it is undoubtedly an event.

Alter Bridge – The Last Hero

The band have entered the rhythm of releasing a record every three years without fail, and with a fanbase as purely dedicated and rabid as theirs, it’s become a tradition that loyalists all over the world look forward to constantly.

So, after unleashing the best album of their career to date with Fortress (2013), the pressure really is at an all-time high for Alter Bridge and their upcoming fifth release, The Last Hero, to soar to success.

But in many ways, this album does exactly what any follow-up should do; it signals a continued musical evolution on the part of Alter Bridge.

When it first came out, Fortress felt like the amalgamation of every Alter Bridge record that came before; it had the melody of the radio-friendly One Day Remains (2004), the ambition of Blackbird (2007) and the dark, melancholic edge of AB III (2010).

The Last Hero takes these contrasting tones and explores them all even further, and in this regard is truly Fortress version 2.0.

The new record storms out of the gate with ‘Show Me a Leader’, ‘The Writing on the Wall’ and ‘The Other Side’, all of three of which are anarchic, fast rockers, marking Alter Bridge’s first ever use of seven-string guitars. And with the blistering riffs that screech out of the axes of the duelling Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti, that fact clearly shows.

And it isn’t just the music that’s heavier; the lyrics too seem much more aggressive. On ‘The Other Side’, lead singer Kennedy declares in the chorus “If you believe yours is the only way / Then you’re a fool who needs to die”, while ‘The Writing on the Wall’ addresses the front-man’s anger at those that deny the existence of global warming.

But the harmonies and melodies from Myles and back-up vocalist Tremonti ensure that The Last Hero still rings with the sound of old Alter Bridge. The clean vocals on this record soar higher than ever before, the driven and emotive voices counter-balancing this album’s heavy instrumentation to avoid the band becoming alienating to fans that may not enjoy the heavier end of the rock spectrum.

‘My Champion’ and ‘Poison in Your Veins’ form much lighter cuts after The Last Hero’s darker and lightning fast opening, especially the former, which is endlessly uplifting in both its lyrics and delivery as a whole. In that regard, the slightly more powerful ‘Poison in Your Veins’ feels like a middle ground once it comes about, bridging The Last Hero’s first three tracks with the positive ‘My Champion’.

‘Cradle to the Grave’ resurrects the heaviness in full force as it opens, but soon transforms into a soft, rhythmic verse, highlighting the vocal range of Kennedy as he also masters a more downbeat delivery. As it transitions into a hard-rocking yet still emotional chorus, this easily becomes the best thing that The Last Hero has offered so far.

‘Losing Patience’ is another melodic track that feels reminiscent of Alter Bridge’s Blackbird era, before the lengthier ‘This Side of Fate’ returns to the structure of ‘Cradle to the Grave’. The track creates an internal hard–soft dynamic, but it never hits the emotional power of ‘Cradle…’, not managing to get quite as heavy as that song did. Thus, even though ‘This Side of Fate’ is still an enjoyable song and well-written (like everything on this album), the contrast feels a little less impressive this time around.

‘You Will Be Remembered’ features The Last Hero’s first use of acoustic guitars, and the track slowly builds and builds until it becomes an empowering flurry of mid-paced hard rock. Then ‘Crows on a Wire’ pounds its way to life with a guttural, instrumental roar that feels more akin to a death metal song.

‘Crows…’ is short, it’s to-the-point and it proves to be an unrelenting slice of brilliant musical anger mixed with clean choruses. The extreme metal influences of Mark Tremonti present themselves front and centre here, but they still somehow blend effortlessly with the blues/jazz-inspired edge that is a signature of Myles Kennedy’s song-writing.

‘Twilight’’s best moments come in its last minute, as the post-guitar solo riff of its bridge succeeds in melting the faces of all within the vicinity. Aside from that, with this cut, it’s pretty much business as usual.

‘Island of Fools’ and The Last Hero’s title track close this powerhouse of a record, with the former stunning primarily with its unrivalled harmonies and impassioned wails from Kennedy. ‘The Last Hero’ ends the album on unbelievably strong footing, feeling like the quintessential Alter Bridge track as it uses seven minutes to display all the traits of the record that came before it. It is easy to understand why ‘The Last Hero’ is this album’s title track, as it really is a fitting summary, a microcosm of all the tones and emotions that Alter Bridge weave through over the course of this 67-minute trailblazer.

