Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by AB23 »

edit: lol

Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lenishere »

Reading the Facebook comments on the preview for Poison In Your Veins is making my head hurt. Here are some gems:

From one user:
"These singles sound nothing like they've done before. They're commercial as fuck, sound like Slash lyrics, the solos suck, and they're pretty much a similar tempo and feel"

"AB3 was dark, dynamic, solos were awesome as fuck, and the lyrics were very philosophical and metaphorical. Same thing with Fortress, only Fortress was a little lighter." Fortress was LIGHTER??

Some other users:
"Having followed them since day one it just feels like they going soft/commercial rock." Yep, that's right folks. They are going soft rock.

"I'm listening to "In Loving Memory" right now. I paused it to hear the preview. So far, this new stuff sounds nothing like Alter Bridge." Yes, because a song from their first album is a good indicator as to how their fifth album should sound. Fuck evolving and trying new things.

Not to mention almost every comment is talking about a leak directly. UGH! Just wait to hear the album. Stop making judgements about singles and a 15 SECOND SAMPLE of a song.
Last edited by Lenishere on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

so had Dust leaked yet?

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

pokefan_4 wrote:so had Dust leaked yet?
:shifty

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Lenishere wrote:Reading the Facebook comments on the preview for Poison In Your Veins is making my head hurt. Here are some gems:

From one user:
"These singles sound nothing like they've done before. They're commercial as fuck, sound like Slash lyrics, the solos suck, and they're pretty much a similar tempo and feel"

"AB3 was dark, dynamic, solos were awesome as fuck, and the lyrics were very philosophical and metaphorical. Same thing with Fortress, only Fortress was a little lighter." Fortress was LIGHTER??

Some other users:
"Having followed them since day one it just feels like they going soft/commercial rock." Yep, that's right folks. They are going soft rock.

"I'm listening to "In Loving Memory" right now. I paused it to hear the preview. So far, this new stuff sounds nothing like Alter Bridge." Yes, because a song from their first album is a good indicator as to how their fifth album should sound. Fuck evolving and trying new things.

Not to mention almost every comment is talking about a leak directly. UGH! Just wait to hear the album. Stop making judgements about singles and a 15 SECOND SAMPLE of a song.
To be fair they do seem to have released similar kinds of songs so far, whereas if they'd gone with The Other Side (as Mark said they might after they played the beginning on Trunk's show), people might react differently and think the album would have a greater range. But then I suppose they might want to be putting the more digestible stuff out now to let people discover the more challenging stuff on hearing the album.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lol, soft rock... Some people are so insecure.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I'll take people's idea of AB doing soft-rock over what Skillet and Shinedown has been doing in their latest albums. Those albums (Unleashed and Threat to Survival) are just not the bright spots of their catalogs, imo. At least, Show Me A Leader and My Champion have been good listens thus far, as singles, and with AB having some long songs, some dark songs, gives the idea of a wide range, The Last Hero album is still looks to be pretty promising.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ I'll take people's idea of AB doing soft-rock over what Skillet and Shinedown has been doing in their latest albums. Those albums (Unleashed and Threat to Survival) are just not the bright spots of their catalogs, imo. At least, Show Me A Leader and My Champion have been good listens thus far, as singles, and with AB having some long songs, some dark songs, gives the idea of a wide range, The Last Hero album is still looks to be pretty promising.

Skillets new album no good? Been meaning to listen to it but haven't yet.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ We, and when I say we, I mean some people in the forums that have heard it, have stated that it's a mixed bag album, at best.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Just an honest opinion, nothing more.
SMAL was ok, but nothing special, just too poppy and sing-a-long for my taste.
My Champion for me is the far worst track they ever recorded. My god, so bad !
Read over here track 3 will have the same sound, wonder what it will sound like.
Keeping my hopes up reading over here the rest of the songs will be darker and could be considered to be more the AB-sound for which I began to appreciate this band in the first place. Can't help or hide to be disappointed untill now, but keeping my hopes up ! Otherwise I will just have to be patience for the next Tremonti-record for which I will not have to fear it will lack the real heavy vibe. Trust the guys though to treat us for some great rock tracks on this album.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

riemslag1 wrote:My Champion for me is the far worst track they ever recorded. My god, so bad
Don't worry, you're not alone. It's my least favourite Alter Bridge song now. Opinion

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

RoelSmoel wrote:Single #3 - Poison In Your Veins
THIS FRIDAY
https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/vi ... 756818558/
Really liked the melody of that chorus!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Sounds like something from the 80's. I can dig it!
Thanks Timo!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Uhhh, again, I am not hyped. Shit now I am really worried again that the album will some sellout-ish piece of crap. The chorus sounds too mainstream rock like.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Don't fret. The 3 releases (Sources suggest) aren't the strongest songs on the album. Although I do genuinely love SMAL. I have time for the other two, I like the licks in MC, I agree the lyrics are a little generic though. Personally I don't see why 'heavier' always seems to be a measure of improvement or progression for a lot of people.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Mr. Slash wrote:Uhhh, again, I am not hyped. Shit now I am really worried again that the album will some sellout-ish piece of crap. The chorus sounds too mainstream rock like.
Aggressive

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

DonHarry wrote:Don't fret. The 3 releases (Sources suggest) aren't the strongest songs on the album. Although I do genuinely love SMAL. I have time for the other two, I like the licks in MC, I agree the lyrics are a little generic though. Personally I don't see why 'heavier' always seems to be a measure of improvement or progression for a lot of people.
We like the boom boom.

I enjoy Show Me a Leader a lot, it's my least favourite album opener but there's a lot to love about it (and a lot of competition in that slot).
For all of the hope that it brings...

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Jim wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:My Champion for me is the far worst track they ever recorded. My god, so bad
Don't worry, you're not alone. It's my least favourite Alter Bridge song now. Opinion
Same here.

They really should have put out The Other Side or Island of Fools since they sound really heavy from those previews that went up on Amazon/Facebook.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

We like the boom boom.
I guess, but I mean a lot of us came in on ODR's, and that wouldn't really be classed as heavy (comparatively), so heavier wasn't what piqued our interest initially.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I agree there. Look at songs like Open Your Eyes, One Day Remains, Down To My Last, etc. Those are really great and uplifting songs and a song like My Champion does not seem out of place with those songs, imo.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.