Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by Ubik »

I worry that I'm going to be subconsciously comparing The Last Hero to The Last Baron when I hear it, a comparison that's very hard to come out well from.

Also seems again that the song titles themselves show a kind of narrative on their own. Can almost put act breaks in between them.
For all of the hope that it brings...

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Jim wrote:
Ryan wrote:Reminds me of the video for Cry of Achilles lol
Yeah don't remind us
What was wrong with the Cry of Achilles vid? I thought it was pretty badass. Much more interesting than the typical copy-pasta concert footage.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

it made 0 sense, for one.

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Ubik wrote:I worry that I'm going to be subconsciously comparing The Last Hero to The Last Baron when I hear it, a comparison that's very hard to come out well from.

Also seems again that the song titles themselves show a kind of narrative on their own. Can almost put act breaks in between them.
I'd be fine with it being a concept album as long as it's better than ABIII. The album was good, but not up to AB's standards. Listening to AB's entire discography, it's pretty easy to skip 70% of that album to listen to something from another album.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:it made 0 sense, for one.
Yeah, it made no sense. That stated, maybe AB can do something cool with the hero theme with the budget that Napalm Records put into their big bands' videos. Lots of the footage of the band being lost in the woods and loads of CGI effects and other weird stuff.

That would be nice. Could snag a couple million views on Youtube (Addicted to Pain's music video surprisingly has 4 million views on Youtube and it is just them playing with some black and white stock footage of people going in pain).

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I think AB should stick to videos like they did for the first two albums excluding Broken Wings. Open Your Eyes is probably my favorite video and I don't even get it.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

DeadCell wrote:
Ubik wrote:I worry that I'm going to be subconsciously comparing The Last Hero to The Last Baron when I hear it, a comparison that's very hard to come out well from.

I'd be fine with it being a concept album as long as it's better than ABIII. The album was good, but not up to AB's standards. Listening to AB's entire discography, it's pretty easy to skip 70% of that album to listen to something from another album.
It's pretty interesting how far opinions can differ between fans of the same band. To me, ABIII is still their best album because it does NOT have filler songs for me, other than Fortress (I always skip Farther Than The Sun and often skip The Uninvited and Cry A River), maybe except for Breathe Again (which, to me, is a worse Before Tomorrow Comes). I'd say that quality-wise, Fortress is better, but as an album, ABIII is my favourite Alter Bridge tune so far. But I'm also a huge fan of Show Me A Sign, which seems to be one of the least favourite songs of most Alter Bridge fans.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB23 wrote:Any more notes about the LP from anyone?
Hopefully. But I don't know who else is still away that would come back with some notes.

Is it just me or was Tremont 2's Listening Party more talked about after? And people like abw and Tacos actually took great notes. Now it doesnt seem the case.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

People just need to get home and sleep first.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Pretty sweet album art. The arrows and face remind me a lot of the movie "300"

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

well jeez they've been home (or at the very least back to their hotel) for the better part of 16-17 hours now

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Do you think "Last of our kind" might be a continuation of "The Last Hero"? Something like "Wings for Marie" and "10000 Days" by Tool?

Pretty weird having 2 "Lasts" together in the end.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Maybe Last Of Our Kind is a bonus track? Did they confirm that all the songs would be on the album?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

:P

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB23 wrote:Any more notes about the LP from anyone?
Hopefully. But I don't know who else is still away that would come back with some notes.

Is it just me or was Tremont 2's Listening Party more talked about after? And people like abw and Tacos actually took great notes. Now it doesnt seem the case.
Thx bro! Greg said Ashley would probably do a song by song write up later. Hoping for something like what ABW and I did.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: deep breaths

Post by zazthespaz »

Ashley had a book of notes. Alex did too, said he'd type them up on the plane so calm yoself Shea.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

They hate us cuz they anus.

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Blackbird wrote:
DeadCell wrote:

It's pretty interesting how far opinions can differ between fans of the same band. To me, ABIII is still their best album because it does NOT have filler songs for me, other than Fortress (I always skip Farther Than The Sun and often skip The Uninvited and Cry A River), maybe except for Breathe Again (which, to me, is a worse Before Tomorrow Comes). I'd say that quality-wise, Fortress is better, but as an album, ABIII is my favourite Alter Bridge tune so far. But I'm also a huge fan of Show Me A Sign, which seems to be one of the least favourite songs of most Alter Bridge fans.
The Uninvited had so much potential.... then that chorus happened.

Also, I really like Show Me A Sign.

On ABIII, I skip everything but:
- Show Me A Sign
- Ghosts of Days Gone By
- Words Darker Than Their Wings
- Slip To The Void (sometimes I skip this)
- All Hope Is Gone

And you read right, I skip Isolation. Pretty much their worst single yet, imo. Not that it's a bad song, but it just wears out really quick.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

DeadCell wrote:
Blackbird wrote:
DeadCell wrote:

The Uninvited had so much potential.... then that chorus happened.

Also, I really like Show Me A Sign.

On ABIII, I skip everything but:
- Show Me A Sign
- Ghosts of Days Gone By
- Words Darker Than Their Wings
- Slip To The Void (sometimes I skip this)
- All Hope Is Gone

And you read right, I skip Isolation. Pretty much their worst single yet, imo. Not that it's a bad song, but it just wears out really quick.
Yeah, pretty much this. And it's the same with Farther Than The Sun, that's actually their worst chorus yet, dead even with Watch Your Words if you ask me.

If I had to make an ABIII top 5, those would be the exact songs I'd choose. :)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So what are we going to call the guy on the album cover? Seems to me like he deserves a name.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.