"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by dFhimz »

AB23 wrote:anyone get lyrics? That may change it for me.

I pray that in the chorus it isn't going "Show me a leader who won't come from Mars" because good lord I am done if that is what he's saying.
How many AB songs do you like in their total discography? I mostly see you calling half their songs meh and other songs ok but not your style. :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I'd say that not the height but the manner of singing is very much Slash-esque.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote:@Crumbso : if you look at the waveform, it hasn't been cut off. Just look at all those little peaks all throughout the song.
Some over-compressed songs look like this :
Data compression is different to volume compression.

It could well be AAC VBR which would explain the artifacting cymbals and loss of clarity on the upper guitar frequencies (Elvis likes him some treble rich guitar) despite a lack of 15-16k low pass. Regardless of the source, you can tell this is a data-compressed source just by using your ears. Not saying that mix will be awesome, just that this is not the final quality we'll hear.

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... your-music
Last edited by Crumbso on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

dFhimz wrote:

I pray that in the chorus it isn't going "Show me a leader who won't come from Mars" because good lord I am done if that is what he's saying.
How many AB songs do you like in their total discography? I mostly see you calling half their songs meh and other songs ok but not your style. :lol
you understand this is the first song they've released in 3 years eh. So you must have one hell of a memory.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

People are arguing and blowing things to epic proportions. Love TABN when AB releases a new single :D

I honestly don't think it sounds that much like a Slash song. The whoa's and the overdubs have a Slash vibe, but that's it. This sounds just as Alter Bridge to me than anything on Fortress.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Well they’re selling another messiah
Here tonight
But we’re all way too numb and divided to buy it

Say it
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3
We are too divided this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

Dissillusioned and tired of waiting
For the one
Who’s intentions would go unpersuaded
We can trust

Say it
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3
Cause a promise is never enough
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

(We need a hero this time)
I know x2
I know if we’re to survive
We need another
This is not the end
How will we ever get by?
It’s getting harder to ???

(MARK SOLO)

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

Show me a leader that knows what is right
Show me a leader that so hope can survive
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
Or we will never survive!
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

won't compromise is much better than I thought. That's a relief

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Okay, am I the only one who doesn't hear "whoooah", but "noooooo " instead? Am I hard of hearing? :embarrassed

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

1) This song rules the more i listen to it. Catchy and memorable in the best way.
2) It's gonna slay live.
3) We haven't even heard it with the intro. I need to hear it in full. Can't wait.
4) Kroger Private Selection ice cream has insane cookies n cream and coffee flavors
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:

Well they’re selling another messiah
Here tonight
But we’re all way too numb and divided to buy it

Say it
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3
We are too divided this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

Dissillusioned and tired of waiting
For the one
Who’s intentions would go unpersuaded
We can trust

Say it
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3
Cause a promise is never enough
(no-oh oh-oh-oh) x3

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

(We need a hero this time)
I know x2
I know if we’re to survive
We need another
This is not the end
How will we ever get by?
It’s getting harder to ???

(MARK SOLO)

CHORUS:
Show me a leader that
Won’t compromise
Show me a leader so
Hope never dies

Show me a leader that knows what is right
Show me a leader that so hope can survive
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)
We need a hero this time
(no-oh oh-oh-oh)

Thanks for that Shea, my previoust question became obsolete :)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote:It's a better song with the intro and I think hearing that at the start will change the overall impression of the song for a lot of people.
One reason I'm not going anywhere near it till the full thing's out. Don't know if this is anything similar, but if I'd heard Slip to the Void first time round with that intro a hell of a lot of the impact would be gone.

Oh well, hopefully only 9 hours left...
For all of the hope that it brings...

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

WHY did Mark rip himself off on the solo. WHY. It's almost exactly the same solo as The Cage. How is that progressing?!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

mockingbird wrote:WHY did Mark rip himself off on the solo. WHY. It's almost exactly the same solo as The Cage. How is that progressing?!
I knew I wasn't the only one who heard The Cage in there! :lol
Krissie wrote:Thanks for that Shea, my previoust question became obsolete :)
You're welcome, Krissie!

