Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austin.
On The Rail

Re: Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

Post by austin. »

Felypesh wrote:The overly excited headbanging fan in the crowd :lol

That overly excited headbanging fan in the crowd is going to be me in Charlotte.

Someone record me and post it and you can all laugh at me but I really don't care. I always jam at concerts, Mark always gives me guitar picks too heh.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

austin. wrote:
Felypesh wrote:The overly excited headbanging fan in the crowd :lol

That overly excited headbanging fan in the crowd is going to be me in Charlotte.

Someone record me and post it and you can all laugh at me but I really don't care. I always jam at concerts, Mark always gives me guitar picks too heh.
Can't wait dude. It's going to be a great freaking night
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Shea is the new Josiah

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jim wrote:Shea is the new Josiah
And you're still the same old Jim.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Andy92 wrote:This duet is pretty big because this cover has been absolutely huge for Disturbed. Their biggest hit next to Down With the Sickness probably. I thought they sounded great together, and I'm obviously game for anything that can help advertise Myles and AB.
That cover is even bigger than their old hits. They charted pretty high in Europe with it. 22 in the German single charts and even #1 in Austria. Sure, Austria is a small country, but still pretty impressive to land a number 1 song.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'd definitely agree it's at least their 2nd biggest hit, but it could very well be their biggest given that the song is accessible to a very large range of music fans.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Gingerella72 wrote:Thank you for the rundown! I'd love to hear more of your experience if you don't mind sharing. That's too bad that it's so quick, I've been wondering what on earth I was going to say to them that didn't sound trite but if it's that quick maybe I don't have to worry too much, lol. Did you get to hear the sound check too or was that done prior to the VIPs coming in? Do they let you take extra photos - not with the band, but just standing in line shooting various things?
PRS10Top wrote: Thanks for sharing. I wonder if it will be any different/more lenient with the headlining shows. I can see how they are on tighter timelines and such with three other bands playing. We will see.
Ok, here's the rundown. Of course, things could be a bit different from venue to venue, but I imagine the system is pretty similar.

All the VIPs for all bands were told to line up btw 3:30-4:00. All bands had already sound checked so we didn't hear any of that. I was hoping to hear if AB was practicing Show Me A Leader, but I don't know if they did. They made separate lines for each band and we went into the venue where they checked concert tickets and VIP tickets (AB had a list of all who bought VIP and checked IDs). After checking tickets, we got our swag bag with a Twilight lyric tour t-shirt (they'll ask your size), a pre-signed 18x24 poster, a VIP laminate, a sticker, and a metal box with 6 picks.

From there, we stood in line in one spot (overlooking the band entrance where I saw Mark and Garrett Whitlock and later Myles and various family members) for probably 20 minutes, then the line moved to another place and left us sitting on the front row bench of the venue for the next 20 minutes or so. They did specifically tell us we could not take pictures or even have our phone out while we were in front of the stage. No idea if that was a band issue or venue, but be prepared.

They set up a little photo area in front of a curtain on the far side of the stage and we went through one at a time and the photo took a couple pictures and we were ushered on our way. It was maybe 10-15 seconds per person. I purposely did a long handshake with each guy so I could at least say hello and thank them for coming to Colorado, and after the picture I stopped in front of them all to tell them I loved the album at the listening party and couldn't wait to hear it, so I stretched mine to probably 20 seconds as I replay the conversation right now. That's about all the time there was for meeting/talking. There was definitely no opportunity for other pictures or autographs.

All VIPs from each band were sent back outside the venue (but inside the gates) where the merch tents and food stands were open, so we got to shop and eat before the rest of the crowd came in. Then when gates opened, we went back in to our seats and waited for the show.

On one hand, it's a always a little bit of a letdown because I'd love to spend a few hours talking to the guys about the music and the tour and pick their minds about creating music and swap stories about kids and dogs and work and normal life stuff, and judging from previous encounters, I bet the guys would be happy to do that to. They're just such nice normal dudes. But I also understand that there is a lot of stuff to do on concert days and there are a lot of fans and media who want their time. Doing quickie VIP/photos is important to generate revenue to make a band viable, and I'm more than happy to support the band in any way I can.

If you want to try to find some time to have a longer conversation or get a more personal picture, you can try to meet the band at their bus after the show. They've always been very accessible at the bus after a show. Unfortunately security was shooing everyone away from the buses last night, so I didn't get to see them after. It's tough for a fan on a big tour like this. It will probably bit easier when they come back on their own headlining tour in smaller venues.

Anyway, my advice - definitely do the VIP. The swag is really nice. The photo is always cool. The air of self-importance as you look out the gate at the crowd who is wondering why you're already inside is gratifying ;) . Just don't expect any personal time, and know you're supporting the band the best way you can on this tour right now.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

As for the concert...it was awesome, but weird, and typically AB.

