AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB V

Post by uctalum01 »

riemslag1 wrote:Yes, please let them stay away from the Creed sound as far as possible. Forget about Creed, it served its purpose in the past but is now over and gone. They evolved into Alter Bridge sound which is so much better ! Just a nice little mix of the styles of the previous 4 albums will result in a real killer album. Very curious what they will come up with.
100% this :cheers

antiwal
Loyal Follower

Post by antiwal »

More pinched harmonics please Mr. Tremonti haha! :dance

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

One or two are ok. We don't want him sounding like Zakk Wylde, lol.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I think artifical harmonics are amazing.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Jaredr24 wrote:I'm okay with AB still doing an epic or 2 as long as they're a little different than some previous ones (not 6/8 time or in F# minor) but I'd love some more laid back stuff as well. Whether it's a ballad (hopefully better than All Ends Well) or something sort of like Lover. I just really want them to push some boundaries on this album and not have some many typical heavy songs with the melodic choruses and stuff.
This is what I want. This is Alter Bridge.

snowman
Bought The CDs

Post by snowman »

From Brian's FB Page...looks like they're getting an early start on some ABV Packages...

I definitely wouldn't mind getting one of those for my guitar room! :headbang

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Just wandering for what bundle is Brian signing there ? Or is that for some other packages, still to be announced, or Best-buy etc. ? Anybody knows ?

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Everyone expects the heavy/melodic single. I'd love to hear them come out with something mid-tempo and bluesy first.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

snowman wrote:From Brian's FB Page...looks like they're getting an early start on some ABV Packages...

I definitely wouldn't mind getting one of those for my guitar room! :headbang
There was a bundle I got that included a framed picture/poster of the band. That could be it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Is brian singing on the next album?

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

nagpo wrote:Is brian singing on the next album?
no lol

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

nagpo wrote:Is brian singing on the next album?
First of all, can the guy even sing to save his life?

Secondly, I don't know if it's something I/we/people would want? Would it even mesh well overall?

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I'm calling it. WDTTW Pt. 2 featuring Brian and Flip on vocals :lol

On a serious note, I hope they don't experiment with different things just for the sake of experimenting. Hopefully it works and fits well with the songs and what they want to accomplish. They're smart people so I have confidence they'll strike a good balance between their signature sound and new ideas.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Nick_917 wrote: On a serious note, I hope they don't experiment with different things just for the sake of experimenting. Hopefully it works and fits well with the songs and what they want to accomplish. They're smart people so I have confidence they'll strike a good balance between their signature sound and new ideas.
I concur. I prefer that they go ahead, do what they do best and succeed in creating songs that they enjoy making, that the fans enjoy listening rather than experimenting for the sake of experimenting, have no idea where they are going, which could possibly lead to them creating crappy songs they did not enjoy making that no one will like, and nobody wins in the end.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Nick_917 wrote: On a serious note, I hope they don't experiment with different things just for the sake of experimenting. Hopefully it works and fits well with the songs and what they want to accomplish. They're smart people so I have confidence they'll strike a good balance between their signature sound and new ideas.
I concur. I prefer that they go ahead, do what they do best and succeed in creating songs that they enjoy making, that the fans enjoy listening rather than experimenting for the sake of experimenting, have no idea where they are going, which could possibly lead to them creating crappy songs they did not enjoy making that no one will like, and nobody wins in the end.
You write the best songs when you step out of your comfort zone. It's how you grow as an artist. New sounds trigger new ideas in your brain - new ideas result in fresh songs. Every artist should always experiment at least to a certain degree.

And let's be honest, Alter Bridge is never going to alienate their fans by experimenting. Cry of Achilles, Blackbird, Fortress and Calm The Fire are results of them experimenting. The fans loved those songs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Timotheus wrote: You write the best songs when you step out of your comfort zone. It's how you grow as an artist. New sounds trigger new ideas in your brain - new ideas result in fresh songs. Every artist should always experiment at least to a certain degree.