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

Ubik wrote:
gbruin wrote:It's a better song with the intro and I think hearing that at the start will change the overall impression of the song for a lot of people.
One reason I'm not going anywhere near it till the full thing's out. Don't know if this is anything similar, but if I'd heard Slip to the Void first time round with that intro a hell of a lot of the impact would be gone.

Oh well, hopefully only 9 hours left...
I'm guessing you meant if you'd heard STTV for the first time without the intro the impact would be gone and I agree. I just commented not too far back that I'm glad I heard this song the first time at the LP with the intro. it was jaw dropping for me, and others, too, I think.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I've only heard The Cage 5 or 6 times, so I'm not too bothered by that.

The song is growing on me a lot. I don't really see how it's that commercial opposed to Addicted to Pain or Isolation. It's got a 1:20 long intro and its chorus is more "complex" than any of their other singles. So what if there are a few Woa's
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Sounds like Slash music.

Also whoever just mentioned the cage solo and this solo sounding similar just ruined my favorite part of the song. Do sound similar, damn.

Overall, not too impressed. This single won't climb the charts, and won't put any more asses in seats. Oh well.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Timotheus wrote:I've only heard The Cage 5 or 6 times, so I'm not too bothered by that.

The song is growing on me a lot. I don't really see how it's that commercial opposed to Addicted to Pain or Isolation. It's got a 1:20 long intro and its chorus is more "complex" than any of their other singles. So what if there are a few Woa's
Couldn't agree more

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Lotha wrote:I thought Myles sounded great, and I don't really understand people saying he sounds Slash-y whenever he sings a little higher.
It's not about how high he sings or whatever. He has the exact same vocal lines that he also uses for Slash (I don't mean the text, but the melody). It's UNDENIABLY very similar. I mean, I like it, so there's nothing wrong with that for me.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

I will second that this sounds very like Slash and Myles... thankfully it's more reminiscent of World On Fire rather than the terrible Apocalyptic Love. I like World On Fire but wasn't necessarily rooting for too much of Myles' style from it to make it into Alter Bridge.

However this song is catchy - one listen online and once after downloading and already the chorus is stuck in my head. I will side with the stop-start in the chorus being a highlight rather than a flaw. I could see it being argued to be a tad cheesy but it I think it fits the song and makes it more memorable. The solo seems great too and puts it a cut above where it could be without it. Overall this is a little different to previous Alter Bridge - anthemic, but a little more upbeat and less moody - and it's a difference that is kind of suggested by the tone of the album artwork and design compared to previous albums. I think that Calm The Fire would be a good reference point for the sound.

Hugely disappointing that this isn't the full track though, especially as the intro sounds interesting and potentially a highlight of the song based on the listening party reviews (I understand there was a sample available, but I am aiming to avoid oversaturating myself with snippets before getting the whole album or at least whole songs). Normally I am fine with allowing myself to overlisten to one single before a really anticipated album, but knowing that this isn't the full version makes me reluctant to listen to this much. Does anyone know if the full version will be released as a single with this being a "radio edit"?

This is the opening track, and overall I am definitely not blown away the way I was when I first listened to Ties That Bind, Slip To The Void or Cry Of Achilles (maybe the intro would make the song more impactful though). However, comparing this to a first single like Addicted To Pain and it seems to hold up to about that standard on my first couple of listens. It doesn't completely assure me this album will be up to the standard of previous ones or remove all doubt about the direction, but I would probably have to say the same thing about every Alter Bridge album on listening to their lead single alone (Addicted To Pain, Isolation, Open Your Eyes... Rise Today from the mighty Blackbird :lol ) .
Last edited by RuRo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Frankly, it's impossible for guitarists to never rip themselves off. We all have our favorite patterns and unique quirks. Heck, many blues rock guitarists rip themselves off on nearly every solo lol....believe me. I love this solo...it's so explosive and structurally not very similar to The Cage. Yes multiple parts he used in The Cage, but I don't mind cause they're wicked patterns and they work to different effect within this song. I think the solo section in this song works brilliantly. Such a head bobber :lol ...i involuntarily sway throughout the solo. And those last few notes that lead back into the chorus...man, just magnificent. And that's the posh take