Revisting an old AB song and being surprise how good it is

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Roneit
Loyal Follower

Revisting an old AB song and being surprise how good it is

Post by Roneit »

Did you guys already have the feeling of listening again an AB song that you usually skip, or that you don't have on your favorites, or even just listening an album that you didn't listen for a long time and suddenly being surprise with a particular track? And this kind of thoughts come to your mind?

"How could I missed how good this song is?"
"How could I forget how good this song was?"
"How could I never gave the credit that song deserves?"
"Why this song is not in my TOP 10 AB list?"
"Why nobody ever talks how good this song is?"

Maybe we can talk about the song before introducing a new suggestion, or not. :P
Anyway, this week I was surprise about this one:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vnS8ddemz0c[/youtube]

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Revisting an old AB song and being surprise how good it

Post by Timotheus »

Back when I just learned about AB, I made a list with all the songs I really liked and put them on my MP3 player. Only a few songs didn't make the list: Watch Your Words, The End Is Here, Buried Alive and Break Me Down (this was back in 2007).

The End Is Here is now one of my favourite AB Songs, but that happened really steadily so there wasn't really a "wow moment". I grew to like Buried Alive a lot too over the years, but WYW and BMD are both still in the "don't really care" list.

So yea, what can I say about Watch Your Words.. It's not a bad track of course, but it doesn't really do that much for me. I'd love to hear them perform it again sometimes though, because I think it could sound pretty awesome with their post-ODR sound.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I run and go to the gym alot, so AB is in heavy rotation on my mp3 player. I have my favorites that get plenty of time. But every now and then I'll be driving my wife's car, where I have most of their songs on a USB drive, and I'll hear something that I haven't heard for a while and really get into it. For all of the hate that Break Me Down gets, I was headbanging along to the groove of the song the other day. Yes, it's sandwiched between some amazing tracks, but I enjoy it alot.

I go through phases with AB songs. Ultimutely, I guess I like all of them except Save Me and Breathe Again. I have never been into those two.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

The End is Here is seems to be underrated. It is a great song and I hope that could do others songs with that kind of environment.

Break Me Down is hated? Wow. That would be my second choice of a song that surprised me after a long time without hearing.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Pretty much anything from One Day Remains (save for META, TEIH, SMS, BID, WYW, SM, & ARTS) are old AB songs I never really listen to all that much anymore so whenever I go back to them it's nice.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: How do you not listen to FTR or ODR?!?!

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Pretty much anything from One Day Remains (save for META, TEIH, SMS, BID, WYW, SM, & ARTS) are old AB songs I never really listen to all that much anymore so whenever I go back to them it's nice.
You know that's an 11 track album right? You just listed 7 songs, that's over half the album... pretty much anything from ODR you have a good shot of listening to :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Am I the only one that thinks AB doesn't have a bad song? Of course some are better than others. If I had to pick a least favorite, I suppose I would pick Never Born to Follow.

To stay on subject though, I would say all of Blackbird was like this for me. I used to love ODR and would never give BB a chance. I remember starting to listen and just wanting to listen to ODR instead. Finally I was donating plasma one time and had a lot of time to kill. I listened and couldn't believe how good it was this time around. Now it's still my all time favorite album to date.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks AB doesn't have a bad song? Of course some are better than others. If I had to pick a least favorite, I suppose I would pick Never Born to Follow.
Depends what you consider a 'bad' song to be. I probably consider more AB tracks to be filler (I know that's another ambiguous term, but I'd rather not get into a debate as to what it means) than most people here, I probably skip half of both ABIII and Blackbird when listening those albums. But do ABIII and Blackbird have any 'bad' songs? I don't think you can really say they do. In my opinion, AB have a fair few boring and generic songs which I really don't care, but I wouldn't consider any of those to be particularly 'bad'.

On another note, I find it interesting that you list Never Born to Follow as your least favourite, that's probably one of my favourite AB songs!

Trelose
Loyal Follower

Post by Trelose »

My least favorite would likely be either Burn It Down (although, depending on my mood, I sometimes sorta-like it. But generally I tolerate its existance) or White Knuckles. Buried Alive and Break Me Down are down there as well, but I don't mind them.

But I've recently gotten to where I absolutely love All Hope is Gone and Still Remains. I used to not care for them, but they've really clicked here lately. Come To Life has also done the same, but has skyrocketed to replacing Rise Today as my favorite off of Blackbird (besides the title track.)

...Wow, that likely was a lot of rambling.
I wanna rise today... And change this world...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

How can someone not love Burn It Down, or White Knuckles... Or All Hope Is Gone... or Still Remains... or Come To Life... :D

Trelose
Loyal Follower

Post by Trelose »

Mr. Slash wrote:How can someone not love Burn It Down, or White Knuckles... Or All Hope Is Gone... or Still Remains... or Come To Life... :D
Not sure on the last three, but I have trouble with the first two clicking. <.>
I wanna rise today... And change this world...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Watch Your Words is a killer song. Back when their songwriting was much more sensible for me. I don't skip a single song on One Day Remains when its on rotation. Their most underrated album.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

My thoughts about the songs mentioned so far:

- Never Born to Follow - one of my favorites. Great chorus. Good solo. Great bridge. Awesome Myles scream at the end.

- Burn It Down - my second choice for this thread. I can not believe I used to not care for this song before.

- White Knuckles - I don't like very much. In my opinion, it could use more melody.

- Buried Alive - I don't care too much about this one either. Good bridge though.

- Break Me Down - I actually like it, the weak part for me is the chorus. But the song has great moments.

- All Hope Is Gone - Sometimes I like, sometimes I skip.

- Still Remains - One of my least favorites of AB. The weaker one of ABIII.

- Come to Life - I like it, but it stays in the middle between my favorites and the ones I don't care that much.

- Rise Today - Love it. Maybe is overplayed already, but it is a great song.

Ps.: I am comparing AB with themselves. Of course the weakest songs are far better of a lot of thing out there.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I really do not understand why Still Remains gets so much hate. It is one of my favorites. Mark's killer riffs, dat awesome bridge and the lyrics. Everything so evil and dark. I love it.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

Mr. Slash wrote:I really do not understand why Still Remains gets so much hate. It is one of my favorites. Mark's killer riffs, dat awesome bridge and the lyrics. Everything so evil and dark. I love it.
My reasons are: lack of a better melody, not that much creativity (sounds like a filler); weak chorus melody; sounds a bit generic.

But of course, it is an AB song, and their worst are still great and awesome.

HappyHogJens
White Knuckled

Post by HappyHogJens »

Actually, the most popular songs seem to be the songs I don´t listen that often. Metalingus, Blackbird, Rise Today, Watch over You, Wonderful Life.. Pretty ashamed to have Blackbird in this list.

I discovered lots of new music in a slightly different genre, so I´m now in a period of only listening my real favorites: The Uninvited, Come to Life, Show Me A Sign, Words, Watch Your Words and all 3 AB III bonus tracks.

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

Man, I love the 3 bonus tracks of ABIII too.

Berated_girl
Brand New Start

Post by Berated_girl »

I'm ashamed to say that I skipped Blackbird for years. I don't know what happened but obviously there was something going on when I first listened to it that made me not really like it. I kept reading great things about it so one day I listened to it again and just thought "Wow, how could I have missed this?!". It's now one of my favourite Alter Bridge songs.

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

One of the songs I never really clicked with is 'Brand New Start'.

But last week I had a really quiet evening that I spent sitting alone on my balcony with a beer and my portable loudspeaker, not really doing anything except watching the snowy city (that sound a bit sad, now that I re-read it). And when that song started up the atmosphere really got to me.
The moment when Myles starts singing and that solo :cloud9

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I think I find more surprising how I cannot wear out Come to Life. I've listened to CTL almost every single day since release. I'm listening to it as I type this now. Definitely my favorite AB song.