"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nagpo
Birth of Alter Bridge

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by nagpo »

anguyen92 wrote:Oh, there's plenty wrong with the Creed music videos, just like there are plenty wrong with AB music videos. :shifty :shifty :shifty
Creed videos are a product of their time. AB videos suffer from the irrelevancy of music videos in todays market imo.

So i guess that means they are also a product of their time.

what does that even mean? What am I saying?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

People actually believe Myles' tweet.. Great going, Myles! 10/10 trolling.

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

nagpo wrote: Creed videos are a product of their time. AB videos suffer from the irrelevancy of music videos in todays market imo.

So i guess that means they are also a product of their time.

what does that even mean? What am I saying?
I got what you are saying that those videos and the manner they are done in are the norm for their time, doesn't mean I like the style though. Take that video that was posted yesterday on Rush's Time Stands Still. I love Rush, I like Time Stands Still, but that video with all sorts of editing effects and how they position the band and green screen background, I don't like it that much, plus Geddy Lee with the Raccoon hair....... but I would like to think that's how music videos of songs that has synthesizer effects in the mid-80s were done, especially with further advancement of technology.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I suppose there is gonna be a screen behind them with clips of Trump, Obama, Bush and other world 'leader's. Just a guess.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

Timotheus wrote:People actually believe Myles' tweet.. Great going, Myles! 10/10 trolling.

Two things Myles does well. Photobombing and trolling. Lol! :lol :mkrules

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Dolo wrote:I suppose there is gonna be a screen behind them with clips of Trump, Obama, Bush and other world 'leader's. Just a guess.
I would be pretty disappointed if the biggest of all leaders wouldn't be on the screen. Jaroslaw Kaczynski. :D

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Other guys like David Cameron (who apparently did the deed with a dead pig at one point in life) and Putin will probably be shown as well.

Man, for a band that really hasn't got themselves into controversy of any kind, this video could be potentially the most controversial thing that AB has ever done.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

AB23 wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:Ehh it's okay. I like the way it starts so I can at least reward this album a good opening, extending Mark's streak to 12 albums with a good/great opening :)

The verses are good, the chorus is not and the solo is too familiar. There's your candid review, short and to the point. lol
Will be intrigued to read your thoughts on the album as a whole when it's out. Noticed you rank Creed's 'Full Circle' higher than anything AB or Tremonti has done over the past six years.
I'm a melody junkie. I've always considered Creed to be melody-heavy and Alter Bridge to be dynamic-heavy. Full Circle grew into that ranking for me, though I still nearly loathe Stapp's vocals on it. :)
Cool, man. That's fair enough. After that post last night I was thinking... "Hmm, hope he doesn't think I'm having a go here." - That wasn't my intention, was just genuinely curious. Bit of a follow-up question coming up. What works and doesn't work for you on AB3 and Fortress?
Nah, I didn't think you were bro. :)

What doesn't work on Fortress is the easier question so I'll start there. I don't like how nearly all the songs on the album start really good and then the chorus comes and the rhythm pattern feels slowed. It's rather anti-climactic. The melodies in a lot of the choruses don't appeal to me much. Also, the vocal melodies don't seem to fit the instrumental melodies in some parts. I actually like ABIII more than Fortress, and I realize that's not very popular either.

The biggest problem Alter Bridge has for me, from day one, is that they don't make a lot of songs that I love every second of. A lot of the time, and though I still enjoy it, I would do something different in the chorus or the bridge, in a part here or there. They have a tendency of not playing every note of a chord (like bar chords, for example) and I think that leaves a lack of accent to a song or melody, makes it sound incomplete in a way. Especially when you're dealing with minor chords. Coeur d'Alene is a good example of Mark playing the minor chords in the verses perfectly (to me). The sweet spot of a minor chord is that note that separates it from a major chord, and that note is missing a lot of the time. Sometimes it works to play chords incomplete, but most of the time, to me, it sounds better to nail that major note or minor note in the chord and I feel like Mark did/does that with Creed.

Tremonti's solo stuff is rockin, but it's not as substantive as Creed or Alter Bridge.

