AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Roneit
Loyal Follower

Re: AB V

Post by Roneit »

anguyen92 wrote:So I guess we're not discussing if they will go for a song that has Flip or Brian doing the songwriting/lyrics if they wanted to? All right, I see.
That would be interesting to see. I was not too crazy about Creed back in the day, so I don't know if they wrote songs during that time.

I would love to see what they have to show.

JSlade

Post by JSlade »

I really don't want an AB album filled with ballads. The band excels at writing experimental tracks, so I think that they should continue doing that.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

A concept album would be cool, doesn't matter if they're a 'prog' band' or not.. they're open to experiment & grow which is cool. To be honest I'd like to hear a couple more upbeat, hopeful songs on the next album. I've said this going back to AB III.. the dark, 'run out of faith' lyrical content has just run it's course. I would just love to hear more soaring melodies & songs that are more inspiring in a positive way, lyric wise. Call me crazy.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

For I'd want ABV to have

- At least 2 Top 10 hits
- More Mark Tremonti Vocals
- Louder/faster drums

Thats all that I've got for now

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

anguyen92 wrote:So I guess we're not discussing if they will go for a song that has Flip or Brian doing the songwriting/lyrics if they wanted to? All right, I see.
I don't know what there is to discuss. Neither one of them have been interested in writing a lyric for nearly 20 years now lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

JSlade wrote:I really don't want an AB album filled with ballads. The band excels at writing experimental tracks, so I think that they should continue doing that.
What about experimental ballads? :D

Nobody said they wanted an AB album filled with ballads by the way, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

AllC392Was wrote: - More Mark Tremonti Vocals
I don't love this one. My favorite part of Waters Rising's vocals belongs to Myles. Mark's got his solo project and it seems like he's stepped up his vocal game for T2 (and I'm really looking forward to it) but I'm hesitant to 'give him' more than 1 song in AB V. Maybe it's just Water's Rising though. Maybe with something more ballady like New Way Out it would work better for AB?

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

AllC392Was wrote:For I'd want ABV to have

Why? He's suitable for his side solo stuff but he's still not that good. His voice works well in the back but Myles is the lead singer. Myles has an awesome voice which I'd rather hear more than marks.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

nagpo wrote:
AllC392Was wrote:For I'd want ABV to have

Why? He's suitable for his side solo stuff but he's still not that good. His voice works well in the back but Myles is the lead singer. Myles has an awesome voice which I'd rather hear more than marks.
Sure, this part is true, but then again, we are the ones that are wanting Myles to do more lead guitar stuff for AB while Mark is the main lead guitar guy for AB. Shouldn't it be something in the same for Mark in the lead vocal department for a song?

I enjoyed Waters Rising as a whole song and was very glad they decided to do something they hadn't done before in AB and get Mark to do lead vocals. Sure, it may not be as experimental as one would think, but it's still something that I'm glad they took a chance with everything in AB is well-defined in each guys' role.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mark only sang on Waters Rising because Elvis and Myles weren't really digging Myles' vocal cut for that one. It was more of a last minute switch that worked out pretty well than a thought out idea.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If it benefits the song I'm all for it. I don't think Myles would've sounded better on Mark's parts of Waters Rising.
Fish Tacos wrote:Maybe with something more ballady like New Way Out it would work better for AB?
If it's a ballad, Myles has to sing it ;)
anguyen92 wrote:Sure, this part is true, but then again, we are the ones that are wanting Myles to do more lead guitar stuff for AB while Mark is the main lead guitar guy for AB. Shouldn't it be something in the same for Mark in the lead vocal department for a song?
There's a difference between having a solo on a song and being the lead singer on a song. I don't really mind if Mark gets to sing some parts, but if he sings the majority of 2 or 3 songs I'll lose interest, especially on an AB record.

The thing is, Myles and Mark are equally good on the guitar. People will have their preferences, but it's not like one of the two is clearly better than the other one. This is not really the case when it comes to their voices.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm of the same train of thought. Happy with Mark having a few lead parts, but not multiple songs. Consequently, I would like to hear Myles do a few more guitar leads/solos on the next one.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

I respectfully disagree with Timo on this one. Myles is a good guitarist but he isn't great. And when I mean Mark sining more I mean harmonizing with a few lead spots here and there.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Well, even if that would be the case, he can easily keep up with Mark.

But yea, more lead vocals like Words Darker Than Their Wings and Come To Life are fine with me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

AllC392Was wrote:I respectfully disagree with Timo on this one. Myles is a good guitarist but he isn't great. And when I mean Mark sining more I mean harmonizing with a few lead spots here and there.
But... but... Mark and Slash are always saying how good Myles is...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

You just prefer Mark's style of play to Myles'. But if we're comparing pure skill and technique, Myles is just as good if not better.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

I just want more acoustic/clean guitar. Doesn't have to be used for just a ballad but for anything. I'd love to hear them do another song like "Watch Over You" though for sure. And as a guitarist, the more alternate tunings (like open G and D5) the merrier.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Andy92 wrote:You just prefer Mark's style of play to Myles'. But if we're comparing pure skill and technique, Myles is just as good if not better.
Theres no opinion when it comes to this, its a fact that Myles is basically as good as Mark if not better, just in a different style of playing.

And yessss more acoustic stuff. A song thats heavy but has acoustic parts would be dope.
Thanks Timo!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I definately think we'll see something like that after the response for Cry of Achilles.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I love the little clean interlude before the solo in Bleed It Dry as well. They used to only seem to play clean intros on the earlier albums, but they're starting to expand more as they go.