Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Mister Gold
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by Mister Gold »

Jim wrote:Ya know what, after so long... I'm just glad we get SOMETHING. I'm happy to enjoy what we have right now, and as AB23 said... 7 minutes of what is looking like an hour+ of music is okay with me
Just checked the Amazon JP page for the single version of Show Me a Leader- the length listed there is 5:05, so they probably shortened the song.

I wonder if that'll be the case on iTunes too or not?
"Do you believe in destiny?"

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Mister Gold wrote:
Jim wrote:Ya know what, after so long... I'm just glad we get SOMETHING. I'm happy to enjoy what we have right now, and as AB23 said... 7 minutes of what is looking like an hour+ of music is okay with me
Just checked the Amazon JP page for the single version of Show Me a Leader- the length listed there is 5:05, so they probably shortened the song.

I wonder if that'll be the case on iTunes too or not?
Jim was referring to the 30 second snippets which added up to 7 minutes. Show Me A Leader is only 5:05 not shortened.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, looking at the wikipedia page of The Last Hero. Found some interesting stuff that we can discuss.
Napalm Records worldwide except in North America, where it will be released on the band's own vanity label.
What the heck is a vanity label and how does the band benefit being on said own vanity label? When clicking vanity label on the wiki, I'm still confused about it.

Also, this piece of info is interesting (even though we somewhat already discussed it).
The album name comes from the subject of being a hero in society. It also marks a departure from the band's previous visual and lyrical style, with the grungy aesthetic of previous albums replaced with a more streamlined logo and political lyricism.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, looking at the wikipedia page of The Last Hero. Found some interesting stuff that we can discuss.
Napalm Records worldwide except in North America, where it will be released on the band's own vanity label.
What the heck is a vanity label and how does the band benefit being on said own vanity label? When clicking vanity label on the wiki, I'm still confused about it.
Alter Bridge Recordings is a vanity label, because it is only referring to Alter Bridge and its a way for them to release their music independently in some places while still being under the parent label, which is Napalm Records in this case.
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I never felt like AB had a grungy aesthetic to their music. It always sounded very modern

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think from a visual perspective with their logo and the way the A and the E used to be fonted had that certain aesthetic and I guess ODR and Blackbird had that "post-grunge" sound that AB III, Fortress, and presumably, The Last Hero is going to depart from that and go another approach.

Nilso
Brand New Start

Post by Nilso »

I got to hear all the snippets and to be honest, This Side Of Fate, You Will Be Remembered and The Last hero were just outstanding.
Bring it

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, looking at the wikipedia page of The Last Hero. Found some interesting stuff that we can discuss.

Also, this piece of info is interesting (even though we somewhat already discussed it).
this is nothing new. I'm pretty sure they've been under Alter Bridge Recordings since ABIII when they signed with Roadrunner internationally. and I don't think the parent company has changed. it hasn't been Nepalm and don't think it is now. when it was formed in 2010 the parent company was EMI. EMI is no more and I think it may have ended up with Universal. I haven't seen anything changing who their parent company is in North America, so my guess is it's the same. Universal, or whoever took it over when EMI was sold.

article I found with info on vanity labels:
http://www.globalmusictribune.com/2015/ ... they-work/

couldn't find an official announcement, but here's the ABIII US release announcement with the mention of Alter Bridge Recordings.
http://www.alterbridge.com/news/2010-10 ... ation.aspx

EMI's wiki page. looks like it is likely Universal that's the parent company of AB Recordings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMI

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

I wish somebody had the snippets :'( After finding the Show Me A Leader snippet, I had to sleep so I could work tonight. And it was all gone :no :no :no

Can't wait for the 26th though :headbang :headbang

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

I'm late to the party as always :slam , but thanks to those who pointed out that SMaL and My Champion are still up. I love them, sooooo pumped for this album :rockon

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Stuzz wrote: If i remember, they were all quite heavy, and it was hard to judge based on just the 30 seconds, but they didn't stand out as much as a lot of the others, i'm sure they will be great when you can listen through the whole song.
Ok. Cool! Thanks!. "Loosing Patience" is the song of the moment for me right now. :P
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Instruments for The Writing on The Wall kind of reminded me of the Myles bridge riff in Farther Than The Sun, Poison In Your Veins didn't sound anything like the 'stripper rock' comparison it had in the Listening Party, and Losing Patience had some great backing vocal harmonies from Myles but nothing stood out instrumentally. Probably a verse.
Wow! That riff was quite heavy.
Myles' backing vocal harmonies have always been insane! Though I feel that Elvis makes him do way more harmonies than required, or I should say "..than I prefer". Not a very big fan of them.
Krissie wrote:I'm late to the party as always :slam , but thanks to those who pointed out that SMaL and My Champion are still up. I love them, sooooo pumped for this album :rockon
You're lucky still. Even those two are not available now.

Felypesh
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Felypesh »

SamarthJoshi wrote:
Stuzz wrote: If i remember, they were all quite heavy, and it was hard to judge based on just the 30 seconds, but they didn't stand out as much as a lot of the others, i'm sure they will be great when you can listen through the whole song.
Ok. Cool! Thanks!. "Loosing Patience" is the song of the moment for me right now. :P
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Instruments for The Writing on The Wall kind of reminded me of the Myles bridge riff in Farther Than The Sun, Poison In Your Veins didn't sound anything like the 'stripper rock' comparison it had in the Listening Party, and Losing Patience had some great backing vocal harmonies from Myles but nothing stood out instrumentally. Probably a verse.
Wow! That riff was quite heavy.
Myles' backing vocal harmonies have always been insane! Though I feel that Elvis makes him do way more harmonies than required, or I should say "..than I prefer". Not a very big fan of them.
Krissie wrote:I'm late to the party as always :slam , but thanks to those who pointed out that SMaL and My Champion are still up. I love them, sooooo pumped for this album :rockon
They are tho

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

SamarthJoshi wrote:

They are :)

SMaL
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01 ... _tlw_trk86

My Champion
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01 ... _tlw_trk74

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

:eek :eek :eek

Oooooh it sounds nice!

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Krissie wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:

They are :)

SMaL
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01 ... _tlw_trk86

My Champion
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01 ... _tlw_trk74

Oh Cool! Not sure what I was doing wrong. Thanks! :lol

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

You're very welcome :)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So.. waiting till Tuesday is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by abw1987 »

Timotheus wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:I thought it would be the intro at first, but the ending of that preview sounds like a solo.
The album opens with a creepy, clean guitar intro. I likened it to what you would get if the "Cry of Achilles" intro met the mood of the "Slip to the Void" intro. Then we are hit with a slow, heavy guitar-driven section peppered with slow, bendy leads, similar to the intro to Avenged Sevenfold's "Beast and the Harlot." - ABW's review.

Sounds like it could be this part, which is described to be the intro.
Yes, the preview is the intro! I got chills at the listening party when the first heavy guitar chord hit... and then double chills when the bendy leads started. So awesome.

I'm kind of glad the previews went down so quickly. Otherwise I'd be tempted to listen to them over and over again over the next few months, effectively wearing out those segments of each song.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Also just a note that any posts requesting/distributing rips of the previews will be removed. Given that the clips were taken down so quickly, we can assume that they were posted mistakenly by Amazon Japan, and the band doesn't want them out yet.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:So.. waiting till Tuesday is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be...
I guess you could say you're ImageLOSING PATIENCE.Image