And as ‘The Last Hero’ – both the track and its parent record – halts with one last, swift burst of rock n’ roll passion, the sudden quietness that embeds itself into the listener’s ear afterwards is undoubtedly a stunned silence.

How does one even begin describing the journey that The Last Hero takes fans on? This record is pissed off, it’s introspective, it’s powerful, it’s sombre, it’s slow-building, it’s heavy, it’s melodic, it’s harmonious, it’s… well, it’s Alter Bridge.

And that should be enough in and of itself.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Do we count as media? :P
TABN Admin wrote:
The Last Hero: a review for fans by fans
TheAlterBridgeNation.com

As an Alter Bridge fan, you're already well aware that The Last Hero is coming. In just two weeks, the band will unleash their fifth album on the rock world. The team at TheAlterBridgeNation.com were lucky enough to be given some time with the record, and we are delighted to share with you what to expect come October 7th.

The Last Hero opens with the ominous tinkering of Myles on his electric guitar, a sound undoubtedly familiar to those of us who have had "Show Me a Leader" on repeat since it was unveiled last month as the album's lead single. Having barely absorbed this haunting carousel of notes, we are thrown into the path of the album's opening chords—heavy, tragic, and littered with impressive drum frills and heart-wrenching guitar bends. A rousing verse leads into an impassioned chorus with a unique stutter-start rhythm. The song perfectly sets the tone for the album: it is defiant, frustrated, and insubmissive.
"We enter this record's dungeon
of dirty riffs and downtuned guitars"
With "The Writing on the Wall" we enter this record's dungeon of dirty riffs and downtuned guitars. As one of the longest and darkest songs on the album, "The Other Side" includes one of Alter Bridge's spookiest bridges ever. We do not emerge from this underworld until "My Champion", an uplifting anthem in classic Alter Bridge form, which calls each of us to overcome our life's obstacles. The pace picks back up for the more traditional "Poison in Your Veins", a sleazy 1980s-style power jam boasting one of The Last Hero's many catchy choruses.

This leads us to "Cradle to the Grave", which kicks into gear with perhaps the most beautifully tragic chord progression Alter Bridge have ever written. The melody and lyrics play in tandem to weave a tapestry of life and death, as Myles sings "there's no way to deny / the brevity of life." The dynamism of The Last Hero continues with "Losing Patience" as its dour verses contrast the choruses' glimmers of hope. Following that we are treated to "This Side of Fate", a solemn rock odyssey highlighted by stellar guitar solos by both Mark and Myles.
"A solemn rock odyssey
highlighted by stellar guitar solos"
If "My Champion" is this album's anthem, "You Will Be Remembered" is its ballad—an inspiring tribute to all who have served their country. "Crows on a Wire" dives headfirst back into the gritty underworld, with an aggressive chord ascension transforming an otherwise genial chorus into a furious onslaught of discontent. This brings us to the upbeat "Twilight", in which a more positive melody masks its forlorn lyrical subject. In the album's penultimate track we find ourselves assaulted by the brutal "Island of Fools", packing a soaring chorus and dual guitar solos.

In a nod to Fortress, The Last Hero closes with its title track, a ferocious epic that asks, "who will save us in the end? Have we lost our last hero?" There is obviously plenty more to say about each of these tracks, which we will feature in the upcoming song-by-song reviews over the next two weeks. But what is The Last Hero like as a whole? Read on to find out!
Lyrically Alter Bridge have managed to capture the present-day sociopolitical climate without fixating on the specific political issues that can be so divisive. In fact, one can appreciate how each song stands on its own without any political baggage. Thematically much of the album feels directed towards those in power who would hold us down and divide us. There's a general sense of unrest. It paints a picture of a populace making their last stand, as if the world is lost and we've got one shot to get it back. It's desperate and urgent. Somehow hopeless and hopeful at the same time.

