"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by slasherbridge »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Here's what I have to say to both of your guys' opinions and arguing about stuff that doesn't involve Show Me A Leader:

No-oh-oh-oh-oh! No-oh-oh-oh-oh! No-oh-oh-oh-oh! :lol
This.

AB3 got me through hard times, so anyone who says it is inferior is wrong.

I've been trying to figure out how they are going to pull Show Me a Leader off live. It's fairly complicated in terms of the intro, and all of the vocals.

They will most likely use a playback recording for the first half of the intro. I expect once the drums and Myles' solo comes in though, they will start actually playing their instruments.

I have no idea about the vocals though. They'll figure it out though. Can't wait to see the first live videos of it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

slasherbridge wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Here's what I have to say to both of your guys' opinions and arguing about stuff that doesn't involve Show Me A Leader:

No-oh-oh-oh-oh! No-oh-oh-oh-oh! No-oh-oh-oh-oh! :lol

so anyone who says it is inferior is wrong.

[/quote]

hahahahaha this is silly

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

ABIII is a great album. There, I said it.

I'm curious what people at the LP can say about the "sound" of the rest of the album when we first likened to this one to a Slash song. I understand that it doesn't really seem like one anymore now that we have the intro tied to it so maybe you never got that connection in the first place, but to understand where we were coming from when we said that, do ya'll think there is any chance we will get that feeling from other songs? Or are the majority of all of them... for lack of a better term... "vintage" AB?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Honestly it had elements from all of their past works. It's probably closer to Fortress than anything else, but it certainly had some of the big, melodic elements of ODR as well.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:ABIII is a great album. There, I said it.

I'm curious what people at the LP can say about the "sound" of the rest of the album when we first likened to this one to a Slash song. I understand that it doesn't really seem like one anymore now that we have the intro tied to it so maybe you never got that connection in the first place, but to understand where we were coming from when we said that, do ya'll think there is any chance we will get that feeling from other songs? Or are the majority of all of them... for lack of a better term... "vintage" AB?
From what I heard from the 30 second previews - NONE of the other tracks scream out "Slash" to me. Hella heavy some of it. I'm looking at you Island of Fools!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ha, turns out Mark does most of the backings! The "No's" are all Myles, but Mark does all the others!
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

CallumC94
Brand New Start

Post by CallumC94 »

I don't think Myles will bother with the no'ooooooh's. Maybe just the first one then get the crowd chanting them? Would be awesome really. And if Mark does the other backings then I don't see any other issues.

And am I the only person here who would have liked to have more verses/lyrics in this song? Myles is capable of more...

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

I like how most songs make use of triplets for emphasis in the final chorus of a song. In Show Me a Leader, they reverse it and use triplets for every chorus except the final chorus. It's a neat change of pace.
:yeahthat

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

CallumC94 wrote:I don't think Myles will bother with the no'ooooooh's. Maybe just the first one then get the crowd chanting them? Would be awesome really. And if Mark does the other backings then I don't see any other issues.

And am I the only person here who would have liked to have more verses/lyrics in this song? Myles is capable of more...
This. Show Me A Leader is a PERFECT live song and that No-oh-oh-oh parts are just destined to be shouted by the crowd. Can't wait to do that! (x

Concerning the lyrics - imo a song that gets a message across without a whole lot of lyrics is actually harder to write than one with a whole lot of text. I'm perfectly fine with that.

CallumC94
Brand New Start

Post by CallumC94 »

Blackbird wrote:
CallumC94 wrote:I don't think Myles will bother with the no'ooooooh's. Maybe just the first one then get the crowd chanting them? Would be awesome really. And if Mark does the other backings then I don't see any other issues.

This. Show Me A Leader is a PERFECT live song and that No-oh-oh-oh parts are just destined to be shouted by the crowd. Can't wait to do that! (x

Concerning the lyrics - imo a song that gets a message across without a whole lot of lyrics is actually harder to write than one with a whole lot of text. I'm perfectly fine with that.
You are probably right, and fewer lyrics will make them more memorable (I can already sing along to the song after only 3-4 listens). Also, Myles is less likely to forget them and mix them up when playing it live I guess.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yeah, it did occur to me that the verses are short, but I honestly think the song is paced perfectly. Doubling the length of the verses could have dragged it down. Plus if you consider the "noooo" parts to be part of the verse, then the verses are pretty typical in length.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The verses are my least favorite part of the song, so I'l fine with the length. It doesn't feel forced to me as well.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:Ehh it's okay. I like the way it starts so I can at least reward this album a good opening, extending Mark's streak to 12 albums with a good/great opening :)

The verses are good, the chorus is not and the solo is too familiar. There's your candid review, short and to the point. lol
Will be intrigued to read your thoughts on the album as a whole when it's out. Noticed you rank Creed's 'Full Circle' higher than anything AB or Tremonti has done over the past six years.
I'm a melody junkie. I've always considered Creed to be melody-heavy and Alter Bridge to be dynamic-heavy. Full Circle grew into that ranking for me, though I still nearly loathe Stapp's vocals on it. :)
Cool, man. That's fair enough. After that post last night I was thinking... "Hmm, hope he doesn't think I'm having a go here." - That wasn't my intention, was just genuinely curious. Bit of a follow-up question coming up. What works and doesn't work for you on AB3 and Fortress?
Nah, I didn't think you were bro. :)

What doesn't work on Fortress is the easier question so I'll start there. I don't like how nearly all the songs on the album start really good and then the chorus comes and the rhythm pattern feels slowed. It's rather anti-climactic. The melodies in a lot of the choruses don't appeal to me much. Also, the vocal melodies don't seem to fit the instrumental melodies in some parts. I actually like ABIII more than Fortress, and I realize that's not very popular either.