Red Rocks is one of those iconic music venues in the world. As opposed to other hallowed places like Wembley & Madison Square Garden, it is an amazing beautiful natural outdoor amphitheater. So it was such a thrill to know AB was going to play there. After the 2007 show at the tiny Fox Theater in Boulder, someone asked Flip by the bus where he'd want to play and he said he love to play Red Rocks. There's nothing like it. Ask Jim. It was always gorgeous. U2 made it legend. Time has made it iconic.

So it was with great anticipation by myself (and I presume by Alter Bridge too) that my favorite band in the world was playing at one of the greatest venues in the world. Red Rocks was at least 80% full when they went on so they had a big crowd to play for.

The set list:
Come To Life (sort of)
Farther Than The Sun
Ties That Bind
Isolation
Metalingus
Blackbird
Rise Today

There was something strange when AB went on stage. The venue PA was playing music during the set change and the crowd was just milling around and talking when I looked up at the stage and said, "Wait, isn't that Brian on stage? And Flip?" And it was. The band just walked out on stage without the venue lowering the PA music or playing any intro or turning on the stage lights or doing anything to announce the next set was beginning. I don't know who gave the cue for them to go on or whether the PA operator missed it but it was a very strange and underwhelming entrance.

Then it got weirder, lol. The band launched into Come To Life with Mark's familiar intro riff and the other 3 joining in. Myles went to the mike and shouted "Hey!!" and we heard almost nothing. There were no audible vocals for the first verse. Myles kind of figured it out and went to the mike on the right for the second verse but not long after that there was one of those electronic pops through the PA and then the guitars cut out I think right as Mark's solo started. The remaining instruments faded awkwardly over a few seconds and the band wandered off the stage while some roadies hurriedly scrambled around. After a minute, someone sound checked a working microphone to the crowd's delight and the band returned and went right into Father Than The Sun. After that, they sounded fantastic, though I think they looked kind of rushed or uncomfortable for the rest of the set, not really interacting with the crowd or looking as animated the way I'm used to seeing. The crowd seemed pretty responsive anyway. The first 10 rows (I was in row 2 - thank you Cissy!!!) was all Disturbed fans and they were pretty interested in Myles from the Sound of Silence video and seemed pretty engaged even if they didn't know the songs.

I generally agree with many who have said they shouldn't play Blackbird or the other long songs in such a short set, but I thought playing Blackbird in that venue last night was a perfect choice, if only for themselves. It's their epic and where better to play it? The crowd of course sat down during the intro thinking it's some ballad but most got back up pretty quickly and the performance was fantastic. Myles had a couple "fly aweees" that I didn't notice in real time but only heard on a short video I shot.

Overall, the sound was fantastic. I wish Myles had chatted up the crowd a bit more, but AB's performance was great. Myles sounded great. Mark shredded like none other. Brian and Flip were so tight. And by the way, Brian Marshall looks ripped. Dude is in such good shape. Glad to see him looking so good! I hope the band wasn't too disappointed by the tech issues because it had to be a bit of a gut punch to start that way because after that they played a great set and the Disturbed fans around me said they really liked it and were impressed with both Mark and Myles chops.

It's weird. AB has been a band for 12 years now. Had certain executive decisions been done differently and had they gotten any bit of luck along the way, maybe Alter Bridge would be headlining Red Rocks by now instead of opening for Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed. AB was easily the most talented band last night at every instrument, and only Saint Ansonia was more dynamic to watch on stage (singer Adam Gontier has such good stage presence). Mark did join Saint Asonia on stage for one of their songs and got a good ovation, but I was hoping the boys would get a higher profile cameo with the headliners in that venue to further generate some traction with the larger fanbases. I really wanted to love Breaking Benjamin but thought they were boring and weird. Disturbed was monotonous but had good pyro. I can't get past how Dave Draiman looks like Mussolini marching around on stage exhorting the fans to put their fists in the air. It's a bit disconcerting. I stayed hoping that he and Myles would do The Sound of Silence again but it was just Dave, this time with a string trio and a grand piano on stage.

I tried to wait by the buses to say hi to the boys and chat about the night but security was vigorously chasing everyone away. I also saw several family members earlier in the day so I didn't know if the guys would be up for greeting fans, so I headed off to my car, blasted Show Me A Leader on repeat with all windows open, and started fighting traffic to get out of the parking lots.

So the evening was bittersweet. My favorite band played an iconic venue and it was absolutely glorious. At the same time, it could and should have been so much more. Alter Bridge deserves a better slot with more time and better tech and production support (don't know if it was their own or the venue). Myles said playing there was a bucket list item for him. But I played acoustic guitar with Mike Peters from The Alarm on the upper patio last year. That's my pinnacle. Alter Bridge isn't close to their rightful pinnacle. They should headline that place. Hopefully their fortunes in the US market turn around and make that a possibility one day.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Great write ups, Greg. Kind of curious, what made you think Breaking Benjamin was weird? I saw them last year and thought they put on a good show at the time.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I second what Andy said.