Musically The Last Hero is as heavy as ever, but not gratuitously so. It's arguably Alter Bridge's most dynamic work to date—haunting and sultry at times, yet slamming and gritty at others. Despite this diversity in composition, the album is almost universally loud. (It's not for the faint-of-heart or the sleep-deprived!) Along those lines, The Last Hero is very vocal-forward. Myles's voice is generally elevated in the mix, and those who prefer layered vocals will be happy to hear a whole choir of Myles singing throughout much of the record. Luckily this does not prevent the instruments from shining through. Producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette has once again done a standout job making Alter Bridge sound their best.
"The rhythm section are at the top of their game"
Instrumentally, we are treated to some of the band's most intricate work to date. Mark has certainly established his chops on the last few Alter Bridge and Tremonti records, but on The Last Hero he's solidly virtuoso-level. His playing is crisper than ever, at times reminiscent of John Petrucci or Joe Satriani. But that doesn't mean Mark has confined himself to cold, calculated speedwork; he still pulls out his traditionally lax picking style from time to time. Myles displays some of his best leads yet, including solos on "This Side of Fate" and "Crows on a Wire". The rhythm section are also at the top of their game, and as tight as ever. Brian holds things together with an unyielding rumble, and even pulls some neat tricks like the bass dives in "Poison in Your Veins". Flip sits squarely in the pocket with his most varied and least predictable drum work yet.
With Myles and Mark having spent so much time recently with Slash and Tremonti, many may wonder what impact these projects have had on Alter Bridge's sound. Naturally there are similarities, given that Myles writes vocal lines for Slash and Mark composes the majority of the music for Tremonti. With that said, The Last Hero stands squarely on its own as an Alter Bridge record. It has the cohesiveness of Blackbird and the progressiveness of Fortress, with elements of One Day Remains and AB III scattered throughout. One can even hear influences from other bands. The guys have written some of their darkest, meanest riffs yet, which may reflect their recent affinity for Gojira; and "This Side of Fate" shines with the madness of a Muse song.

Ultimately, it's clear that Alter Bridge have stepped up their game with The Last Hero. The album simultaneously pays tribute to their previous efforts and proves that they are eager to surprise their fans and explore new frontiers. Perhaps most importantly, this record is a grower. It takes many listens to truly absorb, which means it has staying power. Whereas a typical top 40 hit is instantly catchy and quickly wears out, The Last Hero will surely stand the test of time.

"Can you hear the marching, the beating of the drums.."

Songs to watch
  • Cradle to the Grave
  • Crows on a Wire
  • This Side of Fate
  • Island of Fools
  • The Last Hero

Rating : Image

Our heartfelt thanks to Alter Bridge and Napalm records for the opportunity to review this album for The Alter Bridge Nation!

posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=181097

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Sure you can count as media in this case :P

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Just 4 stars :O

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.rocksins.com/reviews/alter-b ... ero-29008/
Overall: 8/10
Riffs: 8/10
Accessibility: 7/10
Vocals: 9/10

Top quality singles | Myles' Vocals | Lyrical Content

Alter Bridge have over the last eleven years gone from being viewed as “Creed with a different frontman” upon their inception to unassuming arena filling rock superstars – at least on this side of the Atlantic. Their last album, the magnificent Fortress propelled them to new heights both musically and in terms of the size of their audiences, leaving The Last Hero, their first album for new record label Napalm Records, a very tough act to follow.

Opening track and first single Show Me A Leader starts The Last Hero with exactly the right tone; It’s everything a listener would want from a lead Alter Bridge single with Mark Tremonti’s guitar work firmly stamped on it and Myles Kennedy’s soaring vocals – especially in the chorus. The song also pushes a message of hope in the face of adversity – one of several lyric themes prevalent through the album.

Second track The Writing On The Wall is wholly engrossing, and has a dark undercurrent to it’s sound, not altogether surprising when the subject matter is those who don’t acknowledge climate change as reality. On the flip side, My Champion is a tremendous blast of positivity driven by Myles Kennedy’s past and the support given to him by his parents in his youth. It’s a song that could almost be defined as the opposite to any number of emo hits from the last decade.

Quality can be found all throughout the album, not just in the aforementioned early tracks. Poison In Your Vains showcases Alter Bridge at their musically heavy best matched with a chorus that is catchy as hell, while You Will Be Remembered takes on the mantle of the reflective song (ala Watch Over You and Wonderful Life from past albums). Whilst it doesn’t quite hit those skyscraper like heights, it’s a track that pulls the heartstrings nevertheless. The album’s closer and title track, The Last Hero, is simply superb. It’s even got the closest thing to a breakdown that’s ever emerged in an Alter Bridge song to date and closes the album on a high to match Myles’ scale defying vocals.