The biggest problem Alter Bridge has for me, from day one, is that they don't make a lot of songs that I love every second of. A lot of the time, and though I still enjoy it, I would do something different in the chorus or the bridge, in a part here or there. They have a tendency of not playing every note of a chord (like bar chords, for example) and I think that leaves a lack of accent to a song or melody, makes it sound incomplete in a way. Especially when you're dealing with minor chords. Coeur d'Alene is a good example of Mark playing the minor chords in the verses perfectly (to me). The sweet spot of a minor chord is that note that separates it from a major chord, and that note is missing a lot of the time. Sometimes it works to play chords incomplete, but most of the time, to me, it sounds better to nail that major note or minor note in the chord and I feel like Mark did/does that with Creed.

Tremonti's solo stuff is rockin, but it's not as substantive as Creed or Alter Bridge.

ABIII just barely falls behind Full Circle because it doesn't have as many all-around gems. There are several musical parts on ABIII I really enjoy, but it lacks in great songs 'front-to-back', if you will. Full Circle has Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Away In Silence, Full Circle (song), Time, Song You Sing. All songs that are great front-to-back or nearly great front-to-back. ABIII has Slip to the Void, Isolation, Ghosts of Days Gone by, Still Remains, Show Me A Sign, Coeur d'Alene, Life Must Go On. ABIII has one more notable than Full Circle, but the quality of great in Full Circle is higher than that of ABIII. Like I said, very close.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:Ehh it's okay. I like the way it starts so I can at least reward this album a good opening, extending Mark's streak to 12 albums with a good/great opening :)

The verses are good, the chorus is not and the solo is too familiar. There's your candid review, short and to the point. lol
Will be intrigued to read your thoughts on the album as a whole when it's out. Noticed you rank Creed's 'Full Circle' higher than anything AB or Tremonti has done over the past six years.
I'm a melody junkie. I've always considered Creed to be melody-heavy and Alter Bridge to be dynamic-heavy. Full Circle grew into that ranking for me, though I still nearly loathe Stapp's vocals on it. :)
Cool, man. That's fair enough. After that post last night I was thinking... "Hmm, hope he doesn't think I'm having a go here." - That wasn't my intention, was just genuinely curious. Bit of a follow-up question coming up. What works and doesn't work for you on AB3 and Fortress?

What doesn't work on Fortress is the easier question so I'll start there. I don't like how nearly all the songs on the album start really good and then the chorus comes and the rhythm pattern feels slowed. It's rather anti-climactic. The melodies in a lot of the choruses don't appeal to me much. Also, the vocal melodies don't seem to fit the instrumental melodies in some parts. I actually like ABIII more than Fortress, and I realize that's not very popular either.

The biggest problem Alter Bridge has for me, from day one, is that they don't make a lot of songs that I love every second of. A lot of the time, and though I still enjoy it, I would do something different in the chorus or the bridge, in a part here or there. They have a tendency of not playing every note of a chord (like bar chords, for example) and I think that leaves a lack of accent to a song or melody, makes it sound incomplete in a way. Especially when you're dealing with minor chords. Coeur d'Alene is a good example of Mark playing the minor chords in the verses perfectly (to me). The sweet spot of a minor chord is that note that separates it from a major chord, and that note is missing a lot of the time. Sometimes it works to play chords incomplete, but most of the time, to me, it sounds better to nail that major note or minor note in the chord and I feel like Mark did/does that with Creed.

Tremonti's solo stuff is rockin, but it's not as substantive as Creed or Alter Bridge.

ABIII just barely falls behind Full Circle because it doesn't have as many all-around gems. There are several musical parts on ABIII I really enjoy, but it lacks in great songs 'front-to-back', if you will. Full Circle has Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Away In Silence, Full Circle (song), Time, Song You Sing. All songs that are great front-to-back or nearly great front-to-back. ABIII has Slip to the Void, Isolation, Ghosts of Days Gone by, Still Remains, Show Me A Sign, Coeur d'Alene, Life Must Go On. ABIII has one more notable than Full Circle, but the quality of great in Full Circle is higher than that of ABIII. Like I said, very close.
Wait you consider Song you Sing as good

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Lol at Monty invalidating an entire argument with one inquiry.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

ABIII is widely considered amongst Alter Bridge fans to be the weakest of the 4 albums. It had to follow Blackbird, and that was always going to be an impossible feat.

I happen to be more emotionally attached to some of the songs from ABIII than any other they've done.. But that could just be my state of mind when it was released..

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Why aren't we talking about how stupid the no's sound?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Violent Corpse wrote:Why aren't we talking about how stupid the no's sound?
Because that horse has been beaten to death.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:

Troops4Tremonti wrote:
Song you Sing

?!

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

I personally love AB3! Great album front to back!

I don't know how anyone can compare Full Circle and AB3, no contest for me even though I enjoyed FC, AB3 just blows it out the water!