Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by cheesedip1 »

----Blackbird album has my favorite songs by them but also my least favorite (coming Home). Also, some of the songs arent bad per se but they have bland choruses to me (wayward one, one by one)

----Breathe sounded awesome.

---I am just gonna come out and say it. Poison in Your Veins is a step down for AB. It is bland and generic. We will see over time, but honestly it might just end up as being my least favorite AB song. Bridge is best part of song.

Bottom line.....for an AB song Poison in Your Veins is a step down.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

cheesedip1 wrote:----Blackbird album has my favorite songs by them but also my least favorite (coming Home). Also, some of the songs arent bad per se but they have bland choruses to me (wayward one, one by one)

----Breathe sounded awesome.

---I am just gonna come out and say it. Poison in Your Veins is a step down for AB. It is bland and generic. We will see over time, but honestly it might just end up as being my least favorite AB song. Bridge is best part of song.

Bottom line.....for an AB song Poison in Your Veins is a step down.
See, that's why music is so brilliantly subjective. For me, One By One is one of their best choruses and one of my fave tracks on Blackbird easily. I always feel I need to stick up for that track, it gets a lot of flack on here :(

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I can't believe I missed this snippet and pages upon pages of discussion.

Guys, you know ODR is probably my least favorite album and AB III and Fortress are up there for me. That said, I was completely BLOWN AWAY by that Breathe snippet. :bow Those 60 seconds packed more emotion than all the songs released from TLH combined. That and Myles' voice was why I started listening to AB, and I did not realize how much I missed hearing something like this.

Breathe reminded me of Lover instantly, and I love that song to bits. It makes me sad that one part of a song from the era of my least favorite album I already rate higher than everything I've heard from TLH so far.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Jim wrote:(P.S. Those of you who have downloaded the album illegally and have any objections or arguments against our honest opinions about these songs; please feel free to leave and never return.
Your opinion was registered void the moment you choose to steal from Alter Bridge)
Sigh

Edit: Also. God damn Breathe sounds nice. Don't suppose it's too late to hook on to a best-buy sending deal from one of our American friends?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I haven't listened to Breathe, but I'm really hoping the band has read your comments about it.
When 90% of your fans complain about your current sound, it may be time to finally listen to them.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Regardless of how I feel about the evolution of Alter Bridge's sound, I really don't think any serious band should listen to their fan base when it comes to creating music.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

chtimixeur wrote:I haven't listened to Breathe, but I'm really hoping the band has read your comments about it.
When 90% of your fans complain about your current sound, it may be time to finally listen to them.

most of the fans online so far and I mean the majority of them are missing what AB sounded like back in the day, fortunately or unfortunately, the creed/mf4 sound with mr Myles on vocals. This trying to separate the band from its roots just to sound different to prove a point is clearly not working for the band's artistic vision imo. Commercial/critical success are no measure. MF4 was neither commercially successful nor well known enough to be critically acclaimed, but its some of the best stuff Myles has ever done, so with Creed, as much as people like to diss the band and jump on the hate wagon, classic Creed is timeless and I saw a shift online where newer fans are discovering Tremonti's older stuff or Myles' older stuff and definitely rating it above whats been put out lately.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@phatnonphatness : I'm not even talking about the music. I'm just talking about the production, and it's been an issue for years and years.

Plus, if you listen to Myles and Mark, they keep repeating they don't want to alienate their fanbase when they write a new album. Instead of following their heart 100% and truly believing in themselves, they always try to please their fans, and they keep on writing radio singles that they don't necessarily love because that's what's expected of them.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

The following is my personal opinion:

I nearly flipped out when I heard the sound of Alter Bridge the first time (ODR times, it was "Open your eyes"). To me, 12 years ago, it sounded perfect. Everything. But with time, I got older, and their music changed a bit, and I even liked it more. I love the fact, that their music today is so complex, that I need to listen to an album 5-6 times to really get in there. This is something that no other band I listen to has ever done. I remember the day I got Fortress. I was a bit disappointed after the first time I completely listened the album. Today, it's easily my favourite disc from AB (even though my favourite song will always be "Blackbird").

My point about this? I was 17 when I listened ODR, my own life was not yet as complex as now. I got older, life gets heavier, much more complicated (don't get me wrong, I am very happy with everything), and so was it with the sound of AB. I think that is just something that happens when time goes by.