Where perhaps The Last Hero falls down slightly compared to some previous Alter Bridge albums in that it is not as instantly accessible as it’s predecessors. Aside from Show Me A Leader and My Champion, which have been chosen as singles for obvious reasons, a lot of the songs take numerous listens before they make their mark. It is definitely worth allowing the time for them to sink in, but doesn’t quite have the instant “wow” factor of Fortress in particular.

That having been said, The Last Hero is still an extremely fine album that will delight most Alter Bridge fans and win them many new ones. Alter Bridge seemingly don’t know how to make bad records and they’ve continued that trend here. Is The Last Hero the final piece of the puzzle that will take Alter Bridge to the level of festival headliners in the UK? Based on the evidence, it’s almost certain they will be, sooner or later.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.collectorsroom.com.br/2016/0 ... -2016.html

TRANSLATED:
Evolution is a word that defines the trajectory of Alter Bridge. The band, who released their first album - One Day Remains - in 2004, increasingly shows an incredible maturity and evolving their sound and musicality to each new job. Just released by specialized media and even by Brazilian radio, the band deserves to have his name among the main references of the current hard rock.

With The Last Hero, Alter Bridge once again takes a step forward and offers us one of the great albums of the year. We also noticed the evolution of Myles Kennedy (vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitar) as composers, featuring some of the best lyrics of all quartet's discography.

"Show Me the Leader" starts work with a stone, showing Tremonti ability as a great creator riffs. "The Writing on the Wall," which talks about global warming, is undoubtedly one of the high points of the album, with the band at its peak, with memorable riffs, consistent cuisine and unparalleled vocal Myles.

One of the most interesting songs is "The Other Side". Again, Tremonti spits his riffs aggressively, but Myles vocals are the highlight in music. With his interpretation, the singer can give a horror film of air to the song, a song that stands out in the group's discography and once again shows how the guys do not accommodate.

"My Champion" and "Poison in Your Veins" are the two songs that refer to the first two albums of the band, but without sounding like something repetitive. "Cradle to the Grave" is proof that the band knows compose songs that sound at the same time heavy and melodic.

"You Will Be Remembered," which talks about American soldiers who lost their lives in the war, has everything to be a fan favorite with a wonderful interpretation of Myles Kennedy and an incredible solo Mark Tremonti. Closing the disc and leaving the listener with like want more, the title track combines weight, catchy melody and more beautiful composition Kennedy.

Even with 13 tracks, being much more than five minutes at any time hearing becomes tiresome. On the contrary, each new verse makes us curious to see what lies ahead.

With The Last Hero Alter Bridge takes another step forward to place among the top names of the current rock, combining weight, melody, beautiful songs and a razor sharp band.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Is The Last Hero the final piece of the puzzle that will take Alter Bridge to the level of festival headliners in the UK? Based on the evidence, it’s almost certain they will be, sooner or later.
The person kinda contradicted themselves there, since they made a claim that this album will not be as accessible as previous albums yet state that this album could be the final piece that puts them as headliners for a major festival? To be headliners of major festivals, doesn't a band need to be very easily accessible in their music, which AB, for better or worst, sometimes lacks in their music?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Accessibility: 7/10
Vocals: 9/10
That should be rather the other way around...
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.rocktopia.co.uk/index.php?op ... Itemid=485
Another important release from of the world's premier Hard Rock bands.

Since 2013's 'Fortress', singer/guitarist Myles Kennedy has been busy recording and touring with Slash, whilst guitarist/singer Mark Tremonti has recorded and toured on the back of two more of his own successful solo band albums. After a brief break at the end of 2015, it was time to re-convene with bassist Brian Marshall, drummer Scott Phillips and long-time producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette to begin work on the fifth Alter Bridge album in Florida. The writing and recording sessions were built around the theme of "heroes", and the material came together quickly, with Kennedy' and Tremonti's ideas forming the basis for the songs, then working with Marshall and Phillips on the arrangements and final structures.

What is obvious after just one play is that the melodies are more uplifting than on 'Fortress'. Kennedy's delivery appears to be more relaxed, though no less forceful, and with no loss of impact. Following a delicate intro, the full band storm into 'Show Me A Leader', an anthemic up-tempo pace-setter with a trademark Tremonti riff at its core (played on a seven string guitar I'm led to believe). The guitar solos throughout '.... Hero' are imaginatively sublime, not just a blur of notes or an exercise in ego massaging. Whether they are played by Kennedy or Tremonti is another matter.

