Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AHart96
Rise Today

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by AHart96 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:I'll be checking here every day for the hope of a single. C'mon AB, be my hero.
No point in checking until the second week of August.
What a guy. So optimistic, how adorable
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AHart96 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:I'll be checking here every day for the hope of a single. C'mon AB, be my hero.
Canadians, these days...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
AHart96 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Canadians, these days...
Just being a realist. Because that's what AB did with Fortress & ATP.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Addicted To Pain leaked. As soon as it leaked the band released the song to the public.

Something similar could happen here. Not saying I want it to leak early though (really not trying to start a discusion here).
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Addicted To Pain leaked. As soon as it leaked the band released the song to the public.

Something similar could happen here. Not saying I want it to leak early though (really not trying to start a discusion here).
Im pretty sure that was their plan and that's why it leaked before they released it, because they always planned to release it when they did.

And anything before the 2nd week of August would seem pretty early to me. So I'd be surprised.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't see why it can't happen two weeks earlier, especially considering they're done with the mixing and mastering way earlier this time.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:I don't see why it can't happen two weeks earlier, especially considering they're done with the mixing and mastering way earlier this time.
I suppose there's that. But we'll see what happens. You can't really even judge single releases based off of previous album single dates can you? Like for BB and AB3?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, every album release is different. I guess comparing it to Fortress makes sense, but going way back is kinda pointless.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Isolation was released on September 5th, as far as I recall, and the album on October 8th. So the wait could be a bit longer...
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Yea, every album release is different. I guess comparing it to Fortress makes sense, but going way back is kinda pointless.
Well Fortress and TLH both have the same October release date so...yeah...I hope I'm wrong and it's earlier though! :)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I'm hoping we get a single within the next month, and then a second release two weeks before the album stream (assuming there will be one).

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Was wondering the same about when we would get a single... and more importantly, what will we get? A digital download? Physical CD release, a music video...?? so many questions. :)

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

abw1987 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Would you say The Last Hero was more of an appropriate closer? Sounds similar to Fortress in style from the reviews, and I can't imagine anything but Fortress closing that album as successfully. Don't want another song just tacked on the end.
Honestly I'm not sure I could answer that without hearing the album a few more times. From what I can remember, "The Last Hero" is similar in structure to "Fortress" and provides a similarly powerful ending. "Last of Our Kind" is awesome, and will surely be missed if it truly is a b-side, but I'm not sure it's necessarily essential for it to immediately follow "The Last Hero". Maybe it even works best as a prologue.
I'd just like to add my own insight on this. Which may not even be correct. But I spoke to someone who went to the listening party at the Grand Rapids show and he claims that he spoke to people who said all of the tracks featured at the listening party would make the final album. Whether or not the tracks get arranged remains to be seen. So who knows.

On another note, he also mentioned that they said the single wouldn't be released until September.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Lenishere wrote:
abw1987 wrote:
Ubik wrote:Would you say The Last Hero was more of an appropriate closer? Sounds similar to Fortress in style from the reviews, and I can't imagine anything but Fortress closing that album as successfully. Don't want another song just tacked on the end.
Honestly I'm not sure I could answer that without hearing the album a few more times. From what I can remember, "The Last Hero" is similar in structure to "Fortress" and provides a similarly powerful ending. "Last of Our Kind" is awesome, and will surely be missed if it truly is a b-side, but I'm not sure it's necessarily essential for it to immediately follow "The Last Hero". Maybe it even works best as a prologue.
I'd just like to add my own insight on this. Which may not even be correct. But I spoke to someone who went to the listening party at the Grand Rapids show and he claims that he spoke to people who said all of the tracks featured at the listening party would make the final album. Whether or not the tracks get arranged remains to be seen. So who knows.

On another note, he also mentioned that they said the single wouldn't be released until September.
September seems waaaaay late. I mean the album comes out very early October. I'm thinking early to mid August. Of course, what do I know? Just seems most logical. Time to digest and build hype for the album.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Whatever they do for a closer will be fine. There isn't a closer on any of the four previous albums that doesn't fit.

On the singles note... anyone want to make any uneducated guesses on what the single may be, based on our LP notes?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Based on recent history, I'd say Track #2.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Whatever they do for a closer will be fine. There isn't a closer on any of the four previous albums that doesn't fit.

On the singles note... anyone want to make any uneducated guesses on what the single may be, based on our LP notes?
That's what's most important, album wise. Idk if I heard it from AB, but I've heard that the opening and closer is the most important for an album. Start it strong and end it strong. I'm pretty confident in that aspect though, they haven't failed to disappoint so far.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

They've been starting and ending strongly. That's one of their stronger points, among many. The End Is Here, Wayward One, Words Darker Than Their Wings, and Fortress are all really really the stronger songs of the album and great closers. The openers. Hard to say. I would think Slip To the Void and Cry of Achilles is a great way to start the album with their soft build-up into the heavy parts. Ties That Bind is another good starter as well, in terms of wanting to set a tone of what they want to accomplish which is to set their own identity as Alter Bridge. I don't know if I want to say Find The Real is a "tremendous opener" though it is hard to tell what could have been a great opener for ODR.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

AB have always made great choices for opening and closing tracks. Every album finishes as strong as it begins.

As far as which song could be the single based on the listener notes, I'd probably go with the title track, but that might be too epic and not radio-friendly enough. If that's the case, maybe Show Me A Leader since others were saying it kind of sets the tone for the rest of the album. Then shortly after that, I predict we'll get a military tribute video for You Will Be Remembered.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:I don't see why it can't happen two weeks earlier, especially considering they're done with the mixing and mastering way earlier this time.
Can anyone explain why it can't happen in 2 weeks from today? Wouldn't it make sense to have a new single to push while they are out on this amphitheater tour?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die