"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

Well I don't quite know what to think of the new single. I was expecting to be hit in the face like I was with Addicted to Pain and even Isolation to a certain degree, this song really didn't do it for me. I didn't know what to think of the chorus the first time I heard it either. My absolute first impression was that I didn't like the breaks but if I'm honest with myself I could definitely see that growing on me. I really didn't like the oooohhhh's and I have to agree with what other people have said that it is very slash-esque. Funny thing is, that that shouldn't be a bad thing considering I do like everything that Myles has done with him. This just struck me as not my cup of tea, it's really weird for me to say that because I have really never said anything negative about anything that Alter Bridge have put out. I do like the solo and I do think that this song has the potential to grow on me but I really hope the rest of the album is better than this.

What I can say this and I don't want to sound like somebody that's trying to be overly negative but if this is what it takes for them to become a giant success in the states I definitely won't be following them beyond this point, if the rest of the album sounds similar to this song. It really kills me to say that given everything that they have helped me through and it wouldn't be a decision made out of malice or anything but if I don't like the music, I don't like the music

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Just listened to Show Me a Leader. I really like it!!! It had a much better first impression on me than Addicted to Pain did. The energy is great, the chorus is unique, the solo is on fire... I can't wait to hear the intro. Right now the vibe I'm getting is Calm the Fire combined with World on Fire. Nothing wrong with that! :D
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Altered
Bought The CDs

Post by Altered »

Got to hear the "Radio Edit" and the "Album Version" and it is quite a shame that they had to condense it down. The song as a whole rips. Something different and it definitely grows on you with each listen. Cannot wait for the whole album. Thank you Alter Bridge!

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Yeah the rest of the album definitely will not sound like SMEAL. Did they ever release twelve Rise Todays? Thirteen Breathe Agains? Fourteen circus elephants into the wild? Fifteen golden rings? Sixteen lists?
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

sorry this is what happens when a strange person eats an enormous and probably illegal amount of ice cream

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:What I can say this and I don't want to sound like somebody that's trying to be overly negative but if this is what it takes for them to become a giant success in the states I definitely won't be following them beyond this point, if the rest of the album sounds similar to this song. It really kills me to say that given everything that they have helped me through and it wouldn't be a decision made out of malice or anything but if I don't like the music, I don't like the music
I honestly don't think they have success in the US in mind when it comes to their music. That being said, I do think they have the UK in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been told by the Download higher-ups that in order to headline they have to be a tad more mainstream, have another couple of hits to their name.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

poshisjarker wrote:Yeah the rest of the album definitely will not sound like SMEAL. Did they ever release twelve Rise Todays? Thirteen Breathe Agains? Fourteen circus elephants into the wild? Fifteen golden rings? Sixteen lists?
Really tempted to call the song Smeagol for short now.
For all of the hope that it brings...

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Ubik wrote:
poshisjarker wrote:Yeah the rest of the album definitely will not sound like SMEAL. Did they ever release twelve Rise Todays? Thirteen Breathe Agains? Fourteen circus elephants into the wild? Fifteen golden rings? Sixteen lists?
Really tempted to call the song Smeagol for short now.
lol i'm up for that. wait, sorry...we is up for that, yes precious.
just looked through the rest of the album for one that could pass as Gollum. unfortunately, nothing

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Dan Dando wrote:I honestly don't think they have success in the US in mind when it comes to their music. That being said, I do think they have the UK in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been told by the Download higher-ups that in order to headline they have to be a tad more mainstream, have another couple of hits to their name.
It's a funny thing regarding the whole "They need mainstream hits to headline Download" thought. Given that they have done 2, going to be 3, arena tours where they were the clear cut headliners, mainly off of the backs of their catalog as a whole and the backs of the support of the loyal fans rather than the "hits".

I do think AB is not pandering to anybody when crafting all of the songs for The Last Hero. I don't think they have the "we need to create this song so that we get the support we need to headline Download or hit #1 on active rock." mentality.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

14 pages!!!!! Man you guys dont hang around!

This place is buzzing

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Dan Dando wrote:I do think they have the UK in mind.
Given that maybe 70% of their success has been in the UK, I think that's an extremely accurate statement

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jim wrote:14 pages!!!!! Man you guys dont hang around!

This place is buzzing
Buzzing but it has it's breaks where people dont post anything and just watch the forums :lol

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

anguyen92 wrote:I do think AB is not pandering to anybody when crafting all of the songs for The Last Hero. I don't think they have the "we need to create this song so that we get the support we need to headline Download or hit #1 on active rock." mentality.
:yeahthat

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

This song is great, it does feel different, while still being AB, being from NZ i knew i'd get the 5 minute version rather early, and that intro adds so much, thoroughly impressed.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I haven't read through the other 13 pages, so if someone has said this, I apologize in advance.

That pause in the chorus is going to be HUGE live. Myles letting the crowd sing "WON'T!" and "HOPE!" back at them. And as much as I'm not a fan of whoahs, the mainstream love them, so it'll appeal I guess. Overall, I think it's pretty good. I figure given a few more listens it will have totally won me over.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Our sweet little Min appears to have bought the single in NZ and it is indeed the 5:05 version with the intro.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

That's what's killing me about people worrying about this being "the new sound". When have they ever failed to have a diverse sounding album? Even ABIII, their seemingly most unliked album. STTV, All Hope Is Gone, Ghosts, Show Me A Sign, Isolation. Literally none of those songs sound the same. Isolation is more comparable to Addicted to Pain than it is to the rest of ABIII. Everything is going to be fine people :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

gbruin wrote:Our sweet little Min appears to have bought the single in NZ and it is indeed the 5:05 version with the intro.
Where did you get that info? Why doesn't she come here anymore? She made one appearance in the Randomness thread in amidst of all of this news and then nothing.

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

I'm from New Zealand, and i have indeed pre ordered the album and received the 5:05 of Show me a Leader, (you can also buy the single separately)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:
gbruin wrote:Our sweet little Min appears to have bought the single in NZ and it is indeed the 5:05 version with the intro.
Where did you get that info? Why doesn't she come here anymore? She made one appearance in the Randomness thread in amidst of all of this news and then nothing.
He got it from her Facebook. And that's a good question :lol