The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by Fish Tacos »

Scott: "We're sort of getting there. We'll finish up this album cycle probably in December of this year. I know Mark [Tremonti, guitar] is working on new TREMONTI stuff. Myles [Kennedy, vocals] is working on a solo project, which he's been working on for a long period of time, but it should see the light of day pretty soon. Within those writing processes that Mark and Myles are going through, there will probably be a plethora of ALTER BRIDGE songs that are written at the same time. I think the plan is probably to get together in September, October, November of next year and start putting those ideas together with the four of us and probably get some new music out, I would say in probably early 2019, I think is the plan. But yeah, there's always, between the two of those guys, there's constant writing. I'm excited for the next chapter."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alter- ... eyre-with/

ChrisK
Brand New Start

Post by ChrisK »

Hello guys.

I wanted to share with you the latest interview I did with Brian. Hope you find it interesting.

http://noisefull.com/interviews/alter-b ... marshall-0

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

There’s many tattoos with the “Blackbird” logo and it’s mind blowing that it connected with so many people. When you see that on a constant basis you’re like… (laughs)… I haven’t seen so many “The Last Hero” tattoos as I’ve seen “Blackbird” tattoos, maybe a lot more people will connect with that in the future.
I'm thinking and yeah, the Blackbird logo is something a lot of people really like in terms of imagery. I mean there's not going to be a lot of people that wants a tattoo of a guy that has arrows coming at him or a dilapidated shed like in Fortress or the ODR cover. I mean people will have tattoos with AB logo, it's basically the band's font, and it's basically a common font. The Blackbird logo does have that sort of imagery that people latch on to and still latch on to 10 years later. I even friken described the album cover itself in an essay in my college English class and I had to do it without going too off-topic, i.e. talking too much about the band's music and not enough talking about the actual album cover.

Good interview. It's rare to see a Brian or Flip interview and when we do see them, it's nicely in-depth, so you did a good job.
Being one of the most active and maybe popular bands in the current scene of hard rock music, I’d like to how much you’ve been influenced by the tragic death of Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. Has something changed in the rock in the wake of these events?

Well, it’s a tragedy when you hear the news of your peers passing away by inflicting harm on themselves. They had family and children and they were all involved. You know, that really hit home, especially when you met them maybe, went on a tour with them or even be close friends with them. And I know Myles was speaking with Chris on a several occasions. I didn’t know either one of them, but I was a huge fan of their music.
Man, if one of those discussions involved the idea of an acoustic tour together....... Aside from the obvious sadness that stems from Chris Cornell's passing, when it comes to him and his music, the saddest thing I took away from Chris Cornell's death is that the idea of him and Myles doing a solo acoustic tour together or an AB/Soundgarden tour is never going to happen now and that really bums me out, because I think either options would have made a really great touring environment for both acts and crowds.
Let’s end this on a positive note. Alter Bridge have always addressed issues of dealing with darkness and trying to find the light in life through their lyrics, so I guess you help in a way towards this awareness…

Well, thank you! I certainly hope so. There’s something to be said for that. I think you hit the nail on the head with that. A lot of our music lyrically can speak to people. As I said they have lyrics on their arms. For example “All Ends Well” is a favorite song for a lot of people and I see its lyrics all the time on people’s bodies. It’s really cool to see that. I hope they can take away from something to enlighten them in the future.
One more thought from the interview. Another good thought from Brian and that made me reflect on something. It's nice where in the present-AB era, they are going the more darker, heavier, pseudo-prog, whatever. However, it's also nice to hear a positive uplifting song like My Champion or All Ends Well or Never Say Die, in between, where they sorta need that to create a cheerful song or the band may just end up having that Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... enceApathy) where it's dark for the sake of dark and too dark for people to care and some fans may already feel that way from AB III-onwards so it's nice to hear the My Champions and All Ends Well type of songs being created once in a while.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

ChrisK wrote:Hello guys.

I wanted to share with you the latest interview I did with Brian. Hope you find it interesting.

http://noisefull.com/interviews/alter-b ... marshall-0
Very nice job, Chris K. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing that with us!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

ChrisK
Brand New Start

Post by ChrisK »

Thank you both. Glad you liked the interview. :)

