The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by WaywardOne »

Just want to give a shout out to X106.9 out of Grand Junction, CO! Along with tons of other great music, they played Open Your Eyes yesterday... I honestly can't remember the last time I heard anything by AB on the radio.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:The way he does it now is less straining for his throat I think. In the studio version he slides towards that high note, which is harder to do.
Yeah. That vocal slide up on the album is just gorgeous. It adds so much mood to the moment as it builds. It sounded really weird to me to hear the live performances where he just started at the top of that slide.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So after watching the recent Myles' Q&A with Loudwire, it made me think about something. One question that was asked was something along the lines of "Does he have a fear of suffering writer's block?" Myles did not hesitate in saying yes and he knows that another AB album is down the horizon later next year (it's so soon! It feels like The Last Hero was released yesterday) and he hopes that something will come to him to work with when they get cracking at creating it next year. I guess at the end of the day, what is there left for AB to work with that can stand out with as much importance of their other albums?

They did the post-grunge motifs in ODR. The classic modern-sounding rock album in Blackbird. Tackling the idea of losing faith in ABIII. The much more heavier and cerebral sound that revolves around relationships deteriorating in Fortress. The relatively franticness sound that revolves the idea that there may be no more heroes everyone can look up to left in the world in The Last Hero. What else can they cover that they did not yet cover in AB or their other projects (I know that there were some songs that Mark wrote for Tremonti that covers the negative aspects of working with Wind-Up and Myles talking about his father's passing and the aftermath of it in The Year of the Tiger)?

On another note, all I really asked for was that AB needed to have that big touring period for an album where they have cover all kinds of ground and they did that during The Last Hero period and I'm like what else can they do going forward. They did the following during the last two years.

Open for a bigger modern rock band in arena and/or ampitheaters (Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed co-headliner summer tour).
Play a headlining tour in Europe in arenas and big music halls.
Do two US headlining runs where they play a lot of shows in a fair amount of their big and known markets.
Get good billing in Europe festivals and play in the US festivals.
Play in South America and get a good spot in the biggest festival there (Rock in Rio).
Play a longer set with no openers (Technically that is a check, but it was not the 2.5 hours+ show that I personally wanted them to do, but still).
Play a show that incorporates deeper cuts (Royal Albert Hall). Bonus points for them doing it with an orchestra.

What else can they do for the next tour? Do a full acoustic set? But wait, Myles is already doing that for his solo tour. Hmmmm.

I feel like going in 2019, there's a lot of uncertainty for AB on what they can do than it was going into 2016.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:So after watching the recent Myles' Q&A with Loudwire, it made me think about something. One question that was asked was something along the lines of "Does he have a fear of suffering writer's block?" Myles did not hesitate in saying yes and he knows that another AB album is down the horizon later next year (it's so soon! It feels like The Last Hero was released yesterday) and he hopes that something will come to him to work with when they get cracking at creating it next year. I guess at the end of the day, what is there left for AB to work with that can stand out with as much importance of their other albums?

They did the post-grunge motifs in ODR. The classic modern-sounding rock album in Blackbird. Tackling the idea of losing faith in ABIII. The much more heavier and cerebral sound that revolves around relationships deteriorating in Fortress. The relatively franticness sound that revolves the idea that there may be no more heroes everyone can look up to left in the world in The Last Hero. What else can they cover that they did not yet cover in AB or their other projects (I know that there were some songs that Mark wrote for Tremonti that covers the negative aspects of working with Wind-Up and Myles talking about his father's passing and the aftermath of it in The Year of the Tiger)?

On another note, all I really asked for was that AB needed to have that big touring period for an album where they have cover all kinds of ground and they did that during The Last Hero period and I'm like what else can they do going forward. They did the following during the last two years.

Open for a bigger modern rock band in arena and/or ampitheaters (Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed co-headliner summer tour).
Play a headlining tour in Europe in arenas and big music halls.
Do two US headlining runs where they play a lot of shows in a fair amount of their big and known markets.
Get good billing in Europe festivals and play in the US festivals.
Play in South America and get a good spot in the biggest festival there (Rock in Rio).
Play a longer set with no openers (Technically that is a check, but it was not the 2.5 hours+ show that I personally wanted them to do, but still).
Play a show that incorporates deeper cuts (Royal Albert Hall). Bonus points for them doing it with an orchestra.

What else can they do for the next tour? Do a full acoustic set? But wait, Myles is already doing that for his solo tour. Hmmmm.

I feel like going in 2019, there's a lot of uncertainty for AB on what they can do than it was going into 2016.
You may be right, and I think it would be understandable at this point in their careers. They're a mature band with a big back catalog now, and they do full albums with other bands in between. I have faith they'll still put out more amazing music, but I wouldn't hold it against them if they decided to take a break and push the next album out a year or so. Granted, it would KILL me to have to wait, but it might do them some good (they certainly have earned it).

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Really interesting watch. The point he made at the end (before his neighbour was killed) was spot on.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

That's some good stuff. The control he has (aside from his range) has always been under-appreciated by casual listeners, I feel - great to see him getting props from a channel like that.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Does anyone remember a live video from ODR days where Myles says to the audience that he felt embarrassed one night when he had realised that his fly was down throughout the entire show? That one was quite hilarious but I saw it ages ago and I can't find it at the moment.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

It bugs me that the guy botches the lyric around 5:10 "It was never lost". Ironic on a voice study. Get a lyric sheet. Geez. Awesome button up sweater, too.

But yeah, really interesting stuff. Sort of like vocal tabs. It's easy to forget about technique and details and all the biomechanical parts that go into singing.

Oh, and Myles is good. Like miraculously good. "Like a doctor". So, yeah. We're basically the same guy.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

gbruin wrote:It bugs me that the guy botches the lyric around 5:10 "It was never lost".
Lol, I was wondering what was happening there. Like he was unable to hear the real lyrics. He replayed Myles's version a few times, and still kept singing it wrong. Guess he's more focussed on the voice and the tone.

Edit because of: weird sentence structure
Last edited by Timotheus on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

That or just going all in on impersonating Myles and adding the occasional lyric flub.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote:That or just going all in on impersonating Myles and adding the occasional lyric flub.
:lol I actually considered that. And if he'd changed a long a to a long e (fly aweee) and just added one "deny", he have him nailed.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Did someone post this already? Seems like AB has a new drummer. :D

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

This was a fun YouTube suggestion. I guess the guys on this channel are going through various rock and metal songs people suggest and reacting to them. They already liked Rage Against the Machine and Korn, now love Tool, looks like Blackbird was an instant win too :)
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

agny wrote:This was a fun YouTube suggestion. I guess the guys on this channel are going through various rock and metal songs people suggest and reacting to them. They already liked Rage Against the Machine and Korn, now love Tool, looks like Blackbird was an instant win too :)
You should see their Gojira vids, George gets HYPE for them.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Those Gojira videos were fun, love these guys and their channel is making me relisten to some classics.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

agny wrote:Those Gojira videos were fun, love these guys and their channel is making me relisten to some classics.
Still can't believe they didn't like Jesus Christ Pose, though. That's a paddlin'.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Love it!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Mark said the next Alter Bridge album will begin in early 2019! Assuming things follow a similar time frame to the last 2 or 3 records, we should get AB 6 around September or October. :rockon

I am ready now.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Man it's been almost 2 years since TLH dropped! That's gone very quickly!