Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by cheesedip1 »

MylesKennedyIsGod wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I finally watched all of the "Behind the song" videos, and I'm really surprised that both Myles and Mark thought that Poison In Your Veins was going to be their first single. Not only that, but Myles worked very hard apparently to make it as "single-friendly" in the chorus as possible, and the song is just so... monotonous. Apparently I don't see that they see in the song.
Totally agree man. Poison is probably the worst song they've ever done. It's so bland. No offense.
You're entitled to your own opinion, of course. But you're wrong. That chorus melody is a thing to treasure forevermore (see what i did there?)
I still think it's pretty average at best. I'd listen to "we dont care at All" any day before Poison.

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

cheesedip1 wrote:
MylesKennedyIsGod wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I finally watched all of the "Behind the song" videos, and I'm really surprised that both Myles and Mark thought that Poison In Your Veins was going to be their first single. Not only that, but Myles worked very hard apparently to make it as "single-friendly" in the chorus as possible, and the song is just so... monotonous. Apparently I don't see that they see in the song.
Totally agree man. Poison is probably the worst song they've ever done. It's so bland. No offense.
You're entitled to your own opinion, of course. But you're wrong. That chorus melody is a thing to treasure forevermore (see what i did there?)
I still think it's pretty average at best. I'd listen to "we dont care at All" any day before Poison.
I'm sorry, but if you're not a troll then you're deaf...I can see you (or anyone else) arguing its an average song. I get it. I don't see it that way whatsoever, but 'the worst' in AB's catalog? LULZ
Thanks DonHarry!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Opinions are opinions........
Thanks Timo!

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

austinjhnsn wrote:Opinions are opinions........
Very true. I shouldn't be so snobbish considering I mostly post around the times AB/Tremonti/SMKC albums are released. But I really do like Poison. And not a big fan of WDCAA. But we can't deny we all love AB--thats all that matters forevermore
Thanks DonHarry!

Lotha
Colloquial

triggered

Post by Lotha »

MylesKennedyIsGod wrote: we can't deny
whyyyyyyyyyyy :lol
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

MylesKennedyIsGod wrote: But we can't deny we all love AB--thats all that matters forevermore
I see what you did there... :humina

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

In other news.....MY CD HAS ARRIVED!!!! OMG, Amazon delivered a day early!!!! The downside? I gotta get through the whole day at work until I can hear it. AAARGHHHHHH!!!

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

MylesKennedyIsGod wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
MylesKennedyIsGod wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
I'm sorry, but if you're not a troll then you're deaf...I can see you (or anyone else) arguing its an average song. I get it. I don't see it that way whatsoever, but 'the worst' in AB's catalog? LULZ
I have to say I do not understand the hate PIYV is getting either. I loved from the moment that pinch drops everything in. Granted it is not one of their best songs, but no where near the worst either. For me personally, that "honour" goes to One By One. Such a bland boring song imo.

Out of interest, what are other best and worst from the boys? Already covered my worst. My fave is Down To My Last. So simple yet so fucking beautiful.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Poor One By One :(. Never understood the hate. It would probably be in my top 10 AB tracks.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

One Drew Remains wrote:I wonder how many of us have actually listened to AB since day one. I can remember going to Walmart on my 30 minute lunch break that day in August '04 and instantly falling in love with Metalingus before having to go back to work.
This guy has! I don't remember exactly when i bought ODR but I heard Open Your Eyes on the radio and that prompted me to go out and buy it. I really liked Alter Bridge then but they didn't quite reach that elite, life-changing-band status until Blackbird came out!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

WaywardOne wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:I wonder how many of us have actually listened to AB since day one. I can remember going to Walmart on my 30 minute lunch break that day in August '04 and instantly falling in love with Metalingus before having to go back to work.
This guy has! I don't remember exactly when i bought ODR but I heard Open Your Eyes on the radio and that prompted me to go out and buy it. I really liked Alter Bridge then but they didn't quite reach that elite, life-changing-band status until Blackbird came out!
Heard 'The End is Here' in late '04. Love ODR to pieces and very happy with the direction AB has taken. Fortress was the shit, great album.

The main thing I miss is the live shows from 04 - 08. Greatest live band ever back then.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

WaywardOne wrote:
I'm from day one as well. I can't remember exactly where I bought the album, but when I found out that 3 of the 4 members of my favorite band at the time were starting a new band and releasing an album I was eagerly counting down the days to the CD release. I still absolutely love the ODR album, even if I don't think it's the holy grail like some people on this board...I very much prefer the direction they took since then and prefer Elvis' production (overall), though I definitely do miss Mark's clean tones.

That being said, the 60 second preview of Breathe sounds INCREDIBLE and hope the rest of the song lives up to that. Just based on the preview, I can't believe that the song was a B-Side.

Apparently, assuming my local post office doesn't screw up (they frequently do, unfortunately), I should have the album when I get home today based on my updated tracking info from Best Buy. :rockon

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Just watching a vid on a news site and the advert beforehand was for The Last Hero! No doubt due to my youtube history but even so, cool.
For all of the hope that it brings...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Crumbso wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:
Heard 'The End is Here' in late '04. Love ODR to pieces and very happy with the direction AB has taken. Fortress was the shit, great album.

The main thing I miss is the live shows from 04 - 08. Greatest live band ever back then.
I almost died a little on the inside when I misread that as "Fortress was shit" :lol

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

antiwal wrote:In other news.....MY CD HAS ARRIVED!!!! OMG, Amazon delivered a day early!!!! The downside? I gotta get through the whole day at work until I can hear it. AAARGHHHHHH!!!
There are always ways of "leaving early," my friend...

:D

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Just got my vinyl! :) Too bad I don't have anything to play it with haha! Will have to wait till tomorrow for the iTunes version.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Will I get an email or something with my copy of The Last Hero free via my ticket purchases?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

austin. wrote:Will I get an email or something with my copy of The Last Hero free via my ticket purchases?
I would think so. When I bought the album/t-shirt bundle I got a link to download SMAL and MC. I bet a similar link will be distributed on release day.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

antiwal wrote:Poor One By One :(. Never understood the hate. It would probably be in my top 10 AB tracks.
Fantastic song. That bridge is one of the standout moments on the entire album, and the chorus harmonies were the first time I realized Tremonti was a good singer.

Their worst has to be All Ends Well. Nickelback-tier lyrics, Lars Ulrich-tier drumming, and just a bit all round cringe-worthy, with a feeling of going back to the Life Must Go On well with decidedly diminishing returns (My Champion is very much in the same category but with better drumming, still makes the bottom five).

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Crumbso wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:

Did Mr. Phillips drum properly during this period?

I remember him being absolutely awful on the Amsterdam DVD and pretty much every live vid I watched around the Blackbird tour, and my first time seeing them in person (Carnival of Madness 2011) cemented it. Consistently ruining the songs and Myles's vocals by playing at 3x tempo for whatever reason (I'm sure he had a good one, just can't quite figure it out).

He sorted it out on the Fortress tour, which coincidentally is the best they've ever sounded in my book.