Again, just my opinion. I love every album of them, but Fortress was brillant to me, and I bet TLH will be too. :rockon :yes :cheers

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Interesting take on things! I kind of feel the same too. I think the compositions are so much better on the later albums. Though I appreciate the purity of the ODR sound, which is almost like a breath of fresh air now that I hear Breathe. Also a big fan of Burn It Down and Breathe does have that same vibe and sound. That's why it sounds nostalgic to me.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

fix wrote:Interesting take on things! I kind of feel the same too. I think the compositions are so much better on the later albums. Though I appreciate the purity of the ODR sound, which is almost like a breath of fresh air now that I hear Breathe. Also a big fan of Burn It Down and Breathe does have that same vibe and sound. That's why it sounds nostalgic to me.
Maybe the fact that the sound got more complex while life gets more complex too is also a reason why I can so much identify with their music.

Don't get me wrong, I love to sit at home, turn the volume on and listen to ODR or Blackbird. Love the purity as well! And no doubt about Burn It Down, world class song to me, no question :)
I didn't listen to Breathe yet, but after what I read in this forum, I will love it as well.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Thomz87 wrote:The following is my personal opinion:

I nearly flipped out when I heard the sound of Alter Bridge the first time (ODR times, it was "Open your eyes"). To me, 12 years ago, it sounded perfect. Everything. But with time, I got older, and their music changed a bit, and I even liked it more. I love the fact, that their music today is so complex, that I need to listen to an album 5-6 times to really get in there. This is something that no other band I listen to has ever done. I remember the day I got Fortress. I was a bit disappointed after the first time I completely listened the album. Today, it's easily my favourite disc from AB (even though my favourite song will always be "Blackbird").

My point about this? I was 17 when I listened ODR, my own life was not yet as complex as now. I got older, life gets heavier, much more complicated (don't get me wrong, I am very happy with everything), and so was it with the sound of AB. I think that is just something that happens when time goes by.

Again, just my opinion. I love every album of them, but Fortress was brillant to me, and I bet TLH will be too. :rockon :yes :cheers
:bow

This is basically how I feel.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

slasherbridge wrote:

:bow

This is basically how I feel.
So glad to read this. I just love it when music connects people :)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Jim wrote:please feel free to leave and never return.
I don't condone leaks, haven't heard this album yet, etc. But there has to be a better way to handle things...
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Andy92 wrote:
Jim wrote:please feel free to leave and never return.
I don't condone leaks, haven't heard this album yet, etc. But there has to be a better way to handle things...
I guess Jim removed one too many comments about leaked songs.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Personal reflection on TABN!

Post by Timotheus »

I love this post. I definitely can relate to the "life gets more complicated" part, but opposed to you, it's like I am looking for something simple in all the chaos, kinda to balance things out. I never thought of it that way, because I'm into a lot of prog and art rock as well, but somehow it's always the simple music that really resonates with me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

:yeahthat

I wouldn't say I was disappointed in Fortress when I first heard it, but my initial reaction was nowhere near how highly I regard the album now. It takes many listens to absorb and appreciate music this intricate. For me, The Last Hero has been a similar experience.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Re: Personal reflection on TABN!

Post by Thomz87 »

Timotheus wrote:

I love this post. I definitely can relate to the "life gets more complicated" part, but opposed to you, it's like I am looking for something simple in all the chaos, kinda to balance things out. I never thought of it that way, because I'm into a lot of prog and art rock as well, but somehow it's always the simple music that really resonates with me.
And I never looked at it your way, but it makes totally sense. Isn't music a beautiful thing?

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

I'm shocked by the lack of love for ODR on here :shrug . IMO, it is supremely solid from start to finish and is just another great album in their catalogue. No better or worse than any of their other albums. ALL classics for me! :peace

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

abw1987 wrote:

:yeahthat

I wouldn't say I was disappointed in Fortress when I first heard it, but my initial reaction was nowhere near how highly I regard the album now. It takes many listens to absorb and appreciate music this intricate. For me, The Last Hero has been a similar experience.
Right, disappointed is not really the right word. I honestly don't think Alter Bridge's music can ever disappoint me. But it took a few listens to discover what a masterpiece Fortress was/is.