The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by Silvercreed »

Well... Alter Bridge - Blackbird; Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird and Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb is definitely a great top 3 :bow

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Most of the list is pretty decent, though I'm not familiar with all of the songs on the list. It's great to see Blackbird that high.

I will say though that Free Bird is the most overrated solo of all time, IMO.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I think it's quite weird that Blackbird is pretty much the only modern rock song in this list. The rest of the ranking consists of old school rock and metal.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

Mr. Slash wrote:I think it's quite weird that Blackbird is pretty much the only modern rock song in this list. The rest of the ranking consists of old school rock and metal.
What other modern rock songs would you like to put? Guitar solos have pretty much been done by now. There are still people doing interesting things with the guitar on the prog side of things, but the traditional widdly guitar bit has been done to death. What can someone today do that someone, be it Clapton, Page, Gilmour, or EVH, Vai, Bettencourt haven't done before? Blackbird is a bit of an anomaly in that it is pretty much perfect. It fits the song musically and feels part of the narrative, and is actually musically interesting and is not just shred while being technically impressive. It's one of few notable guitar solos in the past 25 years.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

AngusWolfe wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:I think it's quite weird that Blackbird is pretty much the only modern rock song in this list. The rest of the ranking consists of old school rock and metal.
What other modern rock songs would you like to put? Guitar solos have pretty much been done by now. There are still people doing interesting things with the guitar on the prog side of things, but the traditional widdly guitar bit has been done to death. What can someone today do that someone, be it Clapton, Page, Gilmour, or EVH, Vai, Bettencourt haven't done before? Blackbird is a bit of an anomaly in that it is pretty much perfect. It fits the song musically and feels part of the narrative, and is actually musically interesting and is not just shred while being technically impressive. It's one of few notable guitar solos in the past 25 years.

I think my #1 is the EVH solo on MJ's Beat It, its only 30 seconds but its sure very memorable. Shocked EVH wasnt featured more he has so many good one's, lots on their deep cuts

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hurricane warning in Florida with three weeks to go until the listening party. You better not put that evil on me world. I've and everyone else that's going has been planning this trip for about 7 months and we will not allow something like a hurricane to ruin our mood.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Myles is a great improviser and a natural blues player. I'd love to hear him showcase his blues skills on his next solo album.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

What's the name of the song Mark is noodling right before playing Blackbird?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote:What's the name of the song Mark is noodling right before playing Blackbird?

@ 3:51, it's unreleased, as far as I know.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

thank you

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Just out of curiosity. Break Me Down is not one of the songs that was never been played live?

I was checking the setlist.fm to the "more played songs" statistics and it says they played 2 times in 2007 in US.
I don't know if this is totally accurate.

Not one of my favorites but I wouldn't mind to see this song being performed live.
At least it would sound fresh, i think.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

They played it at the beginning of the Blackbird tour in the US, I think I've seen a video of it.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard a live audio version, not official of course

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I didn't expect this to happen at the Papa Roach show I was in today. I was complemented twice for the AB shirt I was wearing. In fact, one girl stated that she interviewed Mark for a podcast a few years back and stated that he was a nice guy to talk to. One other guy told me that he met Myles at his local school in Washington (the state). I don't know why Myles is there out of the blue. Maybe in whatever spare time he has, I think he's on a crusade to save music education in local schools in Washington and focuses on the Future Song Foundation as well. In any case, the guy told me that Myles was a nice guy to talk to as well. Also, the first song on the house speakers I heard when I got into the venue was Show Me A Leader. Man, I'm hoping that something like this can happen again in tomorrow's Skillet/Sevendust show, given that both bands will be playing shows with AB on the bill soon.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Dolo wrote:They played it at the beginning of the Blackbird tour in the US, I think I've seen a video of it.
I thought they never played the song. Never found a video, probably already deleted.
I came too late.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I got my wish. One Day Remains is playing on the house speakers before Sevendust’s set. Also Big Wreck is being played afterwards.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

LosingPatience wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

I think my #1 is the EVH solo on MJ's Beat It, its only 30 seconds but its sure very memorable. Shocked EVH wasnt featured more he has so many good one's, lots on their deep cuts
It's a pretty good solo, considering he turned up and played it on the spot, IIRC, in one take. But it came out 36 years ago. that's exactly my point, guys like EVH have already done everything you can do in the traditional guitar solo route.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Random thought, but I’ve been listening to ABIII lately and I’m just now starting to appreciate it more after 9 years. I was disappointed at first because of the lack of solos compared to Blackbird which I was in love with, and the shift in tone, and I guess I hung on to that for a while. I mean, I’ve enjoyed a good amount of it before now, but it’s really hitting me differently all of a sudden.

They put out ABIII, which was a letdown to me at first, then three years later they kick our asses with another masterpiece in Fortress, so ABIII kind of got tossed by the wayside while I worshiped BB and Fortress for years, lol. Now I’m constantly playing The Pirate Song and Isolation.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

At the Iron Maiden show, I’m hearing Blackbird in the house speakers. F it, this is already a perfect show before it begins.