Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Re: ABV named "The Last Hero"

Post by rockit2112 »

benjoAB wrote:You can't base anything on the first listen at the listening party, not the right surroundings at all! Wait until the cd version comes out and take it all in
This is very true, one thing I personally missed was trying to get a feel for the production value. Maybe the production played a part in it, maybe it was the venue, but other than the music itself the record sounded very "metal" to me. Just imagine how different a song like FTR or Watch Your Words would sound with Fortress's production.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Surprised to hear about the lack of ballads, but I'm not particularly disappointed. I know some of the reviews criticised Fortress for being monotonous so I hope the album as a whole isn't monotonous.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Headline tour in January is what heard. Things can always change, but that is likely what they're working on.
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ I always keep thinking they are going to do a headline tour in January since they got Shiprocked in January as well. It's not like it makes sense to do a one-off in that setting and not do a tour.

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

Would make sense that the tour would start in the South/East knowing they're doing Shiprocked

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

oh by the way is anyone doing shiprocked? Is it worth going?

If they only perform one time on the cruise, it may provide ample opportunity to have a conversation with them or something? Or are the bands like flown in on a chopper or something idk

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

The Last Hero is a sick album title. That is all.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

abw1987 wrote:The Last Hero is a sick album title. That is all.
Agreed.

Stace
Bought The CDs

Post by Stace »

Still no "like" button....

Not really a fan of the artwork or the font change.... but hey, that's not what this is about anyway. I am ready for the music. It is time.

It is interesting, as previously pointed out, that fans can become so divisive when we're all listening to the same thing.

Whassup to those I know, howdy to the rest of you. Let's all strap in and enjoy the ride :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

The OG members who don't visit as often are like unicorns to me! :wave

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Stace wrote:Still no "like" button....

Not really a fan of the artwork or the font change.... but hey, that's not what this is about anyway. I am ready for the music. It is time.

It is interesting, as previously pointed out, that fans can become so divisive when we're all listening to the same thing.

Whassup to those I know, howdy to the rest of you. Let's all strap in and enjoy the ride :)

stace in the house. We used to rock the BCD threads eh?

Stace
Bought The CDs

Post by Stace »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:The OG members who don't visit as often are like unicorns to me! :wave

lmao

:humina

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Stace wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:The OG members who don't visit as often are like unicorns to me! :wave

lmao

:humina
Scarred for life.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

After reading a few comments on here I'm getting the feeling the next album will be a bit divisive amongst the fans. I myself wanted to hear the band perhaps return to the ODR sound a bit, but it seems they're really going all in with the heavy stuff this time around and it seems that's all mark is interested in now perhaps. I mean, that's fair. I'll give it an honest shake. AB and myles have yet to let me down. But I thought Tremonti existed as the place for him to vent all his heavy stuff out so AB could be more balanced?

Anyways, the title is nice. I don't really like the album(?) art. Looks like a Target exclusive album or something.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I think Tremonti will always be the "speed metal" stuff, with more pronounced double bass, the tighter rhythm section,while AB will maintain groove with the heaviness, but i havent heard the album so I could be wrong. I just hope the line doesnt get too grey. Tremonti should be Tremonti, AB should be AB. I hope there's still a lot of atmospheric stuff on TLH.
Thanks Timo!

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

Stace wrote:Still no "like" button....

Good to see you again, Stace. I'm trying to start posting here again too. I usually just been poking in here and there for any news.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

rockit2112 wrote:
benjoAB wrote:You can't base anything on the first listen at the listening party, not the right surroundings at all! Wait until the cd version comes out and take it all in
This is very true, one thing I personally missed was trying to get a feel for the production value. Maybe the production played a part in it, maybe it was the venue, but other than the music itself the record sounded very "metal" to me. Just imagine how different a song like FTR or Watch Your Words would sound with Fortress's production.
Good point.

Is it possible to make an album today and make it sound like a classic rock album (like how they sounded back in the 60s, 70's whenever)? Would it be possible with the right instruments, amps, studio, etc?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yo Stace!
nagpo wrote:After reading a few comments on here I'm getting the feeling the next album will be a bit divisive amongst the fans. I myself wanted to hear the band perhaps return to the ODR sound a bit, but it seems they're really going all in with the heavy stuff this time around and it seems that's all mark is interested in now perhaps.
Yeah I think folks would be better off letting go of that ODR dream. Mark said himself during the Facebook Q&A that he sees Alter Bridge has having two eras: ODR/Blackbird (with Blackbird moving in the direction of their second era), followed by ABIII/Fortress/TLH.
austinjhnsn wrote:I think Tremonti will always be the "speed metal" stuff, with more pronounced double bass, the tighter rhythm section,while AB will maintain groove with the heaviness, but i havent heard the album so I could be wrong. I just hope the line doesnt get too grey. Tremonti should be Tremonti, AB should be AB. I hope there's still a lot of atmospheric stuff on TLH.
You've got the right idea. There will always be that distinction between the two bands.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

abw1987 wrote:Yeah I think folks would be better off letting go of that ODR dream. Mark said himself during the Facebook Q&A that he sees Alter Bridge has having two eras: ODR/Blackbird (with Blackbird moving in the direction of their second era), followed by ABIII/Fortress/TLH.
This is kinda frustrating considering that they still rely on that first era so much live. I'm not complaining about the setlist of the listening party here, but in general. Mark also said that he prefers the AB III/Fortress/Last Hero era. You really wouldn't say that when you look at their setlists.

I get that he kinda has to say that to promote the new album and make a point that the albums are getting better, but you can tell he's not being completely honest about it. Blackbird is clearly the album they all love the most.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It is surprising that they've apparently gone so heavy this time round, I swear I remember Mark mentioning in the little interview bits and pieces we got previously that it was going to have "something for everyone" and more on the anthem-y side again.
For all of the hope that it brings...