"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by AB23 »

jesus kev slow your roll

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Currently #3 on the US iTunes rock chart!
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

I changed my e-mail and couldn't reactivate my account until yesterday.

Digging the song. Love the chorus. Can't wait 'til the whole album's out.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Would like to post my overall thoughts on the song after giving it quite a few listens.

While I think the song could work either way, the full song is MASSIVELY improved by the intro. It adds flavor and leads perfectly into an awesome song and more than likely an awesome album.

Something I noticed from the official release version of the song from the lyric video is the vast amount of background vocals from Mark when you listen carefully. Mark is really pushing his vocals more this album, which obviously comes from his increasing confidence as a singer. Seeing Mark last night at Clarkston, MI this confidence was very evident even with Alter Bridge. Not sure if others have noticed this, but Mark is singing even in the bridge (the "Oooooooo-ohhhs"). I love it. I do wish his vocals were just slightly louder, however. Maybe he is lowered in order to not overpower Myles' voice at all.

The song was a definite grower as I wasn't sure what to think about the song on the first listen, but the chorus suddenly clicked and it felt like Alter Bridge again. Although there might be some slight similarities, I don't think the song sounds like Slash. The solo in the intro was incredible to me, while Mark's also was pretty awesome.

The "nooooooos" in the prechorus were strange at first as well, but after thinking about it, the fact that they are in an Alter Bridge song makes it unique to me. Besides, plenty of successful songs from modern rock bands incorporate things like that - it is catchy. In the US especially, when they are trying to gain fans, obviously catchiness is important.

In the end, the song was a great single. I am very anxious to see the different directions in which the album goes, especially after listening to the previews.

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ Wait, did they play Show Me A Leader in the show at Clarkston?
Unfortunately they did not. I didn't really expect them to. Not enough time for the song to gain attention I'm assuming. Whether or not they introduce it this tour, that remains to be seen.

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

AB23 wrote:Ya the repetition of the "No's" is so cheesy, annoying, and American sounding
Brah, they're American.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Lenishere wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:^^ Wait, did they play Show Me A Leader in the show at Clarkston?
Unfortunately they did not. I didn't really expect them to. Not enough time for the song to gain attention I'm assuming. Whether or not they introduce it this tour, that remains to be seen.
Strange. A typically AB decision :lol You'd think they'd want to promote the new song ASAP and sell it hard at the merch stand.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's such an Alter Bridge thing to do..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Thats like..... soooooo Alter Bridge.

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Crumbso wrote:Thats like..... soooooo Alter Bridge.
Oh gosh, I could see it now...

Release new song. Never play it.

#JustAlterBridgeyThings

:facepalm please don't photoshop this.

(Not mention to be taken seriously by the way lol)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

[atconcert] "You guys know we got a new single out right?"

*cheering*

*Plays opening notes to Before Tomorrow Comes*[/atconcert]
:facepalm :lol

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

The intro definitely adds a lot. Makes it a much smoother transition when it cuts to the main part of the song.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Crumbso wrote:[atconcert] "You guys know we got a new single out right?"

*cheering*

Internet win of the day....

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Lenishere wrote:Would like to post my overall thoughts on the song after giving it quite a few listens.

While I think the song could work either way, the full song is MASSIVELY improved by the intro. It adds flavor and leads perfectly into an awesome song and more than likely an awesome album.

Something I noticed from the official release version of the song from the lyric video is the vast amount of background vocals from Mark when you listen carefully. Mark is really pushing his vocals more this album, which obviously comes from his increasing confidence as a singer. Seeing Mark last night at Clarkston, MI this confidence was very evident even with Alter Bridge. Not sure if others have noticed this, but Mark is singing even in the bridge (the "Oooooooo-ohhhs"). I love it. I do wish his vocals were just slightly louder, however. Maybe he is lowered in order to not overpower Myles' voice at all.

The song was a definite grower as I wasn't sure what to think about the song on the first listen, but the chorus suddenly clicked and it felt like Alter Bridge again. Although there might be some slight similarities, I don't think the song sounds like Slash. The solo in the intro was incredible to me, while Mark's also was pretty awesome.

The "nooooooos" in the prechorus were strange at first as well, but after thinking about it, the fact that they are in an Alter Bridge song makes it unique to me. Besides, plenty of successful songs from modern rock bands incorporate things like that - it is catchy. In the US especially, when they are trying to gain fans, obviously catchiness is important.

In the end, the song was a great single. I am very anxious to see the different directions in which the album goes, especially after listening to the previews.
I guess I'm not hearing Mark singing on the "ohhhh ohhh ohhhs" To me it sounds like Myles singing in two different keys that were mixed together for the album... Marks vocals are pretty noticeable and have a little more bass than Myles higher tones... Oh well. The song is growing on me. Just 300 too many "ohh ohh ohhs" for me to really dig it. Just feels like an Elvis filler idea...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Crumbso wrote:[atconcert] "You guys know we got a new single out right?"

*cheering*

This is so believable that I thought you were saying this actually happened :lol

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

pokefan_4 wrote:
Lenishere wrote:Would like to post my overall thoughts on the song after giving it quite a few listens.

I guess I'm not hearing Mark singing on the "ohhhh ohhh ohhhs" To me it sounds like Myles singing in two different keys that were mixed together for the album... Marks vocals are pretty noticeable and have a little more bass than Myles higher tones... Oh well. The song is growing on me. Just 300 too many "ohh ohh ohhs" for me to really dig it. Just feels like an Elvis filler idea...
I'm actually really surprised of the number of people here who dislike the "noooo-ohhh-ohhh" parts. I think they're super catchy and enjoy them quite a bit.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I really like them as well. I just think they could've been mixed better. It sounds way too thin and high. Could've used more backings to make it fuller. Hopefully it'll sound better live with the crowd singing along.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oh man. A crowd chant style vocal would have been so epic in this version of the song. Echoes the sentiment of the song too.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Timotheus wrote:I really like them as well. I just think they could've been mixed better. It sounds way too thin and high. Could've used more backings to make it fuller. Hopefully it'll sound better live with the crowd singing along.

The last part of the no no no's Myles hit it just so rich nobody hit high's and sustains the notes as pure as he does right now