Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

DCooper727 wrote:As for the AB/Tremonti comparison, I almost wish that Tremonti hadn't started his side project due to this complaint. It's like AB isn't allowed to be heavy because people will start whining and saying that the heavy songs should just be Tremonti tracks now.
Well, what else is he supposed to do when Myles is with Slash? Creed? Then, we'll just be complaining that any potential Creed songs may be lacking heart since, maybe, he may be unmotivated to do Creed and some people would be wanting him to do something else that taps all the potential he has outside of Creed/AB.

People are just going to have some criticisms anyway regarding any direction AB goes to. Going more heavier/progressive/speed metal, it's going to sound like a Tremonti track. Going for a sleazy guitar sound/nasal-sounding Myles, welp, now AB is going to sound like Slash's solo band. Going for a laid-back peppy happy sound (which still has electric guitars), welp, now AB's going all mainstream rock on us.

mradu1960
Brand New Start

Post by mradu1960 »

DCooper727 wrote:
mradu1960 wrote:Not liking this new one at all "for AB". It's a good song, but sounds definitely more like a Tremonti solo song than an Alter Bridge song. Just me, but this is really NOT what I want to hear from AB. The first three songs are cool. This one....for me, not so much.
I'm the exact opposite; The Other Side is the only released track so far that doesn't sound like AB were chasing single material. The mainstream sound from SMaL/My Champion/Poison is just not what I want at all. Mark even admitted in the track by track that they are at their best when they go for the epic tracks, and I honestly wish they'd just drop these vcvcbc tracks entirely in favor of more progressive tracks. Just seems like they're wasting their potential when they could be so much more.

As for the AB/Tremonti comparison, I almost wish that Tremonti hadn't started his side project due to this complaint. It's like AB isn't allowed to be heavy because people will start whining and saying that the heavy songs should just be Tremonti tracks now.
I LOVE heavy stuff from AB, especially epic stuff. I just don't think THIS SONG particularly works (for me anyway). Quite honestly, this is the absolute FIRST song that AB has ever done that hasn't clicked with me.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

anguyen92 wrote:
DCooper727 wrote:As for the AB/Tremonti comparison, I almost wish that Tremonti hadn't started his side project due to this complaint. It's like AB isn't allowed to be heavy because people will start whining and saying that the heavy songs should just be Tremonti tracks now.
Well, what else is he supposed to do when Myles is with Slash? Creed? Then, we'll just be complaining that any potential Creed songs may be lacking heart since, maybe, he may be unmotivated to do Creed and some people would be wanting him to do something else that taps all the potential he has outside of Creed/AB.

People are just going to have some criticisms anyway regarding any direction AB goes to. Going more heavier/progressive/speed metal, it's going to sound like a Tremonti track. Going for a sleazy guitar sound/nasal-sounding Myles, welp, now AB is going to sound like Slash's solo band. Going for a laid-back peppy happy sound (which still has electric guitars), welp, now AB's going all mainstream rock on us.
The part that you quoted is not meant to be taken literally; Creed and Slash have nothing to do with what I said. It's just that now that Tremonti exists as a band, people have complained any time that an AB track is heavy: Waters Rising, The Other Side, Bleed it Dry, etc, and each time they say that it just sounds like a Tremonti track with Myles singing. It's as if they forgot about
ABIII being dark and heavy + songs like Ties That Bind/White Knuckles. AB have moving in the heavier/darker direction since BB and I hardly saw any complaints aside from the ODR crowd until Tremonti became a thing.

I understand that preference is just very much a thing, but I think the heavy material is here to stay. No need to say that it's just a Tremonti track because it's heavy.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I don't think it's all due to the production from a mixing perspective (although that's a good piece of it), but I also think the guitar rig changes over the years play into it as well.
It is actually due to the production. Bands like Periphery or Tesseract also use super low tunings but their mixes sound incredibly spacious and crystal clear.
Certain guitar amps/setups handle low tunings better than others too. I don't know what Periphery uses so I won't say for sure, but I do know when Elvis worked on Blackbird the guitars sounded great. The guitar rigs have changed over the years, but it's the same producer. I personally think it's a mix of multiple things causing it instead of one specific answer.

