"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by anguyen92 »

I, for one, quite liked Kentucky, even after a couple of months later of hearing the songs from it. I have that as my leading favorite album of the year (yes, I enjoyed it more than Dust). There was a certain charm in that album that made it more enjoyable for me than their last two albums.

Anywho, back on topic. So Show Me A Leader. My opinion still stands on it. Good single, radio edit sucks, that opening intro really helps tie the song together to make it a solid single. As the opening track of the album? I don't know. They set such high standards with Slip To the Void and Cry of Achilles that it is hard to match those songs as the opening song of the album, but we'll see how it goes when we hear the album.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Jim wrote:
Lukeage wrote:That would be because it's utter shite. BSC have turned into a radio-friendly "rock" band who always come out in interviews and say "we really went back to our roots on this record!" and "we put our heart and soul into it" and all that and it sounds like piss. Radio-friendly, watered down, piss.

AB never talk like that in interviews and they're a much more likeable band than BSC because they still have their balls in the right place.

Either BSC have their balls in the vice of the record label(s), or, they secretly wish they could be a pop band.
As a close friend and road crew member for Black Stone Cherry; I take great personal disrespect by the things you have said in this post Lukeage. I appreciate you have a view on the direction their music takes, but the wording you have used is offensive. And actually incorrectly assumed.
I could somewhat agree with Lukeage's comments if he was talking about Magic Mountain, but man, their new album is amazing. I do feel like they put their heart and soul into that one and went back to their roots. Just my opinion ;) As for the record label comment, their new label let the band have a lot of control. Anyway, we're getting off-topic again...

Let's see... last thing that was on-topic...ah yes, Shea's comment about wanting an instrumental version of the song. I agree. I like the big sound of SMAL as a whole, but it's hard to pick out many individual parts. It's not over-produced in an effects kind of way, but it does get a little blendy.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:I, for one, quite liked Kentucky, even after a couple of months later of hearing the songs from it. I have that as my leading favorite album of the year (yes, I enjoyed it more than Dust). There was a certain charm in that album that made it more enjoyable for me than their last two albums.

Anywho, back on topic. So Show Me A Leader. My opinion still stands on it. Good single, radio edit sucks, that opening intro really helps tie the song together to make it a solid single. As the opening track of the album? I don't know. They set such high standards with Slip To the Void and Cry of Achilles that it is hard to match those songs as the opening song of the album, but we'll see how it goes when we hear the album.
Agree there, I think it compares really well to their past singles, less well to past opening tracks as a whole, but the intro itself will be a fantastic opening to the album.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

DCooper727 wrote:
AB23 wrote:
wait you have got to be kidding me. You post this, and then tell ME to stop raging on people's opinions? Good god.

AB III is their weakest album. I am not the only one that thinks that around here. In fact, other people around here have been similarly outspoken. So back the fuck off.
This is why people are getting upset with you in this thread; you are stating your opinions like they are gospel. Also, there is no need to curse at anyone. If anything, you should look at the amount of people replying to you and notice that nearly all of them seem to be getting the same vibe from your replies, and that says a lot about the tone of said replies. No one is attacking you here, so maybe try not to curse at them.
oh ok so i should pretext my posts with "i think", because you people can't imply clearly subjective opinions about music to undeniable facts. Good to know.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Are we actually listening to the same BSC record, man? Some great tunes on Kentucky. Shakin My Cage and The Rambler are two of my favorite songs from this year.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

I agree with Lukeage about BSC new album way to radio friendly and very Nickelback to me if AB every went that way i would be a very sour AB fan

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I've been on these boards for more than 11 years and the 3 greatest disrupters have been ODR vs all the records, Elvis and commercial song structures... One of those always hijacks a thread. Bizarre how nothing has really changed.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Dolo wrote:Then they'd be basically saying that Myles has been useless all the time songwriting-wise cause all the ODR as written by Mark before Myles came aboard.
Well, that's what I liked about ODR : it was all Mark, his Creed tones were still there, and Myles still had his beautiful MF4 voice.
I think Myles is a great alternative rock writer (I seriously love his MF4 albums), but IMO, his metal riffs aren't that good. Unlike Mark, you can tell metal is not in his blood.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote:
Dolo wrote:Then they'd be basically saying that Myles has been useless all the time songwriting-wise cause all the ODR as written by Mark before Myles came aboard.
Well, that's what I liked about ODR : it was all Mark, his Creed tones were still there, and Myles still had his beautiful MF4 voice.
I think Myles is a great alternative rock writer (I seriously love his MF4 albums), but IMO, his metal riffs aren't that good. Unlike Mark, you can tell metal is not in his blood.
Bleed it Dry verse riff is by Myles, and it's one of the meanest riffs I've heard in AB.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

If not the meanest

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Dolo wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
Bleed it Dry verse riff is by Myles, and it's one of the meanest riffs I've heard in AB.

Myles bluesy style vs Mark's metal side is what makes AB standout to me especially when they solo off each other like on Blackbird/Fortress or Farther than the sun

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Raven wrote:
Myles bluesy style vs Mark's metal side is what makes AB standout to me especially when they solo off each other like on Blackbird/Fortress or Farther than the sun
Well, Farther than The Sun solo is pretty shreddy on both counts, but completely agree on Blackbird.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Dolo wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
I actually think Myles' heavy side is heavily underrated and definitely underappreciated.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

VigilantSteve wrote:I actually think Myles' heavy side is heavily underrated and definitely underappreciated.
Agreed. Wish he got a chance to showcase more of it. At this point, all he does in terms of heavy usually is share Marks riffs and plays them on the record. It'd be interesting to hear Myles' heavier side become an influence on AB more so than now. Let him make some of the stand-out riffs on tracks.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:I actually think Myles' heavy side is heavily underrated and definitely underappreciated.
Agreed. Wish he got a chance to showcase more of it. At this point, all he does in terms of heavy usually is share Marks riffs and plays them on the record. It'd be interesting to hear Myles' heavier side become an influence on AB more so than now. Let him make some of the stand-out riffs on tracks.
Afaik both of them write things for Alter Bridge on the road whenever they have a cool idea and show it to each other. I'm pretty sure that Myles has all the freedoms to compose heavy riffs, maybe he just doesn't want to. ^^

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Blackbird wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Afaik both of them write things for Alter Bridge on the road whenever they have a cool idea and show it to each other. I'm pretty sure that Myles has all the freedoms to compose heavy riffs, maybe he just doesn't want to. ^^
I know. I'm just saying he should. As well as Solo more. And Mark should do more co-lead vocals. A fan can dream.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlCocoAVIE/

They're shooting a video!

In true Napalm style, with a green screen :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlCocoAVIE/

Sweet! Thanks Timo :)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlCocoAVIE/

WHAT????? Really? Them utilizing a green screen? Are we going to see crazy CGI effects or something?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.