Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:I know :lol
Trolling the troller? Trollception!

Anywho...Back on topic! :lol

81 DAYS!

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Dolo wrote:I hope the album is not as long as Wikipedia suggests. 72 minutes is far, far, far too long. I do like long songs but not lenghty albums.
Interesting. Maybe its because I grew up with $.99 singles, Limewire and playlists... but I've never been able to appreciate the idea of an album. I listen to a record from start to finish the very first time, then just choose songs I feel like hearing from there on out. An album really only gives me a sense of a timeline of their discography. ODR is their "first album", BB came after, ect. The first time I heard Come to Life seamlessly flow into Brand New Start, I thought that was pretty cool. But the album in and of itself, namely, the length, the track listing, the opener song, ect. has little relevance to me.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:
Interesting. Maybe its because I grew up with $.99 singles, Limewire and playlists... but I've never been able to appreciate the idea of an album. I listen to a record from start to finish the very first time, then just choose songs I feel like hearing from there on out. An album really only gives me a sense of a timeline of their discography. ODR is their "first album", BB came after, ect. The first time I heard Come to Life seamlessly flow into Brand New Start, I thought that was pretty cool. But the album in and of itself, namely, the length, the track listing, the opener song, ect. has little relevance to me.

I feel you man, it's gotta be a right album. I'm talking about concept records, where you have a solid, consistent subject matter which reoccurs throughout the whole album, when a particular motif is revisited in couple of different manners. Such albums are just a joy to listen to from start to finish. This is not the case in any of AB albums, they are just collections of songs. They never form a whole.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I heard whispers that they've picked a single and it'll be released in a few weeks

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Arghhh, can't we actually get some concrete news from any of the band's social media outlet, or Michael in terms of when to anticipate a new single?

\m/Tremonster\m/
White Knuckled

Post by \m/Tremonster\m/ »

Dolo wrote:I hope the album is not as long as Wikipedia suggests. 72 minutes is far, far, far too long. I do like long songs but not lenghty albums.
I would actually love that length. Alter Bridge nails the long songs.

Also says that the last song is 8 minutes.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

anguyen92 wrote:Arghhh, can't we actually get some concrete news from any of the band's social media outlet, or Michael in terms of when to anticipate a new single?
Probably but I think they are setting up things now. Takes time to promote and such first before telling the public

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
phatnonphatness wrote:I gotta be honest. That cover looks real strange. Doesn't suit Alter Bridge at all, and there's absolutely no subtlety.

Also, if the track listing on wikipedia is accurate, I'm stoked that there are a lot of songs in excess of 6 minutes. Hope it's an indication of something good.
:lol you think Wikipedia would have reliable information this early? There's no way thats the official song lengths. They even said themselves there's nothing shorter than 4-4.5 minutes and one of those "3 minute songs" was said to be 6mins plus by AB :lol Damn wiki trolls.
My bad, I don't come around here often before an album release to avoid spoilers and previews. Just assumed someone already had the track listing and put it on Wikipedia.

But just to be clear, you're saying the song lengths are likely to be longer than what's written on Wiki? Because that's even better. I do recall one of the interviews from the last couple months where they mentioned a lot of 6 minute songs.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

phatnonphatness wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
phatnonphatness wrote:I gotta be honest. That cover looks real strange. Doesn't suit Alter Bridge at all, and there's absolutely no subtlety.

Also, if the track listing on wikipedia is accurate, I'm stoked that there are a lot of songs in excess of 6 minutes. Hope it's an indication of something good.
:lol you think Wikipedia would have reliable information this early? There's no way thats the official song lengths. They even said themselves there's nothing shorter than 4-4.5 minutes and one of those "3 minute songs" was said to be 6mins plus by AB :lol Damn wiki trolls.
My bad, I don't come around here often before an album release to avoid spoilers and previews. Just assumed someone already had the track listing and put it on Wikipedia.

But just to be clear, you're saying the song lengths are likely to be longer than what's written on Wiki? Because that's even better. I do recall one of the interviews from the last couple months where they mentioned a lot of 6 minute songs.
That's okay! I understand the intention :)

Well I mean to take what Mark said in the pre-listening party interview and summarize: he said the shortest were 4-4:30, lots of 5 min ones, longest were 6:45ish. So anything not in those time gaps are probably BS. :)

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Ahh I see, thanks for that :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

phatnonphatness wrote:Ahh I see, thanks for that :)
You're welcome! Sorry if I crushed your hopes for longer songs! :/ I would have liked an 8min song on this record too :) just no 2-3 min ones like they also suggested :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

AB and Opeth are releasing albums just a week apart from one another. I'm gonna have these two records on repeat by turns.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

What's the difference though if we already know it's probably only 11-12 tracks long?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I guess if you listen to a long album end-to-end it can grow tiresome by the end as it all starts to sound the same. Remember the Cauterize/Dust listening party? The songs were fantastic, but I was kind of overloaded by the end. It's much more palatable listening to the albums individually. They might seem short at 10 songs each, but I think they're still within the sweet spot.

But of course I don't always listen to albums end-to-end, so I'm always glad to have more material to listen to in total.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

abw1987 wrote:I guess if you listen to a long album end-to-end it can grow tiresome by the end as it all starts to sound the same. Remember the Cauterize/Dust listening party? The songs were fantastic, but I was kind of overloaded by the end. It's much more palatable listening to the albums individually. They might seem short at 10 songs each, but I think they're still within the sweet spot.

But of course I don't always listen to albums end-to-end, so I'm always glad to have more material to listen to in total.
I've never understood this. For me, the shorter the album, the more/faster it repeats. Wears the album out quicker. I think that's why I listened to ABIII for the longest after initial release.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Average song length is 5 minutes...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

yep. I tallied it out (people gave me an approximation of how long the total album was) and I came out to like 5:19 or something

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Damn... That excites me, I love their longer tracks!

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

The wiki page for TLH has been changed, and those new track lengths seem like they could be quite close (or right)? I would be extremely happy with that many songs around 6 minutes haha.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I also listen to ABIII in its entirety most the time. That album is a journey.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23