ABIII just barely falls behind Full Circle because it doesn't have as many all-around gems. There are several musical parts on ABIII I really enjoy, but it lacks in great songs 'front-to-back', if you will. Full Circle has Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Away In Silence, Full Circle (song), Time, Song You Sing. All songs that are great front-to-back or nearly great front-to-back. ABIII has Slip to the Void, Isolation, Ghosts of Days Gone by, Still Remains, Show Me A Sign, Coeur d'Alene, Life Must Go On. ABIII has one more notable than Full Circle, but the quality of great in Full Circle is higher than that of ABIII. Like I said, very close.
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Song you Sing

?!
You know, I actually had to grow into that opinion. I didn't think the vocals fit with Mark in the verses. And then I strummed the chords and realized it does fit so that gave me a new-found appreciation. The lyric "inspire us to sing along" sounds awkward musically. But man, that bridge! That bridge is absolutely beautiful. But, again, I'm aware of where I'm posting this so my skin is pretty tough. If I posted this on Creed Nation I would get a standing O lol

Show Me A Leader

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Really doubt they'll put up anything controversial, Myles is always keen to avoid stuff like that.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote:
Dolo wrote:I suppose there is gonna be a screen behind them with clips of Trump, Obama, Bush and other world 'leader's. Just a guess.
I would be pretty disappointed if the biggest of all leaders wouldn't be on the screen. Jaroslaw Kaczynski. :D
Is that a kind of bait or what?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Haha ya I just wanted an excuse to use the white guardian cat meme

nagpo
Birth of Alter Bridge

Post by nagpo »

these cat pictures are creepy as hell

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

you like them

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

Does anyone else find Myles' first verse in SMAL more slash-y than the rest of the song? The way he says "selling" at the beginning has been particularly bugging me. It's a shame, because I really like everything leading up to that point and the majority of the song afterwards.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Sunrunner1 wrote:Does anyone else find Myles' first verse in SMAL more slash-y than the rest of the song? The way he says "selling" at the beginning has been particularly bugging me. It's a shame, because I really like everything leading up to that point and the majority of the song afterwards.
It definitely sounds Slash-y, but once we got the full song that feeling wore off a bit more thankfully.

I've been listening to everything AB lately, and ODR/Blackbird have a far different sound than ABIII/Fortress, and I'm referring to the mixing. Myles feels a lot more in the forefront with the first two albums, barely harmonizing in choruses (especially with himself lol) and ranging his voice a lot more within a song. Some calmer verses, as well. I miss that.

You wonder why everyone loves Open Your Eyes? It's a track that hits peaks and valleys, the mood fits the lyrics, the breaks and solos are very evenly paced out. I want them to find their next Open Your Eyes. I don't mean it has to be radio-friendly, I just mean that it needs that next signature sound. Only that song and Blackbird have been the two "epics" to me that they have put out. I love everything else they have to offer, but nothing has stood out like these two tracks have, and I don't even think it's close.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Sunrunner1 wrote:Does anyone else find Myles' first verse in SMAL more slash-y than the rest of the song? The way he says "selling" at the beginning has been particularly bugging me. It's a shame, because I really like everything leading up to that point and the majority of the song afterwards.
It definitely sounds Slash-y, but once we got the full song that feeling wore off a bit more thankfully.

I've been listening to everything AB lately, and ODR/Blackbird have a far different sound than ABIII/Fortress, and I'm referring to the mixing. Myles feels a lot more in the forefront with the first two albums, barely harmonizing in choruses (especially with himself lol) and ranging his voice a lot more within a song. Some calmer verses, as well. I miss that.

You wonder why everyone loves Open Your Eyes? It's a track that hits peaks and valleys, the mood fits the lyrics, the breaks and solos are very evenly paced out. I want them to find their next Open Your Eyes. I don't mean it has to be radio-friendly, I just mean that it needs that next signature sound. Only that song and Blackbird have been the two "epics" to me that they have put out. I love everything
else they have to offer, but nothing has stood out like these two tracks have, and I don't even think it's close.

Myles vocal range on Cry of Achillies and hard to match imo i also feel that song has peaks and valley's also Fortress stands out that way to me

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Raven wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

You wonder why everyone loves Open Your Eyes? It's a track that hits peaks and valleys, the mood fits the lyrics, the breaks and solos are very evenly paced out. I want them to find their next Open Your Eyes. I don't mean it has to be radio-friendly, I just mean that it needs that next signature sound. Only that song and Blackbird have been the two "epics" to me that they have put out. I love everything
else they have to offer, but nothing has stood out like these two tracks have, and I don't even think it's close.

Open Your Eyes.

Its in my top 3 AB songs.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: You wonder why everyone loves Open Your Eyes?
I don't, I skip it most of the time. :shrug
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I'm not a huge Open Your Eyes fan, it's not bad. It just reminds me too much of the Weathered album and My Sacrifice. The rest of ODR is what drew me to AB.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Open Your Eyes is a great live song, especially because of the sing-along part (I'll always remember my first AB concert back in 2010, we had a great crowd that sang that part before the concert had even begun). In general though, there are AT LEAST 20 Alter Bridge songs immediately coming to my mind that I love much, much more.

It's also hilarious that you find OYE and Blackbird are their only epics. Absolutely fine, that's your opinion, but I can hardly believe that someone could not think that songs like Words or Cry of Achilles aren't epic. At the same time, I would've never even dreamed about describing OYE as epic in any way because it's not for me. ^^