The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

Ubik wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:It probably will over time in the next few months. Top 10 is the big challenge. Been a long time since they had a top 10, let alone a top 5 single on Active Rock. Addicted to Pain was the last time an AB single made it that far back in 2013.......
I figured that because it's not a lead single with all the associated album promotion it would struggle a bit more, though? When was the last time we even rigged an online poll for the band? Too long.
I think the last time we've rigged an online poll was when the solo for Blackbird won the greatest solo of all time on Ultimate-Guitar. Loudwire hasn't done any polls that involved AB since the timeframe back when The Last Hero was out.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ubik wrote:Godspeed has (finally) charted on US radio! http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/allabou ... format=R2R

Hopefully can sneak into the top 20.
It's ridiculous how popular FFDP is in the USA.

Mark and Myles were at Eddie Trunk's show. On Facebook you can see a short snippet where they talk about Myles' initiation ritual for becoming a member of Alter Bridge. Mark basically forced him to go to the world's largest free fall tower lol.
https://www.facebook.com/siriusxm/video ... =2&theater
The whole interview is somewhere here
https://player.siriusxm.com/now-playing

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

While we have this downtime, I found this interview from Shinedown's Zach Myers and I think this is a good time for this sort of discussion in regards to backing tracks and whatnot, especially when AB has toured with both Shinedown and Skillet last year, bands that do use backing tracks to get certain effects in some songs compared to how AB approaches it.
SHINEDOWN guitarist Zach Myers says that "90 percent" of rock artists use at least some pre-recorded tracks during their live performances.

In recent years, more and more bands have been given a pass for using backing tracks, drum triggers and other assorted technology that makes concerts more synthetic but also more consistent.

Speaking to Rock Feed about SHINEDOWN's reliance on backing tracks, Myers said (see video below): "I can't bring a 25-piece orchestra on tour with me, but there's a 25-piece orchestra on 'Second Chance', which is one of our biggest songs, so if I can have it in there… And listen, we have songs where we don't even play to a click track — we do it both ways. So there are songs that are just straight-up rock and roll, and there ain't nothing else going on.

"I think it's all personal preference," he continued. "If you wanna do that, do it. If you wanna run tracks, run tracks. I go see bands — CHEVELLE doesn't run any tracks; they've been a straight-up band forever.

"We're gonna do it because, yeah, dude, there's some keyboard stuff. And it's not like piano. Everything you see us playing on stage we're playing. But you know what? Yeah, if there's a shaker on a song that adds an element of energy to the song, we're gonna put a shaker in there. Instead of having to pay some dude to play a shaker and tambourine and keyboards and guitars, even breaking it down to a five-piece string section, we're gonna do that.

"Granted, in other genres of music, there's a lot of people who use tracks that aren't playing anything up there, which is a bit ridiculous."

Zach added: "Here's the thing: you can take that computer that's running the strings and the key tracks and the click track and take it away, and we're still an arena band — period. There's nothing you can do about it.

"And that's the thing: it bothers me that it bothers people. I'm, like, 'Why does this bother you?' It's the way it is. People have been doing this since the '80s. And we want the sound to be the best it can be. Could we go up there, just the four of us, and put on the best rock show ever? Of course. But that's not how we wanna do it. It's personal preference, dude. Bands like ALTER BRIDGE, there's only, like, three songs where they run tracks, and the rest of it is just balls-to-the-wall… I don't even think they run a click track on some stuff. So there's definitely bands who don't do it. But 90 percent of the bands do it — 90 percent. And I can safely say that."
I wonder what three songs Zach is thinking of when he made that comment? I can't accept what he's saying. I like Shinedown, Us and Them is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time as people know here, but these are the kinds of things (along with their last two albums) that turns me off with the band. I enjoyed seeing Shinedown, last year, even with all the backing tracks included. I probably enjoy them again later this year, but their music isn't really the kind of music where they do need to resort to these kinds of tricks. If Brent Smith cannot hit certain notes in certain songs like Diamond Eyes, then change the approach to playing the song to accommodate his voice nowadays. Fans can get a kick out of that if the approach is used well.

