Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, I really liked that! I was a bit worried that I wasn't going to like Myles' voice. I thought it was a bit nasal in the preview, but it doesn't bother me at all in the full song!

Absolutely looove the classic rock vibe of the song. People are obviously going to compare the song with Slash, but fuck that. Amazing choice for a single.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I didn't think it sounded that Slashy imo (besides the verse guitars and a little bit of the solos). But I don't think it sounds Alter Bridge either.

Kind of sounds like a unique mix of all of their projects to me.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTTkNlvrYeQ

AB released the official video

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I will say, I wish they added more lyrics in the bridge. I know its meant for the solo, but they usually hit the hardest in their bridge, and I think it kinda lacked.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:I am assuming that the first 3 tracks are going to be really heavy and then this was put to give the listener a breather. Also, I can't imagine You Will Be Remembered and Twilight to be heavy as well. This album seems to have some nice variations in the mood of the songs.

On another note, has anyone tried to sing along? Both Show Me a Leader and My Champion are so difficult to sing!
I can sing along in a monotone whispery voice if that counts :P Or do you mean vocal range and all?
LOL. What I meant was stuff you would want to upload on YouTube. :P
AB4Lyfe wrote:I tried in the car just now, the pre chorus is difficult for me but everything else isn't too bad (I'm also a tenor, just can't always reach falsetto).
Wow. That's great! :)

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Mark's backing vocals are so damn good.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I got to say. I liked that lyric video better than Show Me A Leader's. Sure, they taken some footage of the band playing live and added some nice graphics (I'm really digging the design of the star they got there). As for the song, it's pretty positive and the chorus works better in the context of the song. Pretty catchy single, here. If they ever want to replace one of their closing songs with My Champion, they could do a lot worst and I do believe this is a great song to send the crowd home happy.

Still longing for one of those big-time feeling AB songs along the likes of Fortress, Cry of Achilles, Blackbird, Wayward One, etc. though. Hope they got something like that in the album.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

AB23 wrote:I didn't think it sounded that Slashy imo (besides the verse guitars and a little bit of the solos). But I don't think it sounds Alter Bridge either.

Kind of sounds like a unique mix of all of their projects to me.
That's what they are trying to attempt with this album I guess. They don't want to sound the same as the previous stuff. :)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Thank god they're doing an effort to sound different for once. I know they always do it subtly, but I didn't expect this at all. Love it. Can't wait for the shitstorm on facebook and the Youtube video.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

The "get back up again" in the chorus is just fucking awesome.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I love the little pause after "back".
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

AB23 wrote:The "get back up again" in the chorus is just fucking awesome.
Agreed. I fucking love the chorus

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Shout-out to Myles' backing vocals in the bridge. Absolutely brilliant.
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

joshuabeau wrote:Mark's backing vocals are so damn good.
I wish they were louder/higher in the mix though. That's my only gripe with this song. Everything else I love.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:Shout-out to Myles' backing vocals in the bridge. Absolutely brilliant.
And the super high notes he has in the backing vocals at some point in the song I think near the outro? Were great too! But they're so buried in the mix compared to past albums :/

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I'm gonna wear this dry until I get tired of it. I definitely think, upon first listen of all 5 AB records' worth of songs, this is probably a top 15 first impression on me.

I really dig it. It seems to have very polarizing reactions. Not a lot of meh opinions on it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:I will say, I wish they added more lyrics in the bridge. I know its meant for the solo, but they usually hit the hardest in their bridge, and I think it kinda lacked.
For me, the one key aspect I feel like they are missing in Show Me A Leader and My Champion is them setting up that anticipation (the calm before the storm, I guess) before the bridge section, since they are really great at that.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Love the last "You've gotta keep FIGHTING"! Great melody! Also "My CHAMP-ION" :D

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

I don't know you guys, but I think that this lyric video is like the first 'pro' thing that Alter Bridge produce in a loooooong time, I mean... SMAL lyric video is pretty shitty, this is just beautiful and perfect

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

yep. The bridge in Open Your Eyes at the 2005 Home Run Derby is what got me into these guys. And since then, their bridges have only gotten better (not better than Burn it Down's bridge imo, but better as a whole).

It seems to me like they've used the bridge, not necessarily as a climax in lyrical content that leads into the final verse, but more as a one to two line vocal filler with a featured solo. I guess that's the radio friendly thing to do.

Hope its just for the singles though. The bridge is probably the biggest let down in MC. Solos are cool and all, but if you're gonna have them as the entire feature of the bridge, I kinda like the dual Myles/Mark solos.

With that second chorus, it seems like the bridge had a ton of potential for some emotionally driven lyrics and a chance for Myles to change the tone of the song. Kind of think they missed a nice opportunity there. The solo isn't bad at all, but it feels out of place.

When they say "we write PARTS of songs and combine them into one song" that's what it feels like they did with this bridge. It just feels so out of place in regards to the rest of the song.