'My Champion' is the ideal showcase for the uplifting melodies mentioned earlier, whilst 'Twist Of Fate' is performed with passion and filled with emotional turmoil. Alter Bridge will never be regarded as Progressive, but the dynamic song structures and subtle time changes are an essential feature of the band's sound. There is a dirty grinding riff at the heart of 'The Other Side', but the mid-song trippy break is bordering on Psychedelic. 'You Will Be Remembered' is essentially a ballad, but built on a huge drum sound and big guitars, bringing to mind 'Broken Wings' from the 'One Day Remains' debut.

All the songs are primarily incendiary in nature with a fiery dynamic, but executed with a graceful elegance. Over the course of an hour or so we are treated to thirteen mini epics that are both enthralling and beguiling in equal measure. Ultimately, 'The Last Hero' is another important release from of the world's premier Hard Rock bands. I have played the album ten times during the week, and it resonated as much on the tenth play as it did on the first.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:http://www.rocktopia.co.uk/index.php?op ... Itemid=485
Another important release from of the world's premier Hard Rock bands.

Since 2013's 'Fortress', singer/guitarist Myles Kennedy has been busy recording and touring with Slash, whilst guitarist/singer Mark Tremonti has recorded and toured on the back of two more of his own successful solo band albums. After a brief break at the end of 2015, it was time to re-convene with bassist Brian Marshall, drummer Scott Phillips and long-time producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette to begin work on the fifth Alter Bridge album in Florida. The writing and recording sessions were built around the theme of "heroes", and the material came together quickly, with Kennedy' and Tremonti's ideas forming the basis for the songs, then working with Marshall and Phillips on the arrangements and final structures.

What is obvious after just one play is that the melodies are more uplifting than on 'Fortress'. Kennedy's delivery appears to be more relaxed, though no less forceful, and with no loss of impact. Following a delicate intro, the full band storm into 'Show Me A Leader', an anthemic up-tempo pace-setter with a trademark Tremonti riff at its core (played on a seven string guitar I'm led to believe). The guitar solos throughout '.... Hero' are imaginatively sublime, not just a blur of notes or an exercise in ego massaging. Whether they are played by Kennedy or Tremonti is another matter.

'My Champion' is the ideal showcase for the uplifting melodies mentioned earlier, whilst 'Twist Of Fate' is performed with passion and filled with emotional turmoil. Alter Bridge will never be regarded as Progressive, but the dynamic song structures and subtle time changes are an essential feature of the band's sound. There is a dirty grinding riff at the heart of 'The Other Side', but the mid-song trippy break is bordering on Psychedelic. 'You Will Be Remembered' is essentially a ballad, but built on a huge drum sound and big guitars, bringing to mind 'Broken Wings' from the 'One Day Remains' debut.

All the songs are primarily incendiary in nature with a fiery dynamic, but executed with a graceful elegance. Over the course of an hour or so we are treated to thirteen mini epics that are both enthralling and beguiling in equal measure. Ultimately, 'The Last Hero' is another important release from of the world's premier Hard Rock bands. I have played the album ten times during the week, and it resonated as much on the tenth play as it did on the first.
Twist of Fate? C'mon now lol.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Twist of Fate? C'mon now lol.
Maybe it's a Twist of Fate that the reviewer would get the title wrong? :P :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.musicology.uk.com/alter-bridge-last-hero/

9 out of 10/4.5 stars out of 5
After their massive success with the critically acclaimed Fortress back in 2013, Alter Bridge are back. Their follow up album The Last Hero is everything you want it to be and then some. Powerful, soul touching vocals matched with impressive riffs and emotive themes makes this album simply brilliant.

The opening track Show Me A Leader has over a minute and a half of instrumental introduction that cultivates and sets up for an epic five-minute track. The pure genius of this piece raises any expectancy and sets the bar extremely high for the rest of the album. It takes on elements of classic rock and thrusts them into the modern music scene. Certainly a good choice to start this album with.

