"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by poshisjarker »

It's taken me several listens but i do love the song. It is very memorable and i think it'll do some major damage as a single. The solo similarities to The Cage don't bother me cause well dang it's just a firecracker of a solo...
But I do assume all the talk of this album being more metal comes into play as the album progresses lol. This tune wasn't nearly as heavy as i thought it'd be. But again i love it now (which kinda surprises me)
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but it sounds like a Slash song ft. Mark Tremonti. I like the songs Slash/Myles make together, but I really don't enjoy AB sounding so similar to them.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Crumbso wrote:Nah mate. There's no fucking way this is a totally uncompressed source for that wav file.
Look at the source code.
I'm not going to post the whole http link, but the file says "alter-bridge-show-me-a-leader.wav"

I analyzed the song, and look at the frequency analysis.
Wav

mp3 (320kbps)

All mp3 files have a frequency dropout at 15 or 16k.
Lossless files either have no dropout, or else, it's after the 20/21k mark.

For me, that wav file isn't mp3-sourced, or else it would show in that frequency analysis. If a mp3 is turned into a wav file, the frequency will still show a dropout around the 15/16k mark.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I think the song is good. Its a departure from what this band has been putting out in the recent years and I like it. I like the slash influence, still hoping we get to hear more of the classic AB groove in the rest of the album. Its not the best AB has put out, but its good. The sound quality of the file is definitely not great. The first half of the solo is fuckin brilliant.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I'll reserve my judgment until I hear the other 1:10 tomorrow with the official release.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote:
Crumbso wrote:Nah mate. There's no fucking way this is a totally uncompressed source for that wav file.
Look at the source code.
I'm not going to post the whole http link, but the file says "alter-bridge-show-me-a-leader.wav"

I analyzed the song, and look at the frequency analysis.
Wav

mp3 (320kbps)

All mp3 files have a frequency dropout at 15 or 16k.
Lossless files either have no dropout, or else, it's after the 20/21k mark.

For me, that wav file isn't mp3-sourced, or else it would show in that frequency analysis. If a mp3 is turned into a wav file, the frequency will still show a dropout around the 15/16k mark.
Doesn't have to have come from an mp3 but I knows highly compressed audio when I hear it. I guarantee the CD version will sound very different.

malec
Brand New Start

Post by malec »

I hope that the CD version will sound "myles better" :) I just can't stand this bass it overshadows everything.
Last edited by malec on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

endofsilence93
Bought The CDs

Post by endofsilence93 »

I actually do find myself liking the song. I will wait until the full version of the song is out. I do like the chorus because it's something unique in its own way. I get that Myles may sound like how he does with Slash but I still think it sounds pretty solid on my second listen.

olof79
Rise Today

Post by olof79 »

Sounds like Slash..

Sounds like a Slash song, and i usually likes Slash songs ok but not this one.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

After listening 4 times and reading through forum comments as well as FB comments in the official AB/TABN pages, I can see why people are so divisive about this song.

First of all, it's missing arguably the best part, the intro, so I think people will change their tune (no pun intended) when they hear it in full. As far as the Slash sound goes, it's not the end of the world. There's also Tremont influence in there and I read someone likening it a bit to ODR. Point being, it's clearly influenced by the variety of projects these guys have been working on. Based on LP reviews, this song doesn't even set the tone for the whole album so people don't have to worry too much, I expect.

This song is commercial, yes, but should we have expected it to not be? They need a song like this to get more people in the door (aka more new fans). Us diehards should understand that and take solace in the fact that they give us 13 more tracks to feast on, most of which will have that true AB sound we know and love.

For the record, I dig this song and can't wait to hear the whole thing.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

This kind of sounds like they decided to sell out for a song and make it as mainstream as absolutely possible. Like they decided to get a single-sounding song that could be easily edited, and now that its out of the way, they can stress less about it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@Crumbso : if you look at the waveform, it hasn't been cut off. Just look at all those little peaks all throughout the song.
Some over-compressed songs look like this :

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I don't get it. There have been plenty of outside Tremonti influence on recent AB songs, but the moment there is some outside influence from Myles' other musical ventures, it's a terrible thing? This is coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of the Slash/Myles albums. The song is a great first single, and we don't even have the full version yet. In no way does it represent the whole album. They did say that there would be something for EVERYONE on this album. It's safe to say they included this style. Having said all that, it did take a couple of listens for it to click for me, but that is not uncommon for new AB songs. Even happened with BB for me.

abw1987
Blood Machines

"Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by abw1987 »

Hi everyone - starting a new thread to consolidate discussion on the new single, "Show Me a Leader"!!!

For those who haven't heard it, the song debuted on Grant Random's Sirius XM Octane show this morning, and you can listen to it exclusively on the Sirius XM website now:

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/07/25/alt ... on-octane/

The song should be available for purchase tomorrow.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

chtimixeur wrote:@Crumbso : if you look at the waveform, it hasn't been cut off. Just look at all those little peaks all throughout the song.
Some over-compressed songs look like this :
i think you're making this a bigger deal than it should be. Whether or not you analyze this version of the song (the only version publicly available), you can either like it or dislike it. Not really a need to go into production 101 here

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I don't get it. There have been plenty of outside Tremonti influence on recent AB songs, but the moment there is some outside influence from Myles' other musical ventures, it's a terrible thing? This is coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of the Slash/Myles albums. The song is a great first single, and we don't even have the full version yet. In no way does it represent the whole album. They did say that there would be something for EVERYONE on this album. It's safe to say they included this style. Having said all that, it did take a couple of listens for it to click for me, but that is not uncommon for new AB songs. Even happened with BB for me.
+1

malec
Brand New Start

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by malec »

bass, bass, bass everywhere

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

AB23 wrote:This kind of sounds like they decided to sell out for a song and make it as mainstream as absolutely possible. Like they decided to get a single-sounding song that could be easily edited, and now that its out of the way, they can stress less about it.
from the other thread.

The pause in the chorus really, really changes it for me. Like I can't explain it. Its kind of having the same effect as the echoes in Make it Right. So short, but it kind of ruins the whole chorus for me.

Sounds a lot like a Slash song. I think the intro would have a big impact on how the song resonates with me. But as of now, I don't really feel any different than I did after listening to Isolation or Addicted to Pain. Kind of a meh first single

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Really don't think I like this song... Sounds very copy/paste from a Slash record with a throw away solo that Tremonti had from a previous recording session. I was really expecting a lot more.

It just doesn't sound like Alter Bridge.....

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

malec wrote:bass, bass, bass everywhere
Which is funny, because any other time it's "You can't even hear the bass. Damn that Elvis!". I'm sure the actual purchasable single will be of better quality though.
Last edited by ToNsOFuN88 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.