Which AB song is the most legendary?(not counting Blackbird)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Zepplin had Stairway to heaven, guns n roses had sweet child o mine.....

And if u dont think any of their songs are legendary, well then which song is MOST legendary?

Please, give real answers here, and not some nonsense like:

"OMG! Coming Home ftw!"

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Which AB song is the most legendary?(not counting Blackb

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I honestly believe it is Words Darker Than Their Wings. That song was so masterful, and unlike anything AB had done at the time. Maybe it didn't necessarily catch on with the public except the diehards (probably because they haven't played it live), but to me it stands out more than any other.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

EDITED For being to haste to post :lol

In all seriousness, if you're asking me to pick which AB song is the most legendary, that's like asking which of my favorite children can I label as the most favorite. They're already all legendary, Blackbird or not, so I can't come up with a concrete answer.

Blackbird
WDTTW
COA
Fortress
Wayward One
NWTL
TEIH
SMAS
CTF
STTV
Burn It Down

These are all 'legendary' songs IMO. But not one is more legendary than the next :shrug
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Coming Home is a great song.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote:Coming Home is a great song.
And this is also, true! I just didn't want to say it right away :lol The Bridge is soo good in that song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Really depends on what you mean with legendary. Songs like Cry of Achilles, Fortress, The End Is Here and Words Darker Than Their Wings have that legendary/epic vibe, but don't get recognized enough to have that legendary status in my opinion.

If Sweet Child O Mine's GNR's most legendary song to you, you might mean most recognizable. In that case I'd go with Metalingus, Rise Today, Open Your Eyes or Isolation.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I always thought Broken Wings was their masterpiece.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

none of them are legendary if you go by the layman's definition of legendary. AB is our favorite band, but they are by no means a legendary band.

What do we think is their coup de gras? Blackbird and Achilles I think.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote:none of them are legendary if you go by the layman's definition of legendary. AB is our favorite band, but they are by no means a legendary band.
Agreed.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Open Your Eyes.

It was the first one I heard and it may be their most famous.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

timo should i make some sort of plaque indicating the date and time you agreed with me

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote:timo should i make some sort of plaque indicating the date and time you agreed with me
I'd say yes, but agreeing with you twice in a row would be a bit too much, wouldn't it?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

AB23 summed it up pretty well.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:I always thought Broken Wings was their masterpiece.
This song rarely gets the respect it deserves.

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Broken Wings
Words Darker Than Their Wings

Something about wings...

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Blackbird should count dude..

enjoying Fortress a lot too
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

Well it depends what is meant by legendary - which the original post never elaborates on.

If it's just which song do you like the best then there's no reason "Coming Home" can't be the most "legendary" song after Blackbird - or even above Blackbird.

But to make this something other than "What's your favourite Alter Bridge song?", I'm assuming based on discounting Blackbird and the examples for other bands that it was intended as something more than that. Blackbird is definitely Alter Bridge's most "legendary" song; it's epic, it's the fan favourite, band favourite, it's the title track from the ablum that really put them where they wanted to be as a band (even though ODR was good too), it is a live staple and one of the favourites, it has achievements like winning those online polls ( :shifty ) and it has a well known backstory. Plus it's one of the best songs of all time to boot. Whether or not it's one of your personal favourites (or even close to it), it's impossible to deny it has achieved a practically monolithic status among Alter Bridge songs, such that a thread like this has to come with a "discounting Blackbird" qualifier to be even worthy of discussion.

So which song comes closest to reaching that status after Blackbird? Personally I am going to have to discount a song like Words Darker Than Their Wings which I see has been mentioned here a few times; I love the song (it'd be in my top 10 AB songs I reckon, though I haven't tried to hash out a ranking in a while), it has a really cool epic vibe that is quite similar to Blackbird in a way, and it has the unique introduction of Tremonti on lead vocals. But while I don't think it should be a straight popularity contest, to be the next most "legendary" Alter Bridge song you need to have some kind of status. WDTTW is a song the band never even played live, it is well liked but I would say it is a little bit of an obscure song; I don't get the impression it is a huge fan favourite or a particularly recognisable song for the band (as in you think Alter Bridge, you think ____). Similarly I would discount other personal favourites of mine like Ties That Bind or The End Is Here - they are also somewhat notable Alter Bridge songs and among the best in my opinion, but we are talking "most legendary" here and unfortunately I just don't think they have enough going for them to claim that title.