They toured with Alter Bridge like he mentioned, late year, and there are no backing tracks that I can pick up at all in any songs they played (I know, I saw them four times early this year). I also do think they play with a click track which is how they were able to slow themselves down (and play much more tighter and better as a result) compared to how they play 10 years ago where they went hyper fast.

Sure, for One Life, they use the playback as an intro taped music, but that's just to get hyped where Wouldn't You Rather onwards, what they played is what you hear. Even on songs like Godspeed and Pay No Mind where there were synths, they had their guitar tech play the synth parts for the sake of authenticity. So I think in this downtime, it's good to open up this discussion. Thoughts?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think in Godspeed and Pay No Mind there's the occasional line where it's not play by the tech

Godspeed (bit that starts around 28 seconds) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIh8eRNNys
Pay No Mind (when the lights come on, he doesn't seem to be playing the first noodly bit) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSC2XEHmNc4

Then there's Slip, though that's not really played much any more.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh, I see what you mean. Well then, I'll mark that post as me making an ass out of myself again.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. Well then, I'll mark that post as me making an ass out of myself again.
Not at all, point remains that the vast majority stuff is done live and they go out of their way to do so. It's really just an extra bit of texture at the start and the all you can hear afterwards is what the tech's playing.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I actually understand where Zach is coming from, but people don’t really complain about using backing tracks for the orchestra live. They complain about Brent faking high notes when he’s been caught on recordings pulling the microphone away while you can still “hear his voice” hitting the note for an extra few sections. I’m pretty sure Shinedown has used guitar tracks in some places too.

By all means, I don’t care if a rock band adds a few synths/bells and whistles to their live sets. But at least make all of the vocals and guitar work authentic.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

The Spokesman Review Spokane March 27, 2020

An extended solo: Spokane musicians adapt to their lives in artistic limbo

Just like everyone else, Myles Kennedy is going a bit stir crazy. The Alter Bridge singer-songwriter and his family have been sequestered in their South Hill home but are coming up with plans for socialization.

“My wife and I were talking last night about what we should do,” Kennedy said while calling from his home. “We’re talking about getting a bunch of people together on Skype or through FaceTime and having a social hour. We can have drinks and pretend we’re all together. This has been a huge social shift for us.”

However, professionally some things have changed, and some things remain the same for Kennedy. His tour of Asia with Alter Bridge, which was slated for late March through April, has been postponed.

“You can’t do much about that,” Kennedy said. “It’s disappointing.”

Kennedy, 50, has plenty of time for songwriting. “When I work on songs, which is what I’ve been doing since the end of the Alter Bridge tour (last month at the Knitting Factory), I typically hunker down and disconnect. So in many ways this is business as usual.

“What is happening with the coronavirus has not impacted the tone of the songs I’m writing, but check back with me in a few months to see if that is still true. All I know is that I’ve taken the coronavirus very seriously for the last few weeks.”

Kennedy was warned about the coronavirus from pals in Italy at the beginning of the month.

“I have friends in Milan who reached out to tell me not to take the virus lightly,” Kennedy said. “That was the sea change for me. I was told that this was not something to mess around with – we don’t have a cavalier attitude about it.”

Kennedy and his wife, Selena Frank, take their daily walks and watch Netflix at night. “I can’t believe the movie that is trending is ‘Contagion,’ ” Kennedy said. “The world has changed, and, until things go back to normal, I’ll be here at home in Spokane writing songs.”

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So there was an Asia tour planned........ Given where things were at in Asia with this epidemic at the start of the year, I guess there would have been no good opportunity to announce it without insuring safety and protection of everyone in the venues which pretty much means that it wasn't going to be announced at all now. Boo on this COVID-19.

At least, Myles is productive and he's always a guy that's going to be writing anyway if there is some down time.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Potential new music from Myles and Co would be great, regardless of whom he releases it with I will be giving it a spin. One good thing to come from all this will be loads of new music from artists. I know Halestorm is writing a new record from this, and I believe they have another EP coming out fairly soon. It sounds like we will have a lot of good music coming down the pipe. It will make the postponed tours far more worth it.

pokefan_4
White Knuckled

Post by pokefan_4 »

Does anyone happen to know or have a photo of settings for the G-Lab Smooth Delay pedal that Mark runs? I just got ahold of one of those pedals and was wanting to start with his settings and adjust.....

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: More fuel added to the "acoustic EP please" fire!

Post by Inconquerable »

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

so tonight I was digging through some old shit, and lo and behold I found a copy of One Day Remains CD that I lost probably about 10 years ago.

I never could remember where I lost it, so I ended up buying another copy of the CD a short time later. QUickly the case cracked and it's been that way ever since.

What I found tonight was in perfect condition, with the fresh smell as if I just bought it today. I will definitely keep this as a collector's item now.

And what do you know, Godspeed just came on the local radio station as I am typing this. What a great night.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

jailman wrote:so tonight I was digging through some old shit, and lo and behold I found a copy of One Day Remains CD that I lost probably about 10 years ago.

I never could remember where I lost it, so I ended up buying another copy of the CD a short time later. QUickly the case cracked and it's been that way ever since.

What I found tonight was in perfect condition, with the fresh smell as if I just bought it today. I will definitely keep this as a collector's item now.

And what do you know, Godspeed just came on the local radio station as I am typing this. What a great night.

That’s awesome... Beautiful message you were given!

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Re: More fuel added to the "acoustic EP please" fire!

Post by The Dissident »

Inconquerable wrote:
Such a great version. They honestly should do a full blown acoustic album, they have far too many perfect songs for acoustic than would fit on an EP.

Off the top of my head this would be a likely and killer acoustic album.

1. Wouldn't You Rather
2. Rise Today
3. Broken Wings
4. Addicted To Pain
5. All Ends Well
6. Shed My Skin
7. My Champion
8. In Loving Memory
9. Wonderful Life/Watch Over You
10. Ghosts Of Days Gone By
11. Lover
12. Blackbird
13. Open Your Eyes

I'd probably throw in Words, Before Tomorrow Comes and Down To My Last as some additional options but this would be pretty darn strong imo.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Myles! Live Stream! Get It!

Post by Inconquerable »

Myles Kennedy live-streaming tonight at 9:00PM EST at this link!

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanSongwriterMagazine/

It looks like they have the recordings from previous streams up in case anybody misses it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: and then give up when I realize I can't sing in his register.

Post by zazthespaz »

Wish he'd talked a little louder when he was speaking but it was neat to see! Especially as a guitarist seeing some of the fingerings for some of the songs - kinda tempted to go try them.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Wow. Just wow.

Post by gbruin »

That. Was. Fantastic.

Myles picked 5 of his songs and he talked a bit before and after each song about the writing process that created that particular song. Who knew that Watch Over You was a product of Ian Thornley and Dan Fogelberg?

Here was the setlist:

1. Year Of The Tiger
2. Standing In The Sun
3. All Ends Well
4. Watch Over You
5. Love can Only Heal

It was a bit hard to hear Myles talking at times so you need to up the volume a bit between songs, but the sound of his guitar and vocals was perfect. Someone needs to go rip those songs and share the files. I gotta say, Myles always sounds good, but I haven't heard his voice sound like that in a long time. He's obviously getting plenty of vocal rest and he really let things fly last night. It was stunning.

American Songwriter has a YT account and they said on FB they will be posting the video there soon. It's not there yet, but keep checking. You can see the video on Facebook on their page right now.

Damn, I love Myles so much.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Fortress next time please?

Post by Inconquerable »

Was a great livestream last night! Here's hoping he'll do some more while this corona stuff is going on. Love Can Only Heal was beautiful.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

His vocals at the end of All Ends Well and Love Can Only Heal were phenomenal!