AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB V

Post by Timotheus »

But let's be honest. If they'd write a bunch of experimental songs we'd never hear them live ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They never come to my state anymore anyways, so I'll take the album lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Timotheus wrote:But let's be honest. If they'd write a bunch of experimental songs we'd never hear them live ;)
Well, Blackbird, CoA and Fortress are songs which I consider to be quite experimental and we hear them live quite often. The thing that makes the guys not willing to play some certain tracks is probably some demaning vocal bit (that's down to Myles generally) or guitar technical stuff (The Damage Done?) not the song structure itself.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I was mostly kidding of course, but still.. The actual challenging songs like Fortress or Bleed It Dry took them a long time to practise to perfection and have only been performed a few times.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I sometimes write some complex songs myself, and then I suffer trying to perform them, so I feel their pain :D
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Timo is right.... I've seen our boys twice in 'Fortress' era and haven't heard much of it. And I felt like they needed a bit more practice. Imagine what happens if they get more complex :)

Slip To The Void, Waters Rising, Calm The Fire - they are not really complex, they structure is not particularly complicated, yet no one cares because they are surprising, interesting and full of mood. This is where they should experiment freely. I only fear that it would require a lot of time and focus on Alter Bridge only - time and focus they can't afford right now. It's always about schedule these days.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Andy92 wrote:They never come to my state anymore anyways, so I'll take the album lol.
Agree 110% lol. I've only seen AB once in 2011 in Louisville and it was good but they've never been close to where I live since (which is strange because I live an hour away from Nashville and they never get good shows and venues there). But I don't really see AB touring again with Fortress unless it's around the same time they get back together to write at the end of this year or early next.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

Timotheus wrote:It would be cool if the new album had some over-the-top, almost theatrical moments. There aren't a lot of moments like that on the last albums, but the few moments where they did it, it sounded great. The bridges of Waters Rising and Fallout comes to mind, and in its own subtle way the intros of Calm The Fire and Slip To The Void have a theatrical element as well.
This x1000. I saw AB in Dallas in 2014 and it felt like the fucking world was ending when they played the Waters Rising bridge.

alteredme
Brand New Start

Post by alteredme »

When I first saw this thread I thought that a new album had been released without me knowing it. Don't give me a heart attack guys! Anyway, I'm glad to hear that one is on it's way even if it's a long as next year.

In the meantime I really wish that the "Live in Milan" was out to ease the wait.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I'm sure the next album will be even heavier and more experimental than Fortress. That's just the direction they seem to be going in, even in their side projects, Slash and Tremonti are both in heavy rock bands. And AB is becoming more experimental with song formats and sounds.

I love this band and can't wait to hear the next one. But to be honest, I want Myles' solo record first...

alteredme
Brand New Start

Post by alteredme »

I'm the other way around, I'm looking forward to Myle's solo but AB V first. Looks like Tremonti will actually be first however, not complaining though! Love it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Eh-Be-five!
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

We've got a LLLLOOOONGGGGG way before this album hits the shelfs.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

After reading a couple of Dream Theater threads, one thing popped into my mind. If Flip or Brian had an idea for a song or a lyric, would the whole band go for it and make a great song from it?

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

You know what will be a big surprise? If AB V were not heavier than Fortress. If it is (and probably it will be), it's just predicable.

I just want a Mayfield Four album with guitar solos.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

Roneit wrote:You know what will be a big surprise? If AB V were not heavier than Fortress. If it is (and probably it will be), it's just predicable.

I just want a Mayfield Four album with guitar solos.
Agreed. I hope it's not heavier than Fortress. I think they know that heavy =/= better. They've tried to be heavier on every album since BB and it's getting old for me. Bands that say "our next album will be our heaviest yet" kind of get on my nerves. It should be more natural writing and not forced heaviness. I hope that AB V is more laid back with a few more ballads but we won't really know the direction they're gonna take until the end of this year more than likely.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think they really tried to be heavier on Fortress.. It just kinda came natural to them. None of the heaviness on Fortress sounded forced to me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:I don't think they really tried to be heavier on Fortress.. It just kinda came natural to them. None of the heaviness on Fortress sounded forced to me.
:yeahthat And both Mark and Myles said themselves in the writing process they just wrote heavier riffs this time around because when mark brought them to the table; so did Myles (unexpectedly to Mark); so then they just went with it and the record was naturally heavier.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

Yes, I remember the interview that Mark said that. It was funny, he said "ok, I guess we are going to this direction then..."

That is why Fortress it is so good. Just creativity and talent. They were not trying to do something, they let creativity process just flow.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So I guess we're not discussing if they will go for a song that has Flip or Brian doing the songwriting/lyrics if they wanted to? All right, I see.