Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Quite frankly, it's probably for the best if Poison In Your Veins was not the lead single. Imagine the shock, if the first AB song we heard in three years had that chorus, and people will be going "OMG, AB is going all sleaze and stuff and Myles is sounding like he would sound in Slash." I know I probably would react that way.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The reaction to SMAL was: "Uuugh, this sounds like a Slash song" and "Uuugh, same old", so I don't think it would've made that much of a difference.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Whose reaction was that?

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

It was one of their worst sounding songs live. If they played it now, it'd be different. But back then, it was when Flip played way too fast and Myles sounded whiny. Not a lot of good live performances of the song.
I always liked the LFA version. Everything was faster than it should have been but I thought Myles' vocals were on point. LFA's version of BB is also my favourite performance of that song ever.
Shed My Skin means alot to me, probably more so than any other AB song other than Blackbird.
SMS, again one of my all time favourites. There was a great performance of this on youtube somewhere, haven't seen it for years but it was in the early early days. Someone will probably know it, it's the one where Myles gets so into it he starts wrapping the microphone lead around himself haha.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Jim wrote:Whose reaction was that?
People on Youtube and Facebook.

I'll correct myself: those were the negative reactions, but those were pretty dominant when the song was released.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yeah, especially before the full version with the intro was released. Good on them for realizing the edit was really sending the wrong message and getting the full version out asap. That reassured a lot of fans.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Just wanted to point out this glaring mistake in you "Show Me A Leader" review. You say of the intro "This opening salvo is layered with the tortuous bends of Mark's lead guitar", but it is Myles playing the lead for this. As is evident from not only the video but also live performances of the song. And here I thought you guys were fans...............
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

The Plotblocker wrote: And here I thought you guys were fans...............
lolzy
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's an honest mistake. With Myles continuing to have a more prominent role in terms of playing lead guitar in AB, for me, it's getting a lot harder to distinguish which lead parts is Mark or Myles. Does that make me less of a fan? Probably, I don't know. I say no. Back when I heard Fortress (the song) the first time, I thought the order of the big solos was Myles/Mark/Myles/Mark until I watched a video of them playing it live the first time and thought the opposite.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Half the time I can't tell the difference in leads.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: We're hired stooges just to make it look like AB has fan

Post by gbruin »

Lotha wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote: And here I thought you guys were fans...............
lolzy
I guess our secret is out.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

They sometimes play each other's leads so the problem deteriorates...
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

I can still tell the difference tbh. Myles has a different tone and style to Mark. But the again the biggest give away with the SMTL intro lead is the video and live performances where you clearly see Myles playing said lead part.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

When they solo the difference is usually pretty clear, and Myles tends to do the atmospheric trilling and whatnot in the background, but as errors go it's fairly innocuous. Justice for TABN.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I know everyone keeps hearing AC/DC at the start of My Champion, but am I the only one who hears The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again?

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

album spoilers
Last edited by Jim on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: members are not permitted to discuss album contents, discovered from illegally acquired copies

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Honestly, Poison in Your Veins is a pretty average song. I'm like you guys, I'd prefer AB to release songs I could just slobber all over, but not this one. My Champion is just an all around better song to me. I know it's not dynamic or dark or weird or anything like that, but sometimes a good song is just a good song.

I'm really not digging what I've heard from Show Me a Leader and Poison. Lyrically and musically. I don't feel good about this album. Myles' lyrics are overly demanding and, at times, kind of condescending. From his lyrics, I tend to gather: Do this and do that and agree with me otherwise you're the dirt between my toes. Additionally, I tend to hear some phrases recycled. Nothing big, but things like "in time..." I don't know how many times I've heard that in AB. Also, "right now..." is another one. That one particularly gets on my nerves a bit because, to me, it almost defies logic. The moment you say "right now", that moment is gone. To put it more lightly, when I hear "right now", I think 'does he want me to go back in time to when he first said this because that would technically be 'right now'. As soon as you say "right now", it's in the past. Perhaps that is reading into it too much, but it's just a thought.

I have a feeling that Mark and maybe Myles are just drained musically, and that would be totally understandable. I mean, Mark just hashed out and released 20 songs in less than a year. I think it is at the very least possible for the musical juices to be somewhat dry.

I love all of the different projects and such, but any time in history that Mark has been devoted to ONE singular band, he has musically thrived both with Alter Bridge and every one knows about Creed.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Appreciate you typing all of that out, I can assure you that things you're worried about; are not things to worry about on this record

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I really like the lyrics in your sig Jim.
Thanks Timo!

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Troops4Tremonti wrote:Honestly, Poison in Your Veins is a pretty average song. I'm like you guys, I'd prefer AB to release songs I could just slobber all over, but not this one. My Champion is just an all around better song to me. I know it's not dynamic or dark or weird or anything like that, but sometimes a good song is just a good song.

I'm really not digging what I've heard from Show Me a Leader and Poison. Lyrically and musically. I don't feel good about this album. Myles' lyrics are overly demanding and, at times, kind of condescending. From his lyrics, I tend to gather: Do this and do that and agree with me otherwise you're the dirt between my toes. Additionally, I tend to hear some phrases recycled. Nothing big, but things like "in time..." I don't know how many times I've heard that in AB. Also, "right now..." is another one. That one particularly gets on my nerves a bit because, to me, it almost defies logic. The moment you say "right now", that moment is gone. To put it more lightly, when I hear "right now", I think 'does he want me to go back in time to when he first said this because that would technically be 'right now'. As soon as you say "right now", it's in the past. Perhaps that is reading into it too much, but it's just a thought.

I have a feeling that Mark and maybe Myles are just drained musically, and that would be totally understandable. I mean, Mark just hashed out and released 20 songs in less than a year. I think it is at the very least possible for the musical juices to be somewhat dry.

I love all of the different projects and such, but any time in history that Mark has been devoted to ONE singular band, he has musically thrived both with Alter Bridge and every one knows about Creed.

Just wait until you hear The Other Side.... and you'll totally change the way you feel. I agree. Show me a leader and champion were kind of mainstream softballs. I like Poison. it's a very AB type of single/song. From all that I've read, there are some studs on this album... just wait until you hear it and you'll be fine.

The Other Side may be my favorite AB song since the Blackbird album..

I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this.... the song was released over seas.