Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Lukeage »

I put ABIII on in the car just now. I forgot how dark that album is... Slightly off-topic but I'm glad they abandoned that overly dark and dirty sound. It's good to experiment. But it really didn't work for them I don't think. Needs more melody. Getting plenty of that in TLH so far by the sound of it!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Lukeage wrote:I put ABIII on in the car just now. I forgot how dark that album is... Slightly off-topic but I'm glad they abandoned that overly dark and dirty sound. It's good to experiment. But it really didn't work for them I don't think. Needs more melody. Getting plenty of that in TLH so far by the sound of it!
rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt rt

but I'm American so that's probably a bad thing

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

fix wrote:TOS is slow creepy heavy
Those three words suit that song very well.
I think it's the first creepy sounding song Mark has put out in his career.

But when I hear the AB members say it might be their next single, it makes me think they're crazy. This is not radio material whatsoever.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

chtimixeur wrote:
fix wrote:TOS is slow creepy heavy
But when I hear the AB members say it might be their next single, it makes me think they're crazy. This is not radio material whatsoever.
CoA wasn't either, and they still butchered it for radio. :slam I love these guys, but they tend to make faux passes.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think Cry of Achilles was a single, because we, the fans, pushed for them to do so, and the radio-powers they be wanted to cut it down its length to fit their slots and get their ads in the schedule they want, and then the single bombed. AB could have played it safe and just put "Farther Than The Sun" in hindsight.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I think Cry of Achilles was unsuccessful on the radiobecause of the fucking Americans.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

anguyen92 wrote:I think Cry of Achilles was a single, because we, the fans, pushed for them to do so, and the radio-powers they be wanted to cut it down its length to fit their slots and get their ads in the schedule they want, and then the single bombed. AB could have played it safe and just put "Farther Than The Sun" in hindsight.
Well, maybe they/management should know when NOT to listen to fans :lol CoA in its entirety is amazing, but as far from a single as it gets. Cut in almost half must have been horrible (I never dared to listen to it)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ It's pretty terrible. I'm sure in hindsight if I heard that for the first time ever on radio, without hearing the album, I'll go, "That's the song? Sounds like a lot of things is missing in that song like a bridge or a 3rd chorus or something. Sounds like a 4 minute start of a long song."

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The awful radio edit reflected the amount of fucks the label gave about COA. Any amateur with a mixing program could've done a better job. The label didn't care about the song and didn't expect it to do well so they fucked it up from the start. If they'd given the song a proper music video and actually spent some time promoting it, it would've done much better. Wasted opportunity imo.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

AB23 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Anyone else think The Other Side lyric is inspired by the Paris shootings? I think it might be.
Nah I think its just more or less a lyrical sequel to the conversation Myles and Mark had in WDTTW, personally. I don't think it was inspired by any current events. Could be just me though.
But what about the lyric "the triggers warm, anticipating. The rituals begun. You think that heavens gates are waiting. But only hell will come". It makes me think of killing for your religion, thinking you will be rewarded with "heaven".

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Mister Gold wrote:
AB23 wrote:It feels like it has a more sinister tone, but I don't think that it has to do with radical islamists or something. I actually think it, in a sense, sticks with the political tone as well as ties in religion to one major theme. Being ignorant about other's beliefs and ideologies is one way to halt progression, and it seems to me that the song is a darker, angry response to the people who refuse to listen to other's perspectives.
I'd absolutely agree with you on that. It's not necessarily about terrorism. After all, I've seen fellow Christians say and do terrible things to/about others in my community in the name of Jesus Christ. The song can just as easily be about people in the Bible Belt who shame and condemn homosexuals or others with differing religious views as it can be about terrorism or radical Islamists.
Of course. I think it's open to be about all that. That's why I was saying "inspired" instead of "about".

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

AB23 wrote:okay can we stop with the US stereotypes because it just paints us all with a broad stroke even though I could probably reason my way out of fucking Alcatraz better than anyone else here? K thx. Its happening too much.

If PiyV is "bland" (compared to the rest of their catalogue), then in what world would it be successful in a specific country for that reason? Because the US likes "bland"? Stop it. You sound silly.
I somewhat meant exactly what you thought I meant and yet at the same time I did not.

Like, I wasnt trying to paint the US as either black or white. My post was more of the middle ground. Yet I understand why some may have taken it the wrong way.

In my defense, chill out dude.

Like, you're taking my post WAY more seriously than I intended it to be.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Timotheus wrote:The awful radio edit reflected the amount of fucks the label gave about COA. Any amateur with a mixing program could've done a better job. The label didn't care about the song and didn't expect it to do well so they fucked it up from the start. If they'd given the song a proper music video and actually spent some time promoting it, it would've done much better. Wasted opportunity imo.
What label would this be?

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

:(

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

So, the US didn't get The Other Side? I'm too lazy to scroll back and see.
Thanks Andy!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Micky wrote:So, the US didn't get The Other Side? I'm too lazy to scroll back and see.
Technically no-one has, looks like it was released by mistake and isn't available for download anywhere now.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

I feel lucky then if it was just released by mistake... :dance

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

So who's looking forward to hearing what we have to say about The Writing On The Wall?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Genuinely am.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yess. Love it!
anguyen92 wrote: