AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB V

Post by Timotheus »

It will be interesting to see what Myles will be denying or won't be able to deny on the next record.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mark Tremonti to the former, Slash for the latter.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

My only hope for ABV is that the storytelling/lyrics improve. Due to the sheer amount of writing they do, both Mark and Myles, I feel like that's the only aspect of the band that isn't improving and progressing with each new record. Perhaps making the song verses a bit more minimalistic and sparse would be a good way of doing things. Let the musicality of the band take up a bit more space within the songs.

Like, for example, these are the lyrics to one of my favourite songs... Lullaby by Low. The song's nearly ten minutes long.

Then, for comparison, a little snapshot of the lyrics to a random Alter Bridge song. I couldn't even fit all of the lyrics to Addicted to Pain in my browser window. Heh.

It's not the fairest comparison if I'm being honest. The first song is a ballad from an indie band. The second is of course a heavy rock cut from our beloved heroes. But still... I do think things would be a bit less clunky at times if there were more moments where Myles let his guitar speak/sing for him. Likewise, there are some AB songs where I'd prefer, instead of having Myles retread the same lyrical territory, maybe do without lyrics and let Brian and Flip come to the fore and express themselves for a few moments.

Hopefully all of this isn't too incoherent. Heh.
Last edited by Dan Dando on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I will stand with wanting them doing an all-out instrumental song like Rush's YYZ and the likes and do something that can showcase the instrumental side of all four guys without needing any lyrics or vocals or the whatnots. Then again, Mark and Myles never really claims to be that "Look at what I can do on the guitar" kind of guys so that's probably not going to happen.
Dan Dando wrote: Likewise, there are some AB songs where, instead of having Myles retread the same lyrical territory, maybe do without lyrics and let Brian and Flip come to the fore and express themselves for a few moments.
I have stated on kinda wanting to see Flip and Brian write lyrics, but if they have never actually express the idea of doing lyrics for 20 years (even outside of AB and Creed), probably not going to happen here.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

anguyen92 wrote:I, too, have stated on kinda wanting to see Flip and Brian write lyrics, but if they have never actually express the idea of doing lyrics for 20 years (even outside of AB and Creed), probably not going to happen here.
Ahh, what I meant there is that it would be cool if they came to the fore more in a musical sense. If Myles and Mark can be a bit clunky with their lyrics sometimes then I fear what it would be like if Flip and Brian were given the pen and notepad. Heh. I'd just absolutely love to see Flip just take over something mid-song, you know? Like the intro to Metallingus but more of an interlude within a song maybe. Same for Brian.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I love how after the wall of text it just manages to fit in [Guitar solo] :lol So Alter Bridge. I'm tempted to finish my posts with it until the new album is out.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:I love how after the wall of text it just manages to fit in [Guitar solo] :lol So Alter Bridge. I'm tempted to finish my posts with it until the new album is out.
That'd be great :lol

Followed by another little wall of text by the way. Heh.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Next best thing.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Hope the guys do whatever the hell they want. I'll love it no matter what.
Thanks Andy!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Micky wrote:Hope the guys do whatever the hell they want. I'll love it no matter what.
This.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Myles definitely needs to be challenged lyrically. He's got really interesting concepts, but they get diluted with all the 'deny, in the end, this I know, save tomorrow.' It makes the songs come off very shallow.

Night trade with day
And let dawn begin to break
Once again she knows me too well
How to heal, how to help

For a while I am saved by her smile
And all the harm comes undone
Just soon enough to stop the flood
The overflow
Should her charm not hold
It could drown me today
Must the river run so high, my love

You know your smile can
Dam the river that I have of you

I'd love to see him return to this style.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Myles definitely needs to be challenged lyrically. He's got really interesting concepts, but they get diluted with all the 'deny, in the end, this I know, save tomorrow.' It makes the songs come off very shallow.

Night trade with day
And let dawn begin to break
Once again she knows me too well
How to heal, how to help

For a while I am saved by her smile
And all the harm comes undone
Just soon enough to stop the flood
The overflow
Should her charm not hold
It could drown me today
Must the river run so high, my love

You know your smile can
Dam the river that I have of you

I'd love to see him return to this style.
Welp, now I gotta listen to this record.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Anyone else dying for a MK slide solo in an AB song?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

One Drew Remains wrote:Anyone else dying for a MK slide solo in an AB song?
That would be sick. I love Myles' version of "Traveling Riverside Blues."
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

This is pretty much where we are at at this point.
What’s ahead for Alter Bridge?

The plan is to record a new album in the first three months of next year. Then, after Myles (Kennedy, singer of Alter Bridge) finishes tracking, we plan to do Tremonti and Slash tours while everything is being set up, because it takes another few months once you’ve recorded the album to get all the teams in place to do the proper push for the album. Then, we’ll fly to Europe and do the press run and do the press run in the U.S. and go on tour.
http://audioinkradio.com/2015/09/mark-t ... er-bridge/

I wonder if they will do more on the press run in the US? The only area they did the PR for Fortress in the States was in New York and that was mainly just the Eddie Trunk show.

As it stands, I just hope things work out for the best for AB and nothing will derail what and where they can showcase themselves to the fullest.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

This schedule looks pretty good as long as GNR reunites in 2017. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn... they don't usually record that early in the year. With the other tours, I'm sure it still ends up being a Aug or September release, but whenever they record, usually there are tons of spoilers that creep out. We may have a good idea about a lot of the album half year before its due to come out

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

I really hope they lock it down in terms of sound bites, like they did with Fortress. I think it made for a much better listening experience when the full album came out.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Sounds like they have a sound plan. Probably see AB in the states for a spring 2017 tour.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

anguyen92 wrote:This is pretty much where we are at at this point.
What’s ahead for Alter Bridge?

The plan is to record a new album in the first three months of next year. Then, after Myles (Kennedy, singer of Alter Bridge) finishes tracking, we plan to do Tremonti and Slash tours while everything is being set up, because it takes another few months once you’ve recorded the album to get all the teams in place to do the proper push for the album. Then, we’ll fly to Europe and do the press run and do the press run in the U.S. and go on tour.
http://audioinkradio.com/2015/09/mark-t ... er-bridge/

I wonder if they will do more on the press run in the US? The only area they did the PR for Fortress in the States was in New York and that was mainly just the Eddie Trunk show.

As it stands, I just hope things work out for the best for AB and nothing will derail what and where they can showcase themselves to the fullest.
Love this.love all of this