Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

Post by abw1987 »

gbruin wrote:Andy and cheesedip: It's hard to explain why I thought Breaking Benjamin was weird. The show just had very little flow or cohesiveness, I guess. They had these fog cannons that they used way too much and too arbitrarily. They were all over the place in the middle of songs and just seemed gratuitous and distracted from the music, but they turned them off with two songs left so they were nowhere in their finale. Ben Burley (the singer) would play drums at times but his kit was turned sideways in the back against the drum riser so it just looked out of place and he would kind of disappear. They did this weird Star Wars/nerd speech thing with a light saber and then a mashup of several songs including the Imperial March, Smells Like Teen Spirit (a song I totally hate), and an instrumental of Pantera's Walk. I really wanted to like their set but the entire show just never really connected or flowed for me. But it's just me. There were plenty of BB fans who seemed to love it, so it's just one opinion.
I can see that. The fog cannons were a little distracting when I saw them in Scranton to be honest -- super loud to the point where I could barely hear the music. And Ben completely disappeared from the stage during a couple songs to let his other band members sing. They did a great job with the vocals, but it was a little odd. I'm guessing Ben needs to rest his voice occasionally as he appears to struggle singing live somewhat.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

https://m.facebook.com/140514345999992/ ... &source=48

Awesome shot from last night. They did Sound of Silence again.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Sucks they didn't do it at Red Rocks

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

abw1987 wrote:
gbruin wrote:Andy and cheesedip: It's hard to explain why I thought Breaking Benjamin was weird. The show just had very little flow or cohesiveness, I guess. They had these fog cannons that they used way too much and too arbitrarily. They were all over the place in the middle of songs and just seemed gratuitous and distracted from the music, but they turned them off with two songs left so they were nowhere in their finale. Ben Burley (the singer) would play drums at times but his kit was turned sideways in the back against the drum riser so it just looked out of place and he would kind of disappear. They did this weird Star Wars/nerd speech thing with a light saber and then a mashup of several songs including the Imperial March, Smells Like Teen Spirit (a song I totally hate), and an instrumental of Pantera's Walk. I really wanted to like their set but the entire show just never really connected or flowed for me. But it's just me. There were plenty of BB fans who seemed to love it, so it's just one opinion.
I can see that. The fog cannons were a little distracting when I saw them in Scranton to be honest -- super loud to the point where I could barely hear the music. And Ben completely disappeared from the stage during a couple songs to let his other band members sing. They did a great job with the vocals, but it was a little odd. I'm guessing Ben needs to rest his voice occasionally as he appears to struggle singing live somewhat.
It's funny because I had the opposite experience in Montreal. BB didn't use fog as far as I could tell and I enjoyed being able to actually see the band the whole time, whereas for AB, I went up near the front of the crowd to really see the guys play and they had fog going all the time and pretty randomly at that, it was kind of disappointing.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

Timotheus wrote:https://m.facebook.com/140514345999992/ ... &source=48

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Vaux wrote:
Timotheus wrote:https://m.facebook.com/140514345999992/ ... &source=48

That was amazing. :cloud9

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

gbruin wrote: Ben Burley (the singer) would play drums at times

Huh? Could you go into a little more detail? Why would he be playing drums? Do u mean like a drum solo ocassionaly or something?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think I saw Ben play drums (not a big kit) during the bridge of Ashes of Eden when I saw that Breaking Benjamin live stream. Don't know when else he plays them. He usually plays guitar.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Why tho? Drummer not good enough? Drummer is busy doing something else? Playing drums just because?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

If you hear the performance, when Ben plays the drums in that bridge, there's an added texture along with the sound the drummer makes in the song. Or that's what I think/hear.

Here's an example, around the 5:00 mark.

Gingerella72
Brand New Start

Post by Gingerella72 »

Greg, thank you for sharing such a detailed experience! I wonder if the meet and greets will be a little more relaxed on headline shows. The show I'm going to is a tiny club in Lincoln and no opening acts are listed. Maybe I'll get lucky, but this gives me an idea of what to probably expect.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

cheesedip1 wrote:
gbruin wrote: Ben Burley (the singer) would play drums at times

Huh? Could you go into a little more detail? Why would he be playing drums? Do u mean like a drum solo ocassionaly or something?
He did this at the Scranton show as well. There was a separate drum kit on the stage next to the drum riser, facing the main drum set. Not a particularly large kit, just something for Ben to use occasionally. He only used it a couple of times, presumably to add a little extra percussion to whatever instrumental was going on at the time.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

More Tremonti with Saint Asonia, with a little shred at the end.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I liked the Ashes of Eden live vid

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Vaux wrote:More Tremonti with Saint Asonia, with a little shred at the end.

Nice! They certainly look like they're having fun. Adam struggles with the vocals a bit, but glad to see Mark getting some crossover exposure.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

They changed things up a bit with setlist last night and drummer from BB played Come to Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vHax7escI4

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

^^^ Cool, wouldn't have even known it wasn't flip if they hadn't said anything, he did a good job. I would think it would be difficult to just hop in and play a different set of drums like that.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Awesome! Such a different vibe.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I wonder whose idea it was to start all of these cameo appearances on certain songs from other members from the bands? Obviously I only really care for the ones where AB gets to combine with the bands and not vice-versa, but it's weird seeing someone else but Flip drumming in an AB Song.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's fun to see them do those things with other bands. This reminds me of the good ol' Family Values days...
BUT I have to say this Saint Asonia band is horrible. And the Breaking Benajmin drummer sounds like an amateur. I'm totally unfamiliar with those 2 bands, but if that's the best the US rock scene has to offer, it's pretty sad. AB is just on another level.