Alter Bridge Listening party

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Alter Bridge Listening party

Post by Blackbird »

cheesedip1 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Mad props to Ashlee and abw for those extensive reviews! That really got the hype train rolling for me even more than it already was anyway!

I'm a little bit worried about the overall theme of the album, and especially You Will Be Remembered because I'm a huge opponent of glorifying the military, especially the US army which has a rich history of not "defending" their country but rather killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people for stupid reasons, and it makes me kinda sad that my favourite band is a bunch of patriots, but hell, I love those guys anyway and their music is the best thing in the world.

You can support the troops and yet disagree with some of the military's actions at the same time. The two arent mutually exclusive.
Yeah, sure you can, it's more about that "they are heroes" thing, because soldiers that do offensive wars aren't heroes for me, they're murderers.

EDIT: But this doesn't have to do anything with AB anymore, so we should probably get back to topic. :)

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Blackbird wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Mad props to Ashlee and abw for those extensive reviews! That really got the hype train rolling for me even more than it already was anyway!

I'm a little bit worried about the overall theme of the album, and especially You Will Be Remembered because I'm a huge opponent of glorifying the military, especially the US army which has a rich history of not "defending" their country but rather killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people for stupid reasons, and it makes me kinda sad that my favourite band is a bunch of patriots, but hell, I love those guys anyway and their music is the best thing in the world.

You can support the troops and yet disagree with some of the military's actions at the same time. The two arent mutually exclusive.
Yeah, sure you can, it's more about that "they are heroes" thing, because soldiers that do offensive wars aren't heroes for me, they're murderers.

EDIT: But this doesn't have to do anything with AB anymore, so we should probably get back to topic. :)
----War isn't always justified, but sometimes it is. Sometimes war is a must. (Revoluntionary War)

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to Cradle to the Grave. Sounds very not-upbeat. Right up my alley.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

abw1987 wrote:7. Losing Patience - Don't ask me why, but apparently the intro sounds like suddenly being attached by a swarm of bees. The verse is has a downbeat, lost feeling, almost as if lamenting the circumstances in a fallen Soviet state.
Now THIS is how you describe a new song :D

Thanks for the reviews, Ashee and ABW. I thoroughly enjoyed both!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

Timotheus wrote:
abw1987 wrote:7. Losing Patience - Don't ask me why, but apparently the intro sounds like suddenly being attached by a swarm of bees. The verse is has a downbeat, lost feeling, almost as if lamenting the circumstances in a fallen Soviet state.
Now THIS is how you describe a new song :D

Thanks for the reviews, Ashee and ABW. I thoroughly enjoyed both!
Seconded. They're the best 2 sentences I've ever read! Haha :lol

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Thank you Ash and Alex! :)
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

abw1987 wrote:7. Losing Patience - The verse has a downbeat, lost feeling, almost as if lamenting the circumstances in a fallen Soviet state.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Another thing that I found interesting was that AB has not 1 but 3 or 4 first single options this time around... Yes there are those long songs that we all love but I do believe that they took 1/3 of the album for single purposes.

Even in the Q&A they weren't sure as what the single would be and in the past it was pretty clear.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

abw1987 wrote: or maybe even something out of Five Finger Death Punch.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :slam
---
The rest of the review really makes me want to listen to the new album. I really hope it is completely different to Fortress which I liked but somehow gave away lots of its potential. Maybe this time it will be finally the big step AB was supposed to achieve with Fortress.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

Why hasn't anyone said which song they voted for to be the next single?

Thanks for all of the reviews, it's fun reading your opinions. I am jealous.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Vaux wrote:Why hasn't anyone said which song they voted for to be the next single?
True.. Let's ask them

Ashlee.. Alex.. Ryan.. Zaz.. Greg.. C3PO..????

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lol, I love it when people freak out when comparisons are made with bands or genres they don't like.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Awesome stuff again abw!
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i'm just letting you know that this is a stupid opinion.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Just looking forward to finding out what song has the word "forevermore" in it..... It's like a Myles/Tremonti thing to have that word spoken on their ablums

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

abw1987 wrote:Alter Bridge took the stage shortly after The Last Hero ended. I'm sure others have posted the setlist by now, but it was a fairly standard mix of AB staples. I was hoping they'd pull out some old rarities for the die-hards in attendance or at least play some new tracks, but it really didn't matter.
I feel for the fans who spent 250 dollars and got a boring and predictable setlist.
In a way, I understand why the band won't play "rarities" for big audiences, but the die hard fans deserve better.
How hard was it to rehearse at least 1 or 2 songs that haven't been played in ages for those dedicated fans ?
Why is the band so stubborn about their setlist choices ?
This is definitely a missed opportunity.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

chtimixeur wrote:
abw1987 wrote:Alter Bridge took the stage shortly after The Last Hero ended. I'm sure others have posted the setlist by now, but it was a fairly standard mix of AB staples. I was hoping they'd pull out some old rarities for the die-hards in attendance or at least play some new tracks, but it really didn't matter.
I feel for the fans who spent 250 dollars and got a boring and predictable setlist.
In a way, I understand why the band won't play "rarities" for big audiences, but the die hard fans deserve better.
How hard was it to rehearse at least 1 or 2 songs that haven't been played in ages for those dedicated fans ?
Why is the band so stubborn about their setlist choices ?
This is definitely a missed opportunity.
people paid 250 to hear the album before anyone else, and got the added bonus of an initimate show and a meet and greet..

PS Have you ever, ever posted a comment without a negative tone or something you think you know better or think should be handled different?! It's getting pretty old by now...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Dude I would've paid 250 to hear the album before everyone else and have the opportunity to post reviews.

Yolo

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

@axlar : so you think it's perfectly normal to play a predictable setlist with 0 rarity when your crowd is 100% composed of die hard fans who have seen you again and again over the years ?
Last edited by chtimixeur on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

if its the first time you've played together in like 2 years? Ya

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Why make an effort then, if the fans think it's perfectly OK...