I've become less thrilled with Mark's live tone in comparison to how it was 10 years ago too, so that's part of the reason I tend to think the rig has something to do with it.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Thundercats
Brand New Start

Post by Thundercats »

Andy92 wrote:
Dolo wrote:
Andy92 wrote:I don't think it's all due to the production from a mixing perspective (although that's a good piece of it), but I also think the guitar rig changes over the years play into it as well.
It is actually due to the production. Bands like Periphery or Tesseract also use super low tunings but their mixes sound incredibly spacious and crystal clear.
Certain guitar amps/setups handle low tunings better than others too. I don't know what Periphery uses so I won't say for sure, but I do know when Elvis worked on Blackbird the guitars sounded great. The guitar rigs have changed over the years, but it's the same producer. I personally think it's a mix of multiple things causing it instead of one specific answer.

I've become less thrilled with Mark's live tone in comparison to how it was 10 years ago too, so that's part of the reason I tend to think the rig has something to do with it.

Mark uses the same rig he always has. He uses the Triple rectifier and Bogner for his dirty stuff and a Fender twin for the clean stuff. He uses the same guitars with the same pickups as well. Nothing has changed except for his playing style, which has gravitated more and more toward thrash and modern metal.. Now, his amp setting may be a little different now, because in order to achieve this sound, he'd need to cut a lot of that Rectifier bottom end out to tighten it up. I love his tone now. It's the perfect metal tone.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

"Losing Patience" review is live!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2955#p181372

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

abw1987 wrote:"Losing Patience" review is live!

Thanks! Nicely done.
Tomorrow is the big review!

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

pokefan_4 wrote:

Just wait until you hear The Other Side
Stage is set. Scott Stapp bursts out onto stage, starts singing the lyrics to Justify

"Hey boooooooy..... have you seen the other side!?"

Me: (starts laughing)

(stops laughing)

Well, this is awkward.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Nice! Bring on the bees!

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

----So far, out of the first 3 released songs, I have liked SMaL better than the other two. Poison isnt doing much for me, and My Champion is alright, but nothing special.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

The Other Side sounds like it might be this albums "Show Me a Sign". Which I'm okay with.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

SamarthJoshi wrote:

Thanks! Nicely done.
You weren't kidding!

TSOF review is up: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2955#p181373

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

abw1987 wrote:

Go see!! ^^^

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

Jim wrote:
abw1987 wrote:

Go see!! ^^^
This and Island of Fools are the reviews I'm looking forward to the most, just from the buzz-hype alone. Sounds like a great track. Can't wait to hear the dang thing soon!

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Good review imo.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Not long to go guys, just to clarify this song is an absolute monster. It twists and turns, it flies and soars and hits hard

Thundercats
Brand New Start

Post by Thundercats »

Jim wrote:Not long to go guys, just to clarify this song is an absolute monster. It twists and turns, it flies and soars and hits hard
Eh, I still can't read the rules. Even though I've had several posts edited for the same thing.
Last edited by Ryan on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The album hasn't been released yet....read our rules.

Thundercats
Brand New Start

Post by Thundercats »

Electricladyland wrote:
Jim wrote:
abw1987 wrote:

Go see!! ^^^
This and Island of Fools are the reviews I'm looking forward to the most, just from the buzz-hype alone. Sounds like a great track. Can't wait to hear the dang thing soon!
Island Of Fools I've heard is definitely one worth waiting for.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

abw1987 wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:

Thanks! Nicely done.
You weren't kidding!

Wow! A combination of Words and Fortress! And it still didn't get a 10! Is it possible for you guys to tell us whether there is any 10/10 song on this album? ;) :P

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

These are averages of all admin ratings. Some of us gave it a 10, some didn't.

I gave This Side Of Fate a 9.5/10. I gave Crows On A Wire and Island Of Fools a 10/10.
Photobucket cash grab.