"The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: "The Last Hero" Media Review Thread

Post by AB23 »

which link was shared on PM? The My Champion one?

Ya people probably shouldn't publicly advertise that they have X and are willing to share it with others, either publicly or privately.

There are ways (I'm sure... since we're all here on a computer) that people can and should be more discrete about things. If we don't publicly advertise that we have something that we probably shouldn't have and that we're willing to share it with others, I think we're good here.

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

Removed.
Last edited by abw1987 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: asking for pirated media is prohibited.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ubik wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:From the snippets we have heard, This Side of Fate and Cradle to the Grave stood out to me the most. It's weird that most of these reviews fail to mention them at all. I WANNA KNOW MORE ABOUT THEM DAMMIT!
I was just thinking that about This Side of Fate, my anticipation for it is pretty off the scale considering I still have no clue what it'll sound like (beyond the brilliant reviews from the likes of Ashlee and abw at the listening party).

Writing on the Wall and The Other Side are getting a lot of love though which is great.
From the 30 seconds I heard, it sounds like it's going to be amazing. It was so good I haven't forgot the melody, I hum it all the time. The preview starts at the end of a moody type riff with distortion, then went into what I assume is the verse. The verse starts with just Myles singing softly with a finger picked acoustic underneath. After a couple lines the drums come in with it all and the preview ends. The melody is not really happy or sad sounding but still very emotional. It's almost enchanting. I can't wait to hear it again as a full song!
Last edited by ToNsOFuN88 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I wish I could I could remember what the lyrics were. All I remember is the start of the first line of the verse is "this side of fate".

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

This side of fate is blind,
The choice has been made, its time
For all that we've done, will we ever... (cuts out)

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Thank you! Now I can actually sing the melody, instead of going "this side of fate.... hm hm hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm". Lol

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

My favorite preview is This Side of Fate too.

The Other Side riff is fucking sick though. I can't wait to hear that song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The Last Hero's preview was the most intriguing to me. Super tasty riff, and super soulful vocals from Myles afterwards. I'm so hyped to hear that song. All the mentions of it in interviews and reviews doesn't make it any easier.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Man.. so wish someone knew where the previews were. :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I don't know where this idea came from; But lately I've been having worries that between Fortress, Cauterize, and Dust in the past 3 years, Mark used up a lot of amazing riffage. My main worry is what if he doesn't have as many mega tremonster riffage that we've known to love on this record? Am I crazy for even pondering this idea?

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I don't know where this idea came from; But lately I've been having worries that between Fortress, Cauterize, and Dust in the past 3 years, Mark used up a lot of amazing riffage. My main worry is what if he doesn't have as many mega tremonster riffage that we've known to love on this record? Am I crazy for even pondering this idea?
I wouldn't worry to much about that, Shea. Some of the riffs from the previews (that I remember) were faaaantastic.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

joshuabeau wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I don't know where this idea came from; But lately I've been having worries that between Fortress, Cauterize, and Dust in the past 3 years, Mark used up a lot of amazing riffage. My main worry is what if he doesn't have as many mega tremonster riffage that we've known to love on this record? Am I crazy for even pondering this idea?
I wouldn't worry to much about that, Shea. Some of the riffs from the previews (that I remember) were faaaantastic.
I guess it's just a coping mechanism to keep my hype level down to a manageable level :shrug But even Show Me A Leader didn't have Great riffage, IMO.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Timotheus wrote:The Last Hero's preview was the most intriguing to me. Super tasty riff, and super soulful vocals from Myles afterwards. I'm so hyped to hear that song. All the mentions of it in interviews and reviews doesn't make it any easier.
I really liked several, but TLH definitely has me intrigued too. As well as the bonus track :)

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

yeah the guy's a machine. i'll be shocked if he ever runs out of gas. plus the Island of Fools and Crows on a Wire riffs alone sounded absolutely wicked
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I do kinda wonder about the solos sometimes. Blackbird is by far Mark's best record for solos. The consistency hasn't been what it was since then, although he's had some great ones at times. I know we like having solos on pretty much every song, but I can imagine it's hard to keep up the uniqueness at the pace Mark has been recording albums lately.

His riffs have stayed on point though. He's a riff writing machine.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

I actually like ABIII's collection of solos the best with Blackbird close behind. It's true though...solos are a much different game than riffs. It is much much much more difficult to remain inspired for solos than riff writing. Doesn't always come naturally like riffs often do. Requires more brain power and focus. And yeah the guy's been so prolific recently i can't blame him for a solo here and there that isn't top-notch inspired
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I think Mark did progress on his solo-ing since BB. His melodies and techniques are evolving I think (also counting Tremonti solo stuff), although it might not be apparent on every solo.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I agree that he's improved with new techniques, for me it's mainly the uniqueness of how the solos sound. The solo to SMAL is pretty similar in parts to the solo he wrote for The Cage. It's moments like that where the ideas feel like they're recycling a bit.

None of this is to say he's not an amazing soloist. It's just something that's stood out to me more recently. But sometimes I think I'd see it different if I was just now being introduced to his music instead of listening to him for years.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I really want The Needle Drop to review the new album. It would be absolutely savage and the comments would be full of angry Alter Bridge fans. It would be so entertaining.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Another interview from TotalGuitar with the same guy who did the Fortress one would be nice. But I don't know about The Needle Drop. I think I'll pass :o No angry AB Fans!