Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austin.
On The Rail

Re: Alter Bridge Summer Tour '16

Post by austin. »

Pm sent

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

So they played Come to Life, Farther Than The Sun, Isolation, Addicted to Pain, Metallingus, and Rise Today. The crowd was so fucking dead, and the sound was muffled as hell. I felt bad for them man. They tried to get people to sing that pause in the last chorus for Isolation, and nothing but crickets. Myles literally said at one point "PLEASE tell me you guys are having a good time".

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Welp. I guess after this opening tour then, they should just go back to being a band with a cult following and play in front of those people more as oppose to an band that creates relatively "unconventional" songs and try to get a mainstream crowd (like festivals, opening in arenas/amphitheaters) to like them.

I still feel like this is karma to us somehow.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:So they played Come to Life, Farther Than The Sun, Isolation, Addicted to Pain, Metallingus, and Rise Today. The crowd was so fucking dead, and the sound was muffled as hell. I felt bad for them man. They tried to get people to sing that pause in the last chorus for Isolation, and nothing but crickets. Myles literally said at one point "PLEASE tell me you guys are having a good time".
Aw man, that makes me feel terrible! Feel so sorry for the band :(

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

That's okay.

They're headlining Charlotte and us East Coasters sure will sing to the band.

So damn excited.
Last edited by austin. on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

It was kinda funny how they came out though, Myles playfully said "What's up fuckers?" Lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:It was kinda funny how they came out though, Myles playfully said "What's up fuckers?" Lol
:lol wow Myles.

Where's all the videos of this concert?!

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:It was kinda funny how they came out though, Myles playfully said "What's up fuckers?" Lol

I was going to take some, but the sound was seriously shit. You couldn't tell what anyone was singing and the guitars we just a mesh of noise 90% of the time.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Since I knew what to listen for, I could tell what was going on. Sound issues aside, they played great.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:

I was going to take some, but the sound was seriously shit. You couldn't tell what anyone was singing and the guitars we just a mesh of noise 90% of the time.
eh sounds like an AB concert to me

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

This was my 3rd AB concert, and this was the only one to sound like this. The one I seen on the Fortress tour sounded amazing.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Seeing them for the third time in my life at their headliner in Portland. Not sure it can possibly top my experience in Spokane (2014) of hanging out with Mark getting to watch the show sidestage, but what possibly could top that?

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:So they played Come to Life, Farther Than The Sun, Isolation, Addicted to Pain, Metallingus, and Rise Today. The crowd was so fucking dead, and the sound was muffled as hell. I felt bad for them man. They tried to get people to sing that pause in the last chorus for Isolation, and nothing but crickets. Myles literally said at one point "PLEASE tell me you guys are having a good time".
Perhaps even with good sound, perhaps the setlist choices could be better?

???

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ They are pretty much limited with what they can do with their setlist when they are opening. If crowds are not reacting well to Isolation, Addicted to Pain, Metalingus (the high-energy songs that have become more of their calling card to present to a mainstream perspective). What chance do the crowds react well to longer songs like Blackbird, Fortress, Cry of Achilles, or the more obscurer tracks from AB III and ODR?

Heck, even if crowds are not reacting well to the songs that they may know, would they react well to the new single, Show Me A Leader? I guess that could be a reason why they have not played it yet. No point playing a new track to a crowd that just does not care for them. However, if they do not play it at their Portland headlining show, it could be problem.

Personally, I don't think the dead crowds has anything to do with the songs AB picks. AB is presenting themselves in the way I expect them to and the way I feel they should have in an environment like this and if the crowds are dead for them, then it's just a clear indication that crowds are not just feeling what AB, as a whole, is presenting which sucks, because I feel like they are presenting themselves as well as they can be in the way I expect AB in 2016 to be.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

I'm not particularly surprised about dead crowds either. Alter Bridge's music is very different from what bands like Breaking Benjamin (which I also like, by the way) do. It's way more complex and demanding listening to, even though I wouldn't exactly describe it as progressive. Still, I can very well imagine the standard Breaking Benjamin fan who's used to relatively simple melodies and riffs to be a bit overwhelmed by what Alter Bridge have to offer. Add to that the fact that people tend to not freak out for opening bands, especially when they don't know them that good, and you've got a pretty much non-existent crowd reaction. I'm pretty sure they expected that because they've got a lot of live experience, but I also think that it's horrible for a band to play in front of near silence.

Concerning the sound... I've been to about seven AB concerts in Germany since 2010, and I have yet to experience a gig where I don't have any problems hearing either Myles' voice, Mark's voice, Myles' guitar or Mark's guitar. It's always the same, either the voices are way too quiet and I'm having a very hard time even hearing the vocals or it's either Myles' or Mark's guitar that's practically non-existent. I don't really know why it is that way because the guys at the venues should have enough experience and they're doing soundchecks and all that stuff, but well... I'm not expecting it to change.

EDIT: It's HORRIBLE if you don't hear Myles' part of the Blackbird solo because his guitar is so damn silent. :no

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:

eh sounds like an AB concert to me

Do you not like AB?I can't remember a single positive thing you have said about the band

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Hey, I'm the negative one around here ! ;)

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

anguyen92 wrote:Heck, even if crowds are not reacting well to the songs that they may know, would they react well to the new single, Show Me A Leader?
For this reason alone I hope they hold off on playing it until one of their headlining shows.
Blackbird wrote:Concerning the sound... I've been to about seven AB concerts in Germany since 2010, and I have yet to experience a gig where I don't have any problems hearing either Myles' voice, Mark's voice, Myles' guitar or Mark's guitar. It's always the same, either the voices are way too quiet and I'm having a very hard time even hearing the vocals or it's either Myles' or Mark's guitar that's practically non-existent. I don't really know why it is that way because the guys at the venues should have enough experience and they're doing soundchecks and all that stuff, but well... I'm not expecting it to change.
Do you typically get a spot on (or close to) the rail? I think one of the downsides to being up front is that you get blasted by amps. Since the PA speakers are typically overhead -- pointing out at the crowd -- you barely hear the vocals over whatever amps are in front of you.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

But still... They have the chance to promote the song and the upcoming album for thousands of people a night. Why wouldn't they do that? Who cares about the crowd reaction? At least they'll be able to perform it better when they play for a good crowd.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

One Drew Remains wrote:I see Myles is back to singing "break my fn heart" in Ghost.
I'm sure he'll be singing "breek my feeking heet" soon enough. #timewillonlyteel