So what songs are among the "most legendary"? Well here are a few contenders that I would consider (and note these aren't necessarily ones I like best - I much prefer WDTTW, Ties That Bind, The End Is Here above a lot of these):

- Open Your Eyes: Their first single, one of their most well known, it has that audience participation moment that is a pretty memorable feature of their concerts, and the solo is arguably Mark Tremonti unleashed for the first time and helped establish what Alter Bridge would be all about though. I think it has a little bit of the feel of being from a time when they were still trying to shake off the "Creed with a new singer" image though.

- Metalingus: One of the codifiers for heavy Alter Bridge, a great song and another live staple. This one is mainly here due to the wide exposure from being the Edge's theme; if it was purely a question of which of the band's songs was most widely known then this might be a frontrunner.

- In Loving Memory: The classic emotional ballad, this one is a definite fan favourite and I think holds a unique place for a lot of people and has a special status amongst Alter Bridge songs. I think it's hard to compare it with the rest of their songs - it does its own very specific, simple thing very well, and if you want that there is nothing better.

- Watch Over You: Another ballad, this one I think has become their classic accoustic song live and one of their most well known. It obviously competes with In Loving Memory and maybe Wonderful Life for the status of most notable ballad, but I think it trumps Wonderful Life for notability and is perhaps a bit less one note than In Loving Memory. If you showcase the soft side of Alter Bridge this is probably the song you go for, and it has long been used as the showcase for Myles performing accoustically - and occasionally including guest female vocalists. I don't think another Alter Bridge song has been given as many different treatments.

- Shlip To The Void: That intro. One of the best and most memorable moments from Alter Bridge, both live and on the album. Often used as an opener or as an encore opener due to how good for it it is. The song itself is one of their most unique, and rather than WDTTW I think this is the most talked about and "legendary" song from AB III.

- Cry Of Achilles: And now we come to my pick for most legendary song after Blackbird (coincidentally I would probably put this as the #2 AB song behind Blackbird too ;) ). Maybe it needs a bit more time and another album / tour cycle to be fair, but this song was without a doubt the most "legendary" song from Fortress (one of the best, the most talked about, the fan and band favourite). Like Slip To The Void it serves as an extremely memorable intro to the album, and it is obviously one of the songs the band was most keen to play live - and fans were most keen to hear. It definitely has an epic vibe, it is one of their most unique songs, and just like people often talk about "another Blackbird" (whether hoping for a song of that quality, discussing a song's standing, or lamenting that the band is trying to recapture a particularly successful song) I can see people in the future thinking in terms of "another Cry Of Achilles".

Like I said, Fortress is still the most recent album so maybe this one needs to stand the test of time a little bit; it could be that in a few years Cry Of Achilles is just another great song, well liked among the fans but not particularly notable compared to the most famous songs. But a bit like Blackbird this one shot up to the upper echelons of most popular and notable AB songs purely on the back of its incredible quality, I think it is one of the bands favourite songs and in time I can see it settling into a secondary "legendary" status behind Blackbird.

I missed out some other very well known songs such as the lead singles from the other albums (Rise Today, Isolation, Addicted To Pain), just because I think while they might have a tad more exposure to the mainstream audience and are obviously well known to fans, they don't really trump the ODR single Open Your Eyes (in the case of Rise Today) or pseudo-single Metalingus (for Isolation and Addicted To Pain). Other classics from the first album like Find The Real and Broken Wings are up there in status too, but even if I think both of them are better than, say, Open Your Eyes, I find it hard to make the case that they could be considered the most legendary of Alter Bridge songs after Blackbird. There are also plenty of other songs well recognised among the fanbase as being great, and my own personal favourites that I know are perhaps a little more obscure... but I've tried to restrict it to only what I think are genuine contenders for "most legendary".

My pick for now though (which might be a bit preemptive since it is still relatively fresh) is Cry Of Achilles. Second in quality, second in legendary status in the band's legacy because of that. If not Cry Of Achilles then I think the other songs I listed are top contenders.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

For me it's between The End Is Here and Burn It Down. I'll go with Burn It Down. Rarely gets the respect it deserves.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

Surprised Water's Rising hasn't been mentioned. Everything about that song is amazing.
Fortress is a pretty stellar journey as well.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

It's Blackbird.
You can't bring up Stairway and Sweet Child and not allow Blackbird to be AB's..

It's Blackbird