Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Dolo »

My reaction regarding the chorus:

Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Awesome to see so many loving it! Hopefully it clicks for me in the context of the album.
For all of the hope that it brings...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Wow, this a lot of discussion! Good job everyone.

I'm in the "meh" camp on this song.... Not bad overall but the chorus is just too cheesey/poppy, and the solo seems out of place. Great intro and verses though. I will say though, any negative opinions aside, I think it's important for them to keep uplifting songs in there to keep things dynamic. This song is worth having on the album and will 100% be played live!

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Last edited by Marshall on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

WaywardOne wrote:Wow, this a lot of discussion! Good job everyone.

I'm in the "meh" camp on this song.... Not bad overall but the chorus is just too cheesey/poppy, and the solo seems out of place. Great intro and verses though. I will say though, any negative opinions aside, I think it's important for them to keep uplifting songs in there to keep things dynamic. This song is worth having on the album and will 100% be played live!
I will take the lyrics in My Champion over whatever the crap James came up with for Metallica's new single ,its simply awful

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

SMAL and MC are definitely going to get played. That only leaves place for 2 or 3 more new songs. That's kinda depressing. I'm vow I won't complain about the setlists this time around, but I already get a headache thinking about it :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

Timotheus wrote:SMAL and MC are definitely going to get played. That only leaves place for 2 or 3 more new songs. That's kinda depressing. I'm vow I won't complain about the setlists this time around, but I already get a headache thinking about it :lol
I just stopped trying to pay attention to the live sets after awhile back in the Fortress tour cycle. I really want to be proven wrong and see them play a more varied set on this tour, but folks have already brought up the point that this is all probably a consequence of the guys all having other side-projects and just being more comfortable with playing the BB material since they'd played those songs for so long before the side-projects anyway.

At the very least, I'm hoping the two epics off this album (This Side of Fate and The Last Hero) make it to the setlist. Based on Myles' statement in the press release that the title track is apparently his favorite track off the album, I'd say that's a safe bet for the setlist too.
"Do you believe in destiny?"

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

FFS! ARE THEY TRYING TO BREAK MY BANK, HERE?! Hopefully these are up for a while so I can let my wallet rest for a bit.

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

:( :( :( :( I am draining so much damn money this album cycle. /sigh

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Timotheus wrote:SMAL and MC are definitely going to get played. That only leaves place for 2 or 3 more new songs. That's kinda depressing. I'm vow I won't complain about the setlists this time around, but I already get a headache thinking about it :lol
I hope that they at least replace My Champion with a mediocre song from their previous albums (if there are any ;D)... a wild guess, more hope, would be that they replace Rise Today with My CHampion for instance. I like Rise Today and it's a great last song on a concert, but they are playing it for years now and with Rise Today, My Champion, Ghosts... there are too many kinda calm "sing along" songs on the setlist imo (calm and sing along sound harsh, I mean compared to the other ones, in some way).

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

As stated before, I love the song. People need to realize this album has a variety of stuff on it. Mark has stated many times there is something for everyone on this album. Trust me, we will get our dosage of heavy AB on TLH. As for now, this is a great release imo. We haven't had an uplifting single since BB or ABIII if you want count Ghosts to some extent. This would be a great set closer and will definitely get some airplay on the U.S radio. Besides, isn't that what a lot of the U.S fans would like to see, them getting bigger in the states? Anyway loving this choice as a single.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Myles just did an acoustic show in the Hard Rock cafe in Paris. The Hard Rock cafe in Brussels next plz :D

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Maggie was there and confirmed he did not play ATP. He played Show Me A Leader in place of it. He finished with Hallelujah.

Awesome.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

He did Show Me a Leader acoustic? This must be seen.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

Sounds so fucking great

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

So far I'm not in love with the album.

- music... Mark/Myles have more talent in their hands (guitar playing wise) than so many others out there

Dislike:
- the fact that the biggest music distributor in my country have a huge premium on the price, even at the preorder stages... Deluxe Edition $31 and standard edition $25 when most new releases range from $15 to $20? But that's not AB's fault.
- changes to the logo (though I can forgive it 'cos it seems to fit the theme of the album artwork)
- title (maybe this will change when we hear the rest of the album)
- lyrics seem to have taken a nosedive from dark/intense/meaningful to absolute bollocks and complete drivel, really, stuff that any other band could come up with - it's sounding all too commercial and that's not AB's realm. The good lyrics seem to be on Tremonti's latest solo output.

SO. Let's see what happens. Maybe it will grow on me. I could listen to Addicted to Pain repeatedly, I could listen to Rise Today repeatedly... when they were released as singles before the album release. But these ones are just kinda sitting there gathering dust in my iPhone memory at the moment. I only listened to My Champion once so far that's how disappointed I am with this stuff so far, that's coming from someone who followed them since seeing the music video to Open Your Eyes on a music video channel just before One Day Remains dropped. I listened to that album so much I practically wore out the disc.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Loved the singalong parts :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

What a glorious man he is.