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jaded Rescue wrote: Listening to more than 3-4 songs in a row off of TLH is like ear rape to me. When the album first released I listened to it fully through, but around track 4 or 5 I honestly wanted to stop. By the time I was done I was almost happy that it was finished, which really sucks to say about an AB album.
Same boat. I hate to say this because he's my favorite vocalist in the world, but I think it's Myles. I feel like he's shouting half the time, rather than relaxing and comfortably using his singing voice, and again, that's probably due to the loudness. It sucks, because I want to love this album with every fiber of my being, especially with the way the political aspirations in the lyrics line up with my own. I want to blast it as an almost modern-day RATM, but... eh. I'll keep listening and trying to love it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote: Listening to more than 3-4 songs in a row off of TLH is like ear rape to me. When the album first released I listened to it fully through, but around track 4 or 5 I honestly wanted to stop. By the time I was done I was almost happy that it was finished, which really sucks to say about an AB album.
Same boat. I hate to say this because he's my favorite vocalist in the world, but I think it's Myles. I feel like he's shouting half the time, rather than relaxing and comfortably using his singing voice, and again, that's probably due to the loudness. It sucks, because I want to love this album with every fiber of my being, especially with the way the political aspirations in the lyrics line up with my own. I want to blast it as an almost modern-day RATM, but... eh. I'll keep listening and trying to love it.
I think it's a combination of Myles voice and the mix/master. I turned on Show Me a Leader the other day and had a moment where I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, I like this song!" and I never feel like that should be a passing thought that I have with a band like AB. But the fact of the matter is the album is so ear-fatiguing that I just don't listen to it much. I've probably listened to it fully through 3 times since its release.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when listening to the intro of the live versions of Waters Rising? Playing it one octave lower that on the record makes it sooo much better.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Mr. Slash wrote:Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when listening to the intro of the live versions of Waters Rising? Playing it one octave lower that on the record makes it sooo much better.
It's not an octave lower, it's just that the guitars are tuned a bit lower. Can't remember if they did a half or whole step at the moment, though. But yeah, it makes for a sweet guitar tone.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when listening to the intro of the live versions of Waters Rising? Playing it one octave lower that on the record makes it sooo much better.
It's not an octave lower, it's just that the guitars are tuned a bit lower. Can't remember if they did a half or whole step at the moment, though. But yeah, it makes for a sweet guitar tone.
Nah, I'm pretty sure Mark plays it an octave lower while Myles plays the intro you can hear on the studio version.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Myles is indeed seems to be playing the lower octave. It means Mark finally learned to sign and play the higher part simultaneously.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I thought Waters Rising was one of if not the best performance of the entire concert personally.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:
I think it's a combination of Myles voice and the mix/master. I turned on Show Me a Leader the other day and had a moment where I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, I like this song!" and I never feel like that should be a passing thought that I have with a band like AB. But the fact of the matter is the album is so ear-fatiguing that I just don't listen to it much. I've probably listened to it fully through 3 times since its release.
Some may disagree with me on this, but honestly, back in like idk, 2009, I didnt think much of Blackbird the song when i first heard it (the album version), cuz i think it was the mixing I didnt like. Imo, many AB songs sound better live than they do on the record, cuz there's no wall of sound or whatever. More dynamics, I think.

Like, at the time, when I first heard it, Blackbird was probably one of the worst mixed records I had heard, at least, in comparsion to every other album I had listened to (this was around 2009 or so).

Like, it was easier for me (at the time) to appreciate some of the songs from the Blackbird album more once I heard those same songs live.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

cheesedip1 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:
Some may disagree with me on this, but honestly, back in like idk, 2009, I didnt think much of Blackbird the song when i first heard it (the album version), cuz i think it was the mixing I didnt like. Imo, many AB songs sound better live than they do on the record, cuz there's no wall of sound or whatever. More dynamics, I think.

Like, at the time, when I first heard it, Blackbird was probably one of the worst mixed records I had heard, at least, in comparsion to every other album I had listened to (this was around 2009 or so).

Like, it was easier for me (at the time) to appreciate some of the songs from the Blackbird album more once I heard those same songs live.
I don't disagree with you at all. Blackbird has some great tunes on it, obviously, but as far as I'm concerned One Day Remains is the only record they have that has any real dynamics in terms of mixing/production.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:

I don't disagree with you at all. Blackbird has some great tunes on it, obviously, but as far as I'm concerned One Day Remains is the only record they have that has any real dynamics in terms of mixing/production.

Back in 2009, whe i was younger, most of the time melody was important but i put more of an emphasis on were the lyrics good or not. back then anyways

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Train of Thought time.

I know post-grunge/alternative metal/active rock music has been having its ups and downs over the years where there are recent albums in that format that I like a lot (4 of the five of my favorite albums in 2016 have been from those kinds of bands) and Breaking Benjamin knocked it out of the park with Dark Before Dawn in 2015, imo. On the other side, there have been albums where I'm just like, "Arggggghhhhhhh. Man. This sucks."

The new 12 Stones album is one of those albums where I'm just not digging and this is one of these times where I'm seeing the negatives of post-grunge music where it's just too bland to my tastes nowadays. They and AB pretty much started around the same period with the same record label. I always do think to myself how do some of these bands (12 Stones, Drowning Pool, Saliva, Trapt, etc. where they were clear cut bigger than AB at the time) have faded to obscurity and AB has been holding steady and growing their fanbase to the point where they got their loyal fanbase, and playing in front of a big crowd in Rock In Rio, and going to be playing in one of the most prestigious venues ever with an orchestra.

How did AB survive and thrive in their growth while other known bands around that period is basically a footnote nowadays?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They were never a band that depended or singles, radio or mainstream succes. They did it on their own terms, cleverly changed their sound when the post-grunge sound was becoming to sound outdated (while still sounding relatively true to their original sound) and just have been consistent throughout their entire career.

+ Slash
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

+ the fact that Tremonti is pretty charismatic and therefore somewhat an idol for many guitar kiddies i'd say.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Happy 7th Birthday AB III :peace :rockon :headbang :cloud9

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote:+ the fact that Tremonti is pretty charismatic and therefore somewhat an idol for many guitar kiddies i'd say.
+ Creed
+ WWE
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp