ABV tour date(s).

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: ABV tour date(s).

Post by VigilantSteve »

anguyen92 wrote:
PRS10Top wrote:Those bands are a little outdated, don't you think? Can we wear jean shorts and stop by Blockbuster on the way to the concert? :P
Perhaps they may be a bit outdated (their prime was about 10 years before Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed broke through, sure), but they do seem to have a sound that could be the predecessor to the sound that AB is now known for, I think.

Plus, I think the forum support would be a bit more for that tour than that tour with the "generic modern radio hard rock" bands (I don't mind those bands).
Eh, while I would personally enjoy Soundgarden or AiC more, I think AB's heavier songs sound much more closely like Disturbed or BB style modern rock than the grungy sounds of Soundgarden and AiC.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

PRS10Top wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:All right, you know on second thought. AB getting an opening slot for a tour like Soundgarden/Alice in Chains, if it ever happens, would be a much better fit for them.
Those bands are a little outdated, don't you think? Can we wear jean shorts and stop by Blockbuster on the way to the concert? :P

hahaha welcome to the board.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I just saw Breaking Benjamin in November, and they were amazing. Both headlining bands have better stage shows and a bigger fan base than AB does. AB being support to both of them is a no-brainer to me. And even though they won't be headlining, look at it from the standpoint that AB will FINALLY be playing shows in the US in front of 5k - 7k people instead of 1k - 3k people. I don't see AB growing their audience in the US by being a headliner when the opening acts are bands like Wilson and Monster Truck. I mean seriously, who goes to a show to see those bands? I'm glad they're finally getting on a US tour with popular bands.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ryan wrote:
Dolo wrote:Never ever have I written about which one of them I perceived 'better'. I just find it ankward that both Disturbed and BB were basically unactive for a long time while AB released some of their best work and still they have to play the role of a support band.
Disturbed just released an album in August of 2015 (5 months ago).
BB released an album in June of 2015 (7 months ago).
AB released an album in October of 2013 (27 months ago).

Plus, AB is smaller here in the US.
I'm not talking about the current situation, but the fact that they didn't release anything while AB did so. Disturbed inactive 2011-2015, BB inactive 2010-2015, whereas AB released 2 records 2010-2015 and is going to have a third one by the time the tour arrives.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

In that time period, AB did nothing at all (no tours, no studio stuff, no album) for probably 2.5 years.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Dolo wrote:Never ever have I written about which one of them I perceived 'better'. I just find it ankward that both Disturbed and BB were basically unactive for a long time while AB released some of their best work and still they have to play the role of a support band.

I'm not talking about the current situation, but the fact that they didn't release anything while AB did so. Disturbed inactive 2011-2015, BB inactive 2010-2015, whereas AB released 2 records 2010-2015 and is going to have a third one by the time the tour arrives.
That's because both bands were massively popular before going on hiatus. This is why bands that go on reunion tours are able to sell a lot of tickets. You don't have to remain active to be popular, you just have to be well liked. Alter Bridge has never reached a level of popularity quite like either of these bands have in the US. Disturbed is headlining one of the nights at ROTR, one of if not the biggest US rock festival.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:These bands are just not the type of bands I'd like to associate Alter Bridge with.
I just saw this quote. Well, Timo, what type of bands would you like to see associate AB with that can get them on a summer amphitheater/arena bill?
Guns N' Roses :D

Realistically? I think a band like Avenged Sevenfold would be a really good scenario. They're even bigger than Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin and have more in common with Alter Bridge. Those grunge bands you mentioned would be great. Queens Of The Stone Age, System of a Down, Deftones, Mastodon.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Timotheus wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:These bands are just not the type of bands I'd like to associate Alter Bridge with.
I just saw this quote. Well, Timo, what type of bands would you like to see associate AB with that can get them on a summer amphitheater/arena bill?
Guns N' Roses :D

Realistically? I think a band like Avenged Sevenfold would be a really good scenario. They're even bigger than Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin and have more in common with Alter Bridge. Those grunge bands you mentioned would be great. Queens Of The Stone Age, System of a Down, Deftones, Mastodon.
I would certainly like to see them with Avenged Sevenfold too. However, here in the U.S. (and maybe I'm wrong here) I believe that both Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin are significantly more popular.

Agreed on Guns N' Roses 100% though.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Dolo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

It doesn't actually matter in USA when band's release songs and albums. It's a popularity contest, as the country is SO large; the general population of music fans are quite fickle and attach themselves to what is in their ears that day or week, things that sound familiar. They bend and follow what's popular regardless of release dates and tenure. In USA; Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin, just like Shinedown and FFDP have a large following regardless of what album they just put out. Sure, that helps if there's something to promote at the time but I've found that in USA if a band isn't a household name or have millions of YouTube views; they don't pull the big crowds. It's just how it goes there.. Alter Bridge have shot themselves in the foot by making the band part time, shelving it while Tremonti and Slash have had free reign for the last 4/5 years. If Alter Bridge had been a full time band throughout the whole time theyve been a band then they'd be up there headlining these shows and festivals.

