Rarities & B-Sides

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Macca
Greg

Re: Rarities & B-Sides

Post by Macca »

devv88 wrote:Nice to see some rational discussion going on around here.

I agree that there are increasingly significant problems with both the in-studio and live aspects of Alter Bridge's output over the last few years, and though I'm not bothered by the in-studio issues as much as others are, I'd love to see them shake things up a bit and move in a slightly different direction. I like the way the band has progressed artistically, but I can't help but feel that they're not pushing themselves in any significant way, and I'd really like to see them do so. Seems like it's the right time to shake things up dramatically.
They need to make a choice. Cater for radio or go all out and push themselves to create the best music they can. I'm sick of hearing potentially good AB tracks being ruined so as to appeal to the masses. I honestly think these guys have it in them to write a really good hard rock album but they seem to have gotten so lazy with their songwriting in recent years. Such a frustrating band.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

^ A goddamn MEN

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

TenaciousBe wrote:You know, for those who like to slag on Elvis, you have to remember it's a group effort between he and each band he works with. It's not like AB just walks in the room, records their parts, and leave saying "okay, do whatever you want with it." The band works with Elvis to get the sound that THEY want, or I doubt the record would be released. Everybody offers their opinions and thoughts and ideas, and what comes out is a hybrid of everybody's vision.

There are certainly things that a producer could do differently to achieve a slightly different sound, but in the end, the band's influence is going to reign supreme. If you just want to flat out say "Elvis sucks," you're essentially saying that AB doesn't know how to make records.
:yeahthat

Well said!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Macca wrote:
devv88 wrote:Nice to see some rational discussion going on around here.

I agree that there are increasingly significant problems with both the in-studio and live aspects of Alter Bridge's output over the last few years, and though I'm not bothered by the in-studio issues as much as others are, I'd love to see them shake things up a bit and move in a slightly different direction. I like the way the band has progressed artistically, but I can't help but feel that they're not pushing themselves in any significant way, and I'd really like to see them do so. Seems like it's the right time to shake things up dramatically.
They need to make a choice. Cater for radio or go all out and push themselves to create the best music they can. I'm sick of hearing potentially good AB tracks being ruined so as to appeal to the masses. I honestly think these guys have it in them to write a really good hard rock album but they seem to have gotten so lazy with their songwriting in recent years. Such a frustrating band.

Bam... put more succinctly than I ever could put in. Hit the nail on the head there.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:I know that Evlis worked on Myles' Second Skin. Which to me, is plagued by the same issues as AB III and Blackbird. The vocal effects, wall of sound, synthetic commercial gloss.. ect. That's why I think Elvis is the one pushing for that stuff. It should be a crime to put any vocal effects on Myles. But I still wonder if Sperber contributed to those decisions.
Myles also worked on Second Skin, could be him doing it all! :lol Fallout's probably my favourite album in terms of vocals that Myles has done, seem to remember he had an interesting guy as producer for that, used to be in the Talking Heads I think? Made him run up and down a flight of stairs before recording the title track :lol
So that's why he sounds out of breath on that song!! :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

lazy with their songwriting? definitely do not agree with that. maybe the style or subject doesnt appeal to you, but that doesnt take away from the songwriting. i think AB's songwriting is fantastic. not to cliche, sometimes takes a few listens to interpret. thats my biggest problem with bands like shinedown. the music is great but damn, 1000000 other bands have made the same stuff, be more creative... "starin down the barrel of a 45" makes me cringe. they can do better than that

but i do agree with you on the potential of alter bridge. they should change the subject of their songs back to the first album because thats just fun to listen to.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Not sure if you know what 45 is really about...but that's for a different thread lol.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i know exactly what its about, i just think they couldve been more creative. almost as if they were trying to get the point or image across in a different sort of way, but it still wasnt good at all.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Okay then...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB23 wrote:lazy with their songwriting? definitely do not agree with that. maybe the style or subject doesnt appeal to you, but that doesnt take away from the songwriting. i think AB's songwriting is fantastic. not to cliche, sometimes takes a few listens to interpret. thats my biggest problem with bands like shinedown. the music is great but damn, 1000000 other bands have made the same stuff, be more creative... "starin down the barrel of a 45" makes me cringe. they can do better than that

but i do agree with you on the potential of alter bridge. they should change the subject of their songs back to the first album because thats just fun to listen to.
The riffs and motifs are okay. When I refer to song writing I don't specifically mean just the lyrics. I do, however, prefer Mark's lyrics to Myles's. It just seems like some instrumental passages are jammed into the now ubiquitous "alt rock" structure where they feel they could maybe branch out more.

With songs like Blackbird, Slip and WDTTW it's like they want to stretch out a bit more but just can't make that transition. Everything still falls into a radio friendly huge chorus and a short instrumental passages. I just think they're capable of writing some really meaningful music.

It's great music, it really is. It could just be ... more. It's not Elvis's fault but a change of scenery would be really beneficial I think.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Some of marks best solos are not even with AB. Creed or Tremonti

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I dunno my favourites are probably with AB:

Burn It Down, Find The Real, Blackbird, Brand New Start, Show Me A Sign, Home

I quite like Stand Here With Me's solo but it's not up with those ones above. Too early to comment on the Tremonti solos. Can't really hear what he's doing with those muddy live recordings.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oh, add the solo to We Don't Care At All to that list. That is just good time arse kicking awesomeness.

tiesthatbind1387
Brand New Start

Post by tiesthatbind1387 »

it was great to hear some of the early versions of some of the songs it shows how each song has evolved from the original versions.

TremontiRomo
Brand New Start

Post by TremontiRomo »

I haven't seen it mentioned in another post but Mark appeared on one of comedian Larry the Cable Guy's albums. Don't remember which one off the top of my head and i really loathe Larry/Guy but I actually bought it just because of Mark appearing on it. Its the last track where Mark talks with Larry then Mark ends up dking some shredding then Larry starts to play and it sucks then he tries again but this time it sounds really good.