---I saw AB live a couple years ago, and from I remember, yeah they are a really good band. The sound was great. The whole band was just very tight and precise.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Thanks for the review Greg! Crazy to hear about the technical issues -- sucks that they couldn't finish CTL either. At least they could follow it with an equally hard-hidding second (or really, first) song in FTTS.

Agreed -- these VIP experiences usually don't live up to our idealist expectations but they are still cool experiences nonetheless.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

I think I wet myself a little. Mark says that his show in Toronto back with his solo band was the best show of the entire NA tour. Compared the rock scene up in Canada to that of Europe in the sense that we accept more variety.

And finally... He is going to beg the boys for a full-fledged nationwide tour of Canada for TLH! Really seemed like he meant it, freaking hope it happens!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

dFhimz wrote:

I think I wet myself a little. Mark says that his show in Toronto back with his solo band was the best show of the entire NA tour. Compared the rock scene up in Canada to that of Europe in the sense that we accept more variety.

And finally... He is going to beg the boys for a full-fledged nationwide tour of Canada for TLH! Really seemed like he meant it, freaking hope it happens!
I would die if that happened!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
You haven't been here long enough to know anything about me
gbruin wrote:As for the concert...it was awesome, but weird, and typically AB.

Red Rocks is one of those iconic music venues in the world. As opposed to other hallowed places like Wembley & Madison Square Garden, it is an amazing beautiful natural outdoor amphitheater. So it was such a thrill to know AB was going to play there. After the 2007 show at the tiny Fox Theater in Boulder, someone asked Flip by the bus where he'd want to play and he said he love to play Red Rocks. There's nothing like it. Ask Jim. It was always gorgeous. U2 made it legend. Time has made it iconic.

So it was with great anticipation by myself (and I presume by Alter Bridge too) that my favorite band in the world was playing at one of the greatest venues in the world. Red Rocks was at least 80% full when they went on so they had a big crowd to play for.

The set list:
Come To Life (sort of)
Farther Than The Sun
Ties That Bind
Isolation
Metalingus
Blackbird
Rise Today

There was something strange when AB went on stage. The venue PA was playing music during the set change and the crowd was just milling around and talking when I looked up at the stage and said, "Wait, isn't that Brian on stage? And Flip?" And it was. The band just walked out on stage without the venue lowering the PA music or playing any intro or turning on the stage lights or doing anything to announce the next set was beginning. I don't know who gave the cue for them to go on or whether the PA operator missed it but it was a very strange and underwhelming entrance.

Then it got weirder, lol. The band launched into Come To Life with Mark's familiar intro riff and the other 3 joining in. Myles went to the mike and shouted "Hey!!" and we heard almost nothing. There were no audible vocals for the first verse. Myles kind of figured it out and went to the mike on the right for the second verse but not long after that there was one of those electronic pops through the PA and then the guitars cut out I think right as Mark's solo started. The remaining instruments faded awkwardly over a few seconds and the band wandered off the stage while some roadies hurriedly scrambled around. After a minute, someone sound checked a working microphone to the crowd's delight and the band returned and went right into Father Than The Sun. After that, they sounded fantastic, though I think they looked kind of rushed or uncomfortable for the rest of the set, not really interacting with the crowd or looking as animated the way I'm used to seeing. The crowd seemed pretty responsive anyway. The first 10 rows (I was in row 2 - thank you Cissy!!!) was all Disturbed fans and they were pretty interested in Myles from the Sound of Silence video and seemed pretty engaged even if they didn't know the songs.

I generally agree with many who have said they shouldn't play Blackbird or the other long songs in such a short set, but I thought playing Blackbird in that venue last night was a perfect choice, if only for themselves. It's their epic and where better to play it? The crowd of course sat down during the intro thinking it's some ballad but most got back up pretty quickly and the performance was fantastic. Myles had a couple "fly aweees" that I didn't notice in real time but only heard on a short video I shot.

Overall, the sound was fantastic. I wish Myles had chatted up the crowd a bit more, but AB's performance was great. Myles sounded great. Mark shredded like none other. Brian and Flip were so tight. And by the way, Brian Marshall looks ripped. Dude is in such good shape. Glad to see him looking so good! I hope the band wasn't too disappointed by the tech issues because it had to be a bit of a gut punch to start that way because after that they played a great set and the Disturbed fans around me said they really liked it and were impressed with both Mark and Myles chops.