That's the fact of it, really. No offence American fans, but your country is SO large; you can't help but have your favourite bands struggling for airplay and promotion and tours. I mean every state is segregated HEAVILY into genres and counties and regions and towns and radio stations and regional TV stations. There's no chance for part time bands to get anywhere.. Unlike over here in the UK and Europe where we just have VERY minimal avenues of promotion so the best music (Alter Bridge) stays with us longer.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, I see people posting how they've just heard AB on the radio and they play them a lot where they live, back east more, and out here in LA I NEVER hear AB on the radio and NEVER have.
Photobucket cash grab.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Ryan wrote:Yeah, I see people posting how they've just heard AB on the radio and they play them a lot where they live, back east more, and out here in LA I NEVER hear AB on the radio and NEVER have.
I have only heard AB on the radio TWICE. Once when "Open Your Eyes" first debuted, and once back when "Isolation" was released and on the charts. Never heard them play it more than once each. "Open Your Eyes" on the local Pittsburgh alt rock station, where it got panned afterwards by the DJ and listeners for sounding too much like Creed (and the Creed/Scott Stapp "hate" was definitely in full force back then), "Isolation" was on a really small local Rock station that plays classic rock 90% of the time with a little bit of modern rock mixed in on occasion.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

VigilantSteve wrote:There's a Pittsburgh date!!!! I finally will get a chance to see AB! My day is made!
You've been a fan for a while haven't you? I live in WV and I've seen them like 5 times. Have you just not been able to make it to their shows nearby?

Saw them in Pittsburgh back in like 04/05, @ Penn State supporting 3DD and Shinedown in like 05ish, @ROTR in 08?, on Carnival of Madness tour in Huntington in 2011 and then traveled to Baltimore to see them in 2013 or 2014. They've definitely came close, granted they won't play many IN WV.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

SiriusXM Octane seems to play them the most, but with them it's even few and far between. They were good about it when Fortress came out, though.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

:facepalm Listened to Octane earlier, Kayla had Ben from Breaking Benjamin and David Draiman from Disturbed on talking about the tour. One of them made a comment about being indestructible (which I guess is Disturbed's new album maybe?) and they joked about how that was a subtle plug. Then, Kayla said something along the lines of "well you mentioned things coming full circle, and that's an Alter Bridge album, so you guys have been unintentionally plugging this tour this whole interview"... I just shook my head... Sad... :facepalm

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Awkwaaard.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

mtshaw3 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:There's a Pittsburgh date!!!! I finally will get a chance to see AB! My day is made!
You've been a fan for a while haven't you? I live in WV and I've seen them like 5 times. Have you just not been able to make it to their shows nearby?

Saw them in Pittsburgh back in like 04/05, @ Penn State supporting 3DD and Shinedown in like 05ish, @ROTR in 08?, on Carnival of Madness tour in Huntington in 2011 and then traveled to Baltimore to see them in 2013 or 2014. They've definitely came close, granted they won't play many IN WV.
I also live in WV (Weirton to be exact...really close to both the OH & PA state lines and only about 35 minutes from Pittsburgh). I missed the ones early in the band's life (2004-2007) because I was a very very broke college student. Huntington, while relatively close considering how few tour dates they have in the U.S., is still a bit too much of a drive for me to see a concert on most days. I almost went to Rock on the Range on a few occasions (for AB and other bands), but the timing just never ends up working because of my job and I'd generally rather use vacation days for other things. So it is somewhat my fault as well, it's been quite a long time since they've come this close and there's really no reason at all why I couldn't make it to this one.
Last edited by VigilantSteve on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

mtshaw3 wrote::facepalm Listened to Octane earlier, Kayla had Ben from Breaking Benjamin and David Draiman from Disturbed on talking about the tour. One of them made a comment about being indestructible (which I guess is Disturbed's new album maybe?) and they joked about how that was a subtle plug. Then, Kayla said something along the lines of "well you mentioned things coming full circle, and that's an Alter Bridge album, so you guys have been unintentionally plugging this tour this whole interview"... I just shook my head... Sad... :facepalm
heard that, too! come on, Kayla!

just kidding. She's my favorite on there, actually.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

VigilantSteve wrote:
mtshaw3 wrote:

I also live in WV (Weirton to be exact...really close to both the OH & PA state lines and only about 35 minutes from Pittsburgh). I missed the ones early in the band's life (2004-2007) because I was a very very broke college student. Huntington, while relatively close considering how few tour dates they have in the U.S., is still a bit too much of a drive for me to see a concert on most days. I almost went to Rock on the Range on a few occasions (for AB and other bands), but the timing just never ends up working because of my job and I'd generally rather use vacation days for other things.
Gotcha, well I hope you can make it to this one! You gotta see them for sure.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

mtshaw3 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
mtshaw3 wrote:

I also live in WV (Weirton to be exact...really close to both the OH & PA state lines and only about 35 minutes from Pittsburgh). I missed the ones early in the band's life (2004-2007) because I was a very very broke college student. Huntington, while relatively close considering how few tour dates they have in the U.S., is still a bit too much of a drive for me to see a concert on most days. I almost went to Rock on the Range on a few occasions (for AB and other bands), but the timing just never ends up working because of my job and I'd generally rather use vacation days for other things.
Gotcha, well I hope you can make it to this one! You gotta see them for sure.
Oh, I'm getting tickets as soon as they're available. Nothing is stopping me this time around with it being this close to home and with me being MUCH more financially stable. I'm just wondering which venue they'll end up at.