And let's be honest, Alter Bridge is never going to alienate their fans by experimenting. Cry of Achilles, Blackbird, Fortress and Calm The Fire are results of them experimenting. The fans loved those songs.
Exactly. That's what me and anguyen are saying. I want them to go out of their comfort zone and bring in fresh ideas. Experimenting to a certain degree is great and something every artist should do. I just mean I don't want to see them going crazy with it and changing just to change, because then, like anguyen said, no one wins. I want to see a combination of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "let's see how to take what makes us great and take that even further". So yeah, I'm all for more Blackbirds, more Achilleses...es, more Calm the Fires, etc.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think there's such a thing as experimenting for the sake of experimenting. At least not with AB. There's nothing to be worried about. Even if they released their most experimental album yet, it still would sound like Alter Bridge.
Last edited by Timotheus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Gonna agree with Timo here, AB cannot alienate their fanbase. We are some of the most passionate fans the music industry has. These guys seem to be able to trap lightning in a bottle no matter what they do. Not every song is going to be great, but if they were to just put out the same kind of music over and over, it would almost feel like a fuller album.

AB can make whatever they want, and I'll support them. But I love the idea of them trying new things as a band so they continuously have new ideas and sounds.
Thanks Andy!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Micky wrote:Gonna agree with Timo here, AB cannot alienate their fanbase. We are some of the most passionate fans the music industry has. These guys seem to be able to trap lightning in a bottle no matter what they do. Not every song is going to be great, but if they were to just put out the same kind of music over and over, it would almost feel like a fuller album.

AB can make whatever they want, and I'll support them. But I love the idea of them trying new things as a band so they continuously have new ideas and sounds.
I agree with you but at the same time I would like some more ODR type songs. I really liked that sound. I think they did it with Outright and it really added to the album imo

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

One of the things I thought, and I suppose was slightly concerned about, after Alter Bridge fell into the routine of regular Slash /Tremonti with an AB album every 3 years, was that it might limit the amount of growth and experimentation (for lack of a better word) in Alter Bridge music. I know that experimenting is a risk (after all there's every chance they might change to do something I like less rather than like more) and I am not hoping for them to drastically transform their sound; I want them to stay Alter Bridge... But if they stuck with Alter Bridge more consistently (perhaps more touring, a bit less time between albums, all other activities confined very much to "side project" status) then they would be very comfortable with "being Alter Bridge" already, and perhaps be able to say "Last album we were Alter Bridge doing this, how about we try being Alter Bridge doing that instead?"

However, with going away from Alter Bridge for such long periods then coming back to it, just "being Alter Bridge" again becomes a bit of a novelty in itself. Mark and Myles put a couple of pieces together, the band bang out a classic Alter Bridge sounding tune, and think "we're back baby!" (As you can tell I have been a fly on the wall during their latest studio sessions). And they probably know that we as fans will be happy to hear that familiar AB sound again too. Maybe they come up with a couple of more outside-the-box songs too, but it's their first time writing any Alter Bridge material in a while so just doing something in the vein of AB feels fresh enough after doing Slash, Tremonti, etc. for the past 2 years.

Basically, having to recapture the Alter Bridge sound each album (and perhaps also feel like they have to deliver a quintessential AB experience to the fans each album) might leave them a bit complacent to stick with what's familiar. This even extends to things other than making the album, like touring. Coming back to playing Alter Bridge again after a couple of years, they're going to want to brush up on the classics and touring staples before thinking about rehearsing an old less played song. And when they come back to a city they haven't visited in 4 years and are unlikely to again for a while, they're more likely to think "Hey, you guys must be ready to hear Before Tomorrow Comes Again, right!?" than to change up the set list from last time.

A bit of a ramble, and to be honest I realise that it hasn't really turned out that way so far. Fortress was a great album, and songs like Cry Of Achilles and Calm The Fire were both different to AB's previous work and among their best songs. Plus, I am not saying "experimenting" is necessarily better - for all I know, keeping AB feeling fresh to the guys with regular breaks might be all that's preventing them from "experimenting" by adding some dubstep or reggae into the mix. But seeing the talk about experimenting and what sound to hope for on the next album, it reminded me of these thoughts from last time AB were releasing an album, that are still valid now.

Personally I hope that the album is quite similar to Fortress - not necessarily in its sound (although that wouldn't be too bad, as Fortress is great and like I said, I will be happy to hear any Alter Bridge even if it sounds very familiar), but in how it surprised me with the feeling of actually being an improvrment and containing some stuff that really did sound like Alter Bridge "experimenting" to positive effect.