Alter Bridge Listening party

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Alter Bridge Listening party

Post by Ubik »

I moan about setlists all the time, but it's literally the least interesting thing possible to talk about at the moment.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Because it was, quite literally, a listening party for the 5th album. The show was a nice throw in.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

chtimixeur wrote:Why make an effort then, if the fans think it's perfectly OK...
they just presented 14 new songs they worked on.. yeah.. no effort.. they put on a nice show.. yeah.. no effort.. they wont be playing new songs until the album drops... true.. would been nice if they added an older song.. though mainly when AB creates a setlist every member chooses some songs they like to play.. and then they talkit over to see if it all is feaable within the strain on the voice etc..

and what i heard the energy levels were off the charts, especially for a performance in the US.. i heard nothing but good from the people who were there.. but yes.. i greatly understand why YOU are happy you did NOT pay 250 and dit NOT attend the LP and did NOT get to hear the 14 new songs and did NOT get a nice experience..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Would I have preferred Fortress or a new song over Before Tomorrow Comes? Absolutely. But I loved every second of that concert. Every single person was into the show.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I'm kinda with chtimixeur on this one. Diehards might have seen the band numerous times so they are used to the same, hackneyed setlist and it'd be cool if the guys could play something interesting once in a while, especially since they are quite fresh and the tour hasn't started yet (maybe expect for Mark who has been touring quite recently, but now Myles does the singing).
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

From what I understand, they only had like 3 days to rehearse for an hours worth of material. While Burn It Down, Shed My Skin or another deep cut would have been nice, do you realize how hard it is to get songs like Achilles or Blackbird right after being apart for nearly two years? Good on the band for putting on a rocking set (even if it WAS setlist staples) on 3 days rehearsal.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@axlar : you did not answer me.
See, your message is way more aggressive towards me that I was aggresive/negative towards the band.
I know you're a true die hard that thinks everything they do is amazing. Why not, after all, I understand passion.
I just think it would have been a nice gift for those fans who had spent lots of money (ticket & travelling) for that listening party & show. They're not some casual fan who only knows the greatest hits that play on the radio. They know every lyric to every song, and AB is more than "just a band" for them.
Some of those fans would have lost if if they had played a rarity from the first 2 albums, that's all I'm saying.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

that's because you edited your original message that probably made people react this way, so anyone reading this after the fact has no clue.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

sorry if you felt attacked.

yes it would have been a nice bonus.. but they shouldn't be called stubborn for creating a setlist compromised of songs they enjoy playing, as that is how they create their setlist.. they choose songs they enjoy to play..

A missed opportunity for not playing less or non played songs,.. perhaps.. though it was a listening party which included the addition of an intimate performance, which i think was more than expected for them to do a full set, as i figured they would do only a handful of songs.. so that was an added bonus that is was a complete setlist (which in hindsight is also a good choice as they are about to hit the road with 'the last fortress' tour (as they wont play any new songs until the single or album hits).
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Blackbird wrote:especially the US army which has a rich history of not "defending" their country but rather killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people for stupid reasons.
So kinda like your Military in the 40s.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

mitch103 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:especially the US army which has a rich history of not "defending" their country but rather killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people for stupid reasons.
I thought the same thing lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

axlar wrote:sorry if you felt attacked.

yes it would have been a nice bonus.. but they shouldn't be called stubborn for creating a setlist compromised of songs they enjoy playing, as that is how they create their setlist.. they choose songs they enjoy to play..

A missed opportunity for not playing less or non played songs,.. perhaps.. though it was a listening party which included the addition of an intimate performance, which i think was more than expected for them to do a full set, as i figured they would do only a handful of songs.. so that was an added bonus that is was a complete setlist (which in hindsight is also a good choice as they are about to hit the road with 'the last fortress' tour (as they wont play any new songs until the single or album hits).
I'm sure they just played the songs they played for the sole purpose of it being a warmup show for their first tour together in 2 years. They were taking advantage of the live setting to really nail down the songs they probably intend to play this upcoming tour.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Im a little intrigued in the lack of ballad type songs. They always talk about dynamics in the album. This sounds like its just full throttle all the way through.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

wait is that dude who doesn't like the US military german? omg. the hypocrisy

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

mitch103 wrote:
Yep. That's why I'm not proud of our military, or of my country, because I know that its history makes it ridiculous to be proud of it.

It's no different with the US though. The country basically only exists because the first settlers killed all the natives, and there's no country in the world that was responsible for the deaths of nearly as much people as the US killed since WW2 (and that excludes Hiroshima and Nagasaki). What bugs me is that most Germans are sensitive enough to not have a bunch of national pride while most Americans don't seem to have those skills, and being proud of their military is part of that.

Back to topic, and concerning the ballad thing - I was kinda shocked when I first read that as well, but honestly, if there's one band that's capable of writing epic heavy songs that's Alter Bridge, which is why having no real ballad on an album probably is perfectly fine.
Last edited by Blackbird on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

axlar wrote:sorry if you felt attacked.

No hard feelings.
You summed it up : it would have been a nice bonus.
It's not every day you play for your die hard fans (once every 3 years), that's just what I was saying.
I won't annoy you guys any more on that subject, since we're here to talk about the content of the album after all.
Thanks to everyone who posted a review by the way :cheers

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Blackbird wrote:
mitch103 wrote:
Yep. That's why I'm not proud of our military, or of my country, because I know that its history makes it ridiculous to be proud of it.

It's no different with the US though. The country basically only exists because the first settlers killed all the natives, and there's no country in the world that was responsible for the deaths of nearly as much people as the US killed since WW2 (and that excludes Hiroshima and Nagasaki). What bugs me is that most Germans are sensitive enough to not have a bunch of national pride while most Americans don't seem to have those skills, and being proud of their military is part of that.

Back to topic, and concerning the ballad thing - I was kinda shocked when I first read that as well, but honestly, if there's one band that's capable of writing epic heavy songs that's Alter Bridge, which is why having no real ballad on an album probably is perfectly fine.
Why would you blame the US military for this? That's downright silly. You're pointing your fingers at the wrong group.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

AB23 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:
mitch103 wrote:

Why would you blame the US military for this? That's downright silly. You're pointing your fingers at the wrong group.
Yeah, of course the soldiers don't make those decisions, but they enforce them, right? That's not really better.

It's not only about the military of course, but being proud of one's country's military is a part of being proud of the country itself, I guess, and that's something I can't understand for countries like Germany or the United States.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

They make an oath to the constitution to fight for us, many times unwillingly, and die for us. Just because they take pride in our country's flags and ideals.

Its not that we're proud of our country JUST BECAUSE of them. Its that we're proud of our country THROUGH their actions and bravery.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

AB23 wrote:They make an oath to the constitution to fight for us, many times unwillingly, and die for us. Just because they take pride in our country's flags and ideals.

Its not that we're proud of our country JUST BECAUSE of them. Its that we're proud of our country THROUGH their actions and bravery.
Yeah, guess I simply don't understand that. ^^ It's useless to discuss about it anyway, let's not turn this topic into something completely unrelated to AB. ;)