Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Lenishere
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Lenishere »

Personally, I don't see what the problem is with the song from everything I've heard. It's just another upbeat Alter Bridge song. To me, it feels good to hear another uplifting song from them. I've missed it. The only thing I can agree is subpar in this song is some of the lyrics. They can be a bit generic based on what I've heard. However, the lyrics still reflect my mood as of late, and I do feel as if this song will very relatable to people. Additionally, I actually think from what I heard this uplifting song has a different sound than most of their other ballads/uplifting songs so in that sense it's still unique. Overall I still actually really like the song - it's exactly the type of song I needed, and it feels great to be able to hear a new optimistic Alter Bridge song. Alter Bridge has honestly gotten me through a lot of tough times, so their more uplifting songs hold a special place in me. Those are just my thoughts.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Let's give it until tomorrow. In a way, the end of the snippet/chorus reminds me of Ghosts of Days Gone By "Yesterday is gone we can't go back again."

Its just a single, and I have yet to listen to a single that I liked more than even half of the rest of the album. But I'm a fan of upbeat lyrics (one of the reasons I preferred ODR), and AB specializes in their bridges anyway...which we haven't heard, so let's wait it out.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Yeah but you can have uplifting and relatable lyrics without them being generic.
AB23 wrote:Its just a single, and I have yet to listen to a single that I liked more than even half of the rest of the album.
I agree with this though, not only when it comes to AB, but most bands. But I don't have a good feeling about the rest of the album when it comes to lyrics, which is a shame for me 'cause I find lyrics as important as the music itself.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

The lyrics in Addicted to Pain and Isolation were far worse than Show Me a Leader. We're talking about "cheesiness" here (me included), Addicted to Pain is a name that takes the cake.

If the lyrics are uplifting, that's important to me. I know it may not be to other people who like the "doom and gloom and the world is crashing down" aspect of AB, which they tend to be good at.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Darkness with a hint of hope, I think there's real power in that, and I think Myles and Mark are really good at that.

I guess it can't always be dark, but yea, it could've been a bit less generic. Let's hope they don't pull a Muse here.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I miss the way Myles sang during the ODR/ BB era. He needs to go back to a lower register. Example - Brand New Start/Wayward On. His voice is perfect.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I love the sound of that little snippet. It outdoes All Ends Well in just a few seconds.

I'm a bit surprised to read some quibbles about the lyrics. I mean, Alter Bridge are my favourite band.. but barring the odd song or two/line or two here and there.. they've never really blown me away when it comes to the ol' lyrical content. It's just not an area of their craft that Mark and Myles are getting better at in my opinion - which is in stark contrast to their technical abilities and whatnot. So, yeah, I don't think the lyrics here are anymore generic than the majority of Myles' lyrical output of recent years. I'm just thankful for that fantastic sodding voice of his. Heh.

Someone might take umbrage with what I've rambled about there. Just like I did a couple of years back when someone started a topic focusing on Myles' supposed.. "cookie cutter".. lyrics. But I expanded my musical horizons somewhat and once you do that you quickly discover the true lyricists, so to speak, as opposed to musicians who find that part of things to be a bit more of a chore. I dunno, I'm really rambling now. Heh.

Long story short, I try to focus on Alter Bridge's strengths. Cannae wait to hear the full tune.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

I can't get over the amount people complain and nit pick on these forums. Everytime a new song comes out people are so quick to find something they don't like about it. I'm assuming AB is all of our favorite band so just enjoy the music they make. It's hard to find such a quality band that makes amazing music, especially in today's society. Just enjoy it peeps. If ya don't like it then that's fine, but more so keep it to yourself then stirring the pot on pointless debates.

Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Mister Gold »

And unsurprisingly, "My Champion" continues to sound disappointing to me. Also is it just me or does some parts of that teaser sound really reminiscent of Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone?"
"Do you believe in destiny?"

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AllC392Was wrote:I miss the way Myles sang during the ODR/ BB era. He needs to go back to a lower register. Example - Brand New Start/Wayward On. His voice is perfect.