There are a couple of standout tracks on this record, the first being My Champion. This song is a voyage to discover/remember what makes a great rock anthem. The lyrics send you on an expedition of self-empowerment and focus. “The world’s gonna try and knock you out, just pick yourself up when you go down. You’ve gotta keep fighting and get back up again, my champion.”

Another highlight of the album is You Will Be Remembered. This one is impossible not to sing along to at the top of your lungs. There is just something about this song where the guitars, vocals, bass and drums all complement each other fantastically well. Every layer displays the rock genre at its finest establishing a moving and passionate track. It also includes one of the albums best, most face numbing guitar solos.

The record ends with the title track The Last Hero. This is a piece that flawlessly rounds up an excellent album. The most impressive component to this track is the guitar composition. The riffs and chord progression keeps the listener hooked on every bar throughout. The heights and depth that are reached by the outstanding guitar work in this track cannot be ignored. The overall product of this song enables the album to finish on a well-deserved high and ties a neat bow on top of Alter Bridge’s musical present to the world.

The Last Hero is a huge step up from their last album and thrusts Alter Bridge into a whole new league. Although Fortress was a very good album, this record breaks through onto a level that was not expected. Every single track is a masterpiece in its own right and each has something different to offer than the one before. The end product of this album portrays hard work, dedication and pure talent. So, for epic introductions, commanding vocals and just good rock music, put the rood down on your car and sit back to this influential piece of art.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

http://www.killyourstereo.com/reviews/1 ... -last-hero
Summary
A tale of two halves - killer up front, filler up the back.

Rating
66 / 100
Review

Alter Bridge are the kind of band that doesn’t always live up to the sum of their parts. On the face of it, they should be amazing. They have one of the best singers on the planet, who also happens to be a fantastic guitarist in his own right. They have Mark Tremonti, a guitarist, and songwriter with a proven track record for pumping out songs that strike a perfect balance between radio-friendly and musically interesting songs. They have a very competent rhythm section, ably backing up the two better-known members of the band. However, despite this, more often than not there is still something amiss as if they have just missed the mark by an infinitesimal amount. Sadly, ‘The Last Hero‘ is another patent example of this very phenomenon.

Ostensibly, everything is where it should be. There is delicious, rich vocal harmonies, huge choruses, tasty duelling leads, surprisingly heavy riffs; all the pieces that should amount to a brilliant album, but in going hell for leather on everything, it’s almost like they’ve bitten off more than they can chew. I am at a total loss as to why a radio rock/alt metal band would think that having three different seven-minute songs was a good idea. The general rule for anything over, say, five minutes, is that they have to actually be interesting songs. Alter Bridge seemed to have missed that memo, and the longer songs are easily the most forgettable on the record. In fact, if they had been cut, the album would have been ten songs, not thirteen, and ended at a perfectly respectable 49 minutes. It would also have been a lot more enjoyable to listen to in its entirety, too.

In saying that, it’s not all bad. Far from it, actually. The first half of the album – tracks 1-6 – are all pretty fucking great, especially ‘My Champion‘ (an easy stand out), ‘Cradle To The Grave‘, and the bullshit-heavy ‘The Other Side‘, which is almost certainly the heaviest song they band have ever written, and if it isn’t, ‘Island of Fools‘ probably is. Indeed, those two songs are probably heavier than most actual ‘heavy’ bands kicking around today, and it is only a further testament that AB can really kick some serious ass when they want to. It’s always amused me that bands like Breaking Benjamin, Nickleback, Creed, Three Days Grace, Alter Bridge et al have been playing in tunings ranging from drop C to A for about twenty years now, collectively.

But the big problem here is that, once you get past ‘Cradle To The Grave‘, you don’t really much to look forward to, outside of some more ball-tearing solos. Solos don’t actually make a whole song, though, as much as hosts of lead guitarists would beg to differ. This particular flaw is inexcusable to me. It pisses me off to no end that a huge touring band like Alter Bridge can’t deliver a whole album, and they sure as hell aren’t alone in that. So many bigger bands release albums that would have been better being served as EP’s, but by a combination of hubris, and label pressure due they trot out the filler anyway. So essentially, you’re paying double the amount for the ‘good’ songs, because the filler isn’t worth the bandwidth they’re embedded in, and it is possibly the best argument for purchasing the singles. It makes it really hard to defend a song like ‘Twilight‘ when it is so obviously phoned in. It makes it really difficult to advocate purchasing a whole album, when over half of it just isn’t worth bothering with.
Conclusion

