Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by Vaux »

antiwal wrote:How about this? Haha....

The head looks like that new ugly PRS Mark has been using.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Jim wrote:For someone who spent $250 to be there; you seem awfully disappointed

Not true! Its a heavy record. After a few songs they felt blended it together. I'm gonna be honest in my review. I won't say every song was the best for the sake of saying that. Its a great record I'm sure. Going to take at least a dozen listens to take it all in and really nitpick.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I can imagine that the first listen can be underwhelming in a situation like that. I remember really liking Fortress on my first listen (mainly because I could control the volume knob and there were no distractions, lol), but it took me a bunch of listens to appreciate the title track and songs like Bleed It Dry and Lover, which are now all favorites from that album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

nm
Last edited by Vaux on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Timotheus wrote:I can imagine that the first listen can be underwhelming in a situation like that. I remember really liking Fortress on my first listen (mainly because I could control the volume knob and there were no distractions, lol), but it took me a bunch of listens to appreciate the title track and songs like Bleed It Dry and Lover, which are now all favorites from that album.
Yeah, it sounds like the first listen syndrome, some tracks tend to grow on people.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I think this record is there best. This album has a theme.

This album tells a story. I think this really catapults AB.

*** Heard whispers of a MAJOR US tour next year***

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

What does major tour mean? Lots of cities, or with a major band?

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Wasn't told specifics. Just about it being huge.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

yuuuuge

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Vaux wrote:What does major tour mean? Lots of cities, or with a major band?
they should headline.. they are a headline kinda band..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Agreed. I love it when it's just a headliner with a single opening band. More time to play.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Mr. Slash wrote:
AllC392Was wrote: Right now I'm gonna give it a 6/10... It was just way to much detail at once and there wasn't a song that made me say holy shit! So.. I'm sure it'll be my favorite album at some point but I wasn't wowed.
:(

btw, why are they trying to write epic songs, when they fail with it? Fortress felt already pretty forced to me, now you say that the upcoming album has a lame epic song aswell.
I feel 100% the opposite of this. Alter Bridge writes exactly the type of "epic" songs that I want to hear. They far from "fail with it" in my opinion.
axlar wrote:
Vaux wrote:What does major tour mean? Lots of cities, or with a major band?
they should headline.. they are a headline kinda band..
As much as I would love a headlining tour in the U.S., I'm not quite sure that they realistically have enough of a following here for that.
Last edited by VigilantSteve on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

I have never absolutely loved an Alter Bridge album on the first listen. It always grows on me and then I can't stop listening. My favorites keep on changing from one song to the other and after a few months or so I start getting a little bored by the music. Whole album sessions start becoming less likely and I start subtracting the songs from the playlist to just those which I enjoy the most. I guess it is the same with most of us?

BTW, Mark himself said in the Q&A that this album will take time to settle with the fans. We probably won't like it immediately.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

SamarthJoshi wrote:I have never absolutely loved an Alter Bridge album on the first listen. It always grows on me and then I can't stop listening. My favorites keep on changing from one song to the other and after a few months or so I start getting a little bored by the music. Whole album sessions start becoming less likely and I start subtracting the songs from the playlist to just those which I enjoy the most. I guess it is the same with most of us?

BTW, Mark himself said in the Q&A that this album will take time to settle with the fans. We probably won't like it immediately.
Same for me! I began to listen to AB after Blackbird got released, and I needed to listen to that very song quite a few times before I realised that it's the best song in history. ^^ Also, I was disappointed by both ABIII and Fortress when I first listened to them, and I think that's because their music is more complex than what most other rock/metal bands I know are doing. After a few playthroughs, I started to absolutely love both albums.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

I'm really surprised to hear that they're not including a ballad this time around. For me it adds dynamics, I don't know how I feel about a completely hard metal record. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hard stuff but I like to have a break so to speak somewhere in the album. As long as we have some songs with some acoustic guitar featured somewhere in them I'll be happy. Other than that I guess I'll just continue sitting back and waiting for the album to drop, as far as the album artwork is concerned in my opinion it is different, so different in fact that it looks weird to me but that's most likely because it's new and it was something that I was not expecting at all. At the end of the day I just wish them success

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

AllC392Was wrote:Wasn't told specifics. Just about it being huge.

I could honestly see them open for GNR. We all know the GNR train isn't going to stop with how well this reunion has been received. I saw them in KC last week and it was one hell of a show. I could see Slash paying the boys a favor for stealing their singer the last 5 years and let them open for them. Now, would Axl like that? Who knows. But I could see it being something like this. That would put AB in front of some massive crowds and anyone who loves slash knows who Myles is... it's a perfect fit, egos aside

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Within the last couple weeks, I have listened to Fortress a few times, but I've skipped All Ends Well every time. Decent enough song, but that type of ballad is too standard with AB. I like what I'm hearing about their approach with this record.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Within the last couple weeks, I have listened to Fortress a few times, but I've skipped All Ends Well every time. Decent enough song, but that type of ballad is too standard with AB. I like what I'm hearing about their approach with this record.
I do pretty much the same thing with All Ends Well probably 90% of the time that I listen to Fortress. It is a really good song on its own, but it feels out of place on the album overall.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Agreed. I love it when it's just a headliner with a single opening band. More time to play.
Better yet, can't they just get no opening band and play for over 2.5 hours? Gives them options to play a lot more songs and really dive deep into catalog.

As much as everyone really likes to moan that AB is not as popular in the states as much as the bigger active rock bands (Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, FFDP, etc.), I, for one, actually enjoy where they are at in the states, as long as they play more headlining shows. Unlike the UK tour, when AB headlines in the states, no one is really going just for the opening bands. Everyone in the crowd knows AB, knows the songs, and tickets are more attainable and cheaper than a Europe show. The upside of being a niche band in the states.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

You can't base anything on the first listen at the listening party, not the right surroundings at all! Wait until the cd version comes out and take it all in