It's weird. AB has been a band for 12 years now. Had certain executive decisions been done differently and had they gotten any bit of luck along the way, maybe Alter Bridge would be headlining Red Rocks by now instead of opening for Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed. AB was easily the most talented band last night at every instrument, and only Saint Ansonia was more dynamic to watch on stage (singer Adam Gontier has such good stage presence). Mark did join Saint Asonia on stage for one of their songs and got a good ovation, but I was hoping the boys would get a higher profile cameo with the headliners in that venue to further generate some traction with the larger fanbases. I really wanted to love Breaking Benjamin but thought they were boring and weird. Disturbed was monotonous but had good pyro. I can't get past how Dave Draiman looks like Mussolini marching around on stage exhorting the fans to put their fists in the air. It's a bit disconcerting. I stayed hoping that he and Myles would do The Sound of Silence again but it was just Dave, this time with a string trio and a grand piano on stage.

I tried to wait by the buses to say hi to the boys and chat about the night but security was vigorously chasing everyone away. I also saw several family members earlier in the day so I didn't know if the guys would be up for greeting fans, so I headed off to my car, blasted Show Me A Leader on repeat with all windows open, and started fighting traffic to get out of the parking lots.

So the evening was bittersweet. My favorite band played an iconic venue and it was absolutely glorious. At the same time, it could and should have been so much more. Alter Bridge deserves a better slot with more time and better tech and production support (don't know if it was their own or the venue). Myles said playing there was a bucket list item for him. But I played acoustic guitar with Mike Peters from The Alarm on the upper patio last year. That's my pinnacle. Alter Bridge isn't close to their rightful pinnacle. They should headline that place. Hopefully their fortunes in the US market turn around and make that a possibility one day.
G1 this was marvelous!!! I could literally breathe in the air up there as I read it. I miss you

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jim wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
You haven't been here long enough to know anything about me
Then you can't say I'm the new Josiah either if I haven't been on here long enough, because you don't know me.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Peace is Broken.. did it all yourself... with you and no one else tooooooo blame

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Greg- Just read your review. When AB was in MTL there was also something messed up with the first verse of Come to Life. I could barely hear Myles at all. I think it got better as the show went on although I can't remember anymore, everything was just so loud, from the band, to the fans, to my incessant screaming/singing.

All 4 bands played the festival and I also have to agree on the Saint Asonia comment. I was a big 3DG fan growing up but never saw them live, so it was a real treat to see how great Adam performs. What a stage presence.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Is Saint Asonia still playing the Staind song Mudshovel on their sets? They have Mike Mushok and played it for a while. Not sure if they still do.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Answers:

me: Tim wrote on FB that the audio problem at Red Rocks is that AB's board fried. Maybe there was a power surge to it or something? It worked during sound check and to start the show and then went pop. Ghosts in the machine, right? I read that Mark's guitar cut out last night in Albuquerque when he started the solo to Rise Today. Man, these guys have the worst luck!

Andy and cheesedip: It's hard to explain why I thought Breaking Benjamin was weird. The show just had very little flow or cohesiveness, I guess. They had these fog cannons that they used way too much and too arbitrarily. They were all over the place in the middle of songs and just seemed gratuitous and distracted from the music, but they turned them off with two songs left so they were nowhere in their finale. Ben Burley (the singer) would play drums at times but his kit was turned sideways in the back against the drum riser so it just looked out of place and he would kind of disappear. They did this weird Star Wars/nerd speech thing with a light saber and then a mashup of several songs including the Imperial March, Smells Like Teen Spirit (a song I totally hate), and an instrumental of Pantera's Walk. I really wanted to like their set but the entire show just never really connected or flowed for me. But it's just me. There were plenty of BB fans who seemed to love it, so it's just one opinion.

dFhimz: You're right. AB should absolutely do a Canada tour. I'd love to go see them there. It's such a great country and they clearly have a great fanbase there. That, however, should not exempt Shea from taking advantage of the chance to see AB in Seattle. You never know what will happen, Shea! Don't let the opportunity pass!

Jim: I miss you too, brother. It's been far too long. The tripod needs to reunite in Orlando for a show and some Harry Potter with the offspring.

austin.: Saint Asonia covered the 3DG songs Just Like You and I Hate Everything About You, but they didn't play any Staind songs at our show. I kinda like Staind. Would love to see those guys together again. Mike put on a really good performance, along with the rest of Saint Asonia. I'll have to listen to that band some more.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

They did this weird Star Wars/nerd speech thing with a light saber and then a mashup of several songs including the Imperial March, Smells Like Teen Spirit (a song I totally hate), and an instrumental of Pantera's Walk.
Yeah, they've been doing that a lot during their tours this year. They are such nerds regarding the Star Wars stuff, and I guess, in general, if you saw the Ashes of Eden video.