I love his voice on ABIII and Fortress just as much particularly Ghosts of days gone by,All Hope is gone,Fortress,All ends well all with a that low register

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

JGremore wrote:I can't get over the amount people complain and nit pick on these forums. Everytime a new song comes out people are so quick to find something they don't like about it. I'm assuming AB is all of our favorite band so just enjoy the music they make. It's hard to find such a quality band that makes amazing music, especially in today's society. Just enjoy it peeps. If ya don't like it then that's fine, but more so keep it to yourself then stirring the pot on pointless debates.
If you think this is bad, you haven't seen the Download Festival (a festival that AB has played five times in their biggest market, the UK, and probably the only major festival that they may have a chance headlining one day) Forums' thoughts on AB. They are really nitpicking on everything. They state that AB look boring, or that Myles is not interesting enough, and they need flashier shows and more hits and yadda yadda yadda and that I'm getting this impression that they think AB is a bunch of greedy bastards with regards to the Fret12 stuff like the Listening Party.

This discussion here is just some healthy stuff that people make their thoughts on, in a constructive and critical manner. I mean its no different than me gripping on the whole "they keep over-relying on Blackbird songs and not having enough deeper tracks that people want to hear." People have these sorts of thoughts and they want to make their voices heard about it.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

JGremore wrote:I can't get over the amount people complain and nit pick on these forums. Everytime a new song comes out people are so quick to find something they don't like about it. I'm assuming AB is all of our favorite band so just enjoy the music they make. It's hard to find such a quality band that makes amazing music, especially in today's society. Just enjoy it peeps. If ya don't like it then that's fine, but more so keep it to yourself then stirring the pot on pointless debates.
We aren't looking for retweets from the band's twitter here and we tend to hold them to high standards. If praise isn't honest then it's kind of worthless.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I strongly, strongly disagree with this mindset. "Alter Bridge just came out with a song. Better love it."

We're allowed to be critical. In fact, I don't think we'd be true fans if we just embraced everything they did and called it a masterpiece.

If I recall correctly, that's how this board has been ever since it first started. I've been here for 8 years now, and that's how its always been. Its not like the board has gotten overly toxic over the years. You have honest fans who have honest opinions about music, and that's fine. If we can't accept that music is art, and art is 100% subject to the opinion of the beholder, then we should probably find something else to enjoy where opinions are welcomed.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I don't remember this ever being a "if you don't have anything nice to say about AB then don't say anything at all" type of place. Everyone can express their own thoughts about the band in a constructive way.

I base my dislike of the lyrics on the fact that I've seen better, not from other bands only, but from AB too. I like uplifting lyrics as much as the next person, but there's so much more to lyrics than a "rise again" type of rhyme. It's something that should get better with time, not worse. I don't expect poetry, but I do have high standards. Anybody wanna sue me?
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

I think it was My Champion that Brian said was one of his favorites. That and The Other Side, if I remember correctly.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Discussing lyrics really isn't nitpicking.
anguyen92 wrote:If you think this is bad, you haven't seen the Download Festival (a festival that AB has played five times in their biggest market, the UK, and probably the only major festival that they may have a chance headlining one day) Forums' thoughts on AB. They are really nitpicking on everything. They state that AB look boring, or that Myles is not interesting enough, and they need flashier shows and more hits and yadda yadda yadda and that I'm getting this impression that they think AB is a bunch of greedy bastards with regards to the Fret12 stuff like the Listening Party.
I think most of those are really valid points (besides them being greedy bastards). They simply are not capable of headlining Download with their current show in my opinion.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Raven wrote:
AllC392Was wrote:I miss the way Myles sang during the ODR/ BB era. He needs to go back to a lower register. Example - Brand New Start/Wayward On. His voice is perfect.

I love his voice on ABIII and Fortress just as much particularly Ghosts of days gone by,All Hope is gone,Fortress,All ends well all with a that low register

Yeah I agree!

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

But, no one has heard the song....

If you like BTC and Ghost, then you'll like this one too.
Photobucket cash grab.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Normally people are very good at detailing why they don't like a certain song or part. Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion. Yes, We all love AB or we wouldn't be here but its okay to critique and discuss.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Well, I've strongly disliked the sound of both My Champion snippets thus far; I don't like Myles' vocal tone and the lyrics are super generic as well. If I'm being truly honest, they're some of the weakest lyrics AB's ever had, but that's just my opinion.

Sounds harsh, but man I just really don't like what I've heard of it. :/

Also, none of us have to automatically be in love with new AB material just because there's new AB material. That's absurd.