To sum up, this album is great for the first half an hour, and an incurable dross for the second half. Sure, the second half has moments of levity, but that doesn’t at all excuse the ninety percent of boring filler found in it. Die hard Alter Bridge fans will probably still love it, though, so whatever. If you can handle sitting through forty minutes of extraneous filler for the sake of it, you’re a far more patient person than I. I promise you, had I not been reviewing this album, I wouldn’t have listened much past a skim for tracks 7-13, and really, for a band like Alter Bridge, that’s pretty piss poor.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:http://www.killyourstereo.com/reviews/1 ... -last-hero
Summary
A tale of two halves - killer up front, filler up the back.

Rating
66 / 100
Review

Alter Bridge are the kind of band that doesn’t always live up to the sum of their parts. On the face of it, they should be amazing. They have one of the best singers on the planet, who also happens to be a fantastic guitarist in his own right. They have Mark Tremonti, a guitarist, and songwriter with a proven track record for pumping out songs that strike a perfect balance between radio-friendly and musically interesting songs. They have a very competent rhythm section, ably backing up the two better-known members of the band. However, despite this, more often than not there is still something amiss as if they have just missed the mark by an infinitesimal amount. Sadly, ‘The Last Hero‘ is another patent example of this very phenomenon.

Ostensibly, everything is where it should be. There is delicious, rich vocal harmonies, huge choruses, tasty duelling leads, surprisingly heavy riffs; all the pieces that should amount to a brilliant album, but in going hell for leather on everything, it’s almost like they’ve bitten off more than they can chew. I am at a total loss as to why a radio rock/alt metal band would think that having three different seven-minute songs was a good idea. The general rule for anything over, say, five minutes, is that they have to actually be interesting songs. Alter Bridge seemed to have missed that memo, and the longer songs are easily the most forgettable on the record. In fact, if they had been cut, the album would have been ten songs, not thirteen, and ended at a perfectly respectable 49 minutes. It would also have been a lot more enjoyable to listen to in its entirety, too.

In saying that, it’s not all bad. Far from it, actually. The first half of the album – tracks 1-6 – are all pretty fucking great, especially ‘My Champion‘ (an easy stand out), ‘Cradle To The Grave‘, and the bullshit-heavy ‘The Other Side‘, which is almost certainly the heaviest song they band have ever written, and if it isn’t, ‘Island of Fools‘ probably is. Indeed, those two songs are probably heavier than most actual ‘heavy’ bands kicking around today, and it is only a further testament that AB can really kick some serious ass when they want to. It’s always amused me that bands like Breaking Benjamin, Nickleback, Creed, Three Days Grace, Alter Bridge et al have been playing in tunings ranging from drop C to A for about twenty years now, collectively.

But the big problem here is that, once you get past ‘Cradle To The Grave‘, you don’t really much to look forward to, outside of some more ball-tearing solos. Solos don’t actually make a whole song, though, as much as hosts of lead guitarists would beg to differ. This particular flaw is inexcusable to me. It pisses me off to no end that a huge touring band like Alter Bridge can’t deliver a whole album, and they sure as hell aren’t alone in that. So many bigger bands release albums that would have been better being served as EP’s, but by a combination of hubris, and label pressure due they trot out the filler anyway. So essentially, you’re paying double the amount for the ‘good’ songs, because the filler isn’t worth the bandwidth they’re embedded in, and it is possibly the best argument for purchasing the singles. It makes it really hard to defend a song like ‘Twilight‘ when it is so obviously phoned in. It makes it really difficult to advocate purchasing a whole album, when over half of it just isn’t worth bothering with.
Conclusion

To sum up, this album is great for the first half an hour, and an incurable dross for the second half. Sure, the second half has moments of levity, but that doesn’t at all excuse the ninety percent of boring filler found in it. Die hard Alter Bridge fans will probably still love it, though, so whatever. If you can handle sitting through forty minutes of extraneous filler for the sake of it, you’re a far more patient person than I. I promise you, had I not been reviewing this album, I wouldn’t have listened much past a skim for tracks 7-13, and really, for a band like Alter Bridge, that’s pretty piss poor.
Meh. This is someone who has no musical sophistication. The fact the second half doesn't satisfy his superficial tastes should be taken as a strength.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die