The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Merinda
Sig Queen

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by Merinda »

What a knob I quoted myself lol.

That's a shame Brian, I love TLH. Any specifics on why it hasn't captured you?

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Merinda wrote:In preparation for RAH I have been listening to all 5 albums on shuffle for the last few weeks. I've not listened to the older albums for a long time and am now being reminded of the absolute gold songs like Burn It Down, Watch Your Words, Break Me Down, Buried Alive, Make It Right and Life Must Go On are. SOOOO GOOOOOD. To be honest my least fave AB song ever is Save Me. But I still like it.
To be honest, The Last Hero (as an album) really hasn't reached out and grabbed me the way other albums have, but I can pull out Blackbird and rock every single second of that record. There are great songs here and there on every album, but damn, BB is a masterpiece from top to bottom.
I'm on the same boat with TenaciousBe here. TLH has its moments but to me those are just songs and what always stood out to me with the other records were the lyrics and emotion. Songs like Still Remains, Brand New Start, Farther than the Sun changed my life. It helped me get over hurdles and make tough life decisions.

ODR, BB, AB3, and Fortress are my bible.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm in the minority, I guess. I love it, and rate it in the middle of the discography.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's an interesting thing about The Last Hero. Just because they themed it around the political elections doesn't make it really a political album. I really think they just frustrated with how the country is ran nowadays and felt how ordinary people felt with how the US is being run nowadays, even before the election, how the world is nowadays. How there's been a lot more arguing and picking sides moreso than ever and being more obsessive about "winning" than solving problems that people really desperately need solving.

In a sense, the three last albums really reflected my life personally moreso than ODR and Blackbird which is why I'm always going to be a big defender of those albums and the direction that their sound took in the 2010s. Are they perfect albums? No. Are they well-produced albums? No. But those songs and the lyrical content really relates well to what my life is like, especially Fortress and The Last Hero, and I'll probably take that feeling over a perfect sounding album. With Fortress, that was released during a time where an important relationship that I had was deteriorating and on the outside it looked ok, but in the inside, everything was not fine and beyond repair. With The Last Hero, I just finished school and jumping into the real world that is full of madness and uncertainty and the idea of having the hero to rise above and solve problems seems to be lost, I guess.

This is another reason why I rate Twilight so highly. Think about how the world is nowadays and look at the lyrics of Twilight. The song seemed very prophesying in that sense to me.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

ODR-Fortress are perfection. Im currently obsessing over ABIII, Slip, GODGB, All Hope is Gone, SMAS, Fallout, LMGO, WDTTW, IKIH, cant get enough! The personal struggles Myles wrote about made for some great and very relatable(unfortunately) lyrical content. And a lot of nice melodies. I know that album gets some flack, but I think a lot of that comes from the production and the fact that it came out after Blackbird, probably the strongest album to date next to Fortress. Its got a couple weak spots, but to me its more consistent than TLH, and is more relatable for the most part in terms of lyrics.

TLH has not grabbed me in the same way unfortunately, the few songs that have still arent on that same level that I find the previous four albums to be at. Still a good album, though.
Thanks Timo!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I shudder to think which of those oldies they are going to pull out for RAH. Imagine Shed My Skin with that orchestra.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

gbruin wrote:I shudder to think which of those oldies they are going to pull out for RAH. Imagine Shed My Skin with that orchestra.
Sorry, but meh. I don't care too much about Shed My Skin being played at all in any outlet in the near future. I mean if we are talking about wanting any ODR songs with the orchestra. I want In Loving Memory and Down to My Last, personally, with an orchestra.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Bloody hell, Shed My Skin with an orchestra would be phenomenal. Or Burn It Down.

So, the funny part about my comment earlier -- I do have The Last Hero in my CD player in my car, and even though I said it hasn't really "grabbed" me... I have it on all the time. And as I'm listening, I realize I've gotten to know more of the songs than I had thought. Moreso the first half of the CD, but still. I don't know though, there's just something about the production. It's like they went into Ground Zero of the Loudness Wars and dropped a nuke on everybody.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:Bloody hell, Shed My Skin with an orchestra would be phenomenal. Or Burn It Down.

So, the funny part about my comment earlier -- I do have The Last Hero in my CD player in my car, and even though I said it hasn't really "grabbed" me... I have it on all the time. And as I'm listening, I realize I've gotten to know more of the songs than I had thought. Moreso the first half of the CD, but still. I don't know though, there's just something about the production. It's like they went into Ground Zero of the Loudness Wars and dropped a nuke on everybody.
Listening to more than 3-4 songs in a row off of TLH is like ear rape to me. When the album first released I listened to it fully through, but around track 4 or 5 I honestly wanted to stop. By the time I was done I was almost happy that it was finished, which really sucks to say about an AB album. I enjoy a good portion of the songs, but it sounds like they had some kid mix it who thinks the idea of a good guitar tone is to completely scoop the mids and plays through a metalzone pedal. And frankly, it kind of furthers the idea that AB sometimes sounds like a band that's trying to hard to be a metal band when really they should be focusing on being a good arena hard rock band (in my opinion).

I know they have a larger set now, but I miss the days when AB wasn't afraid to do a cover or two, or (heaven forbid) use clean guitar tone live. AB went from being a fun hard rock band to being a brooding wannabe progressive metal band, and it's really frustrating because they could be playing to their strengths, but they're really not.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:I know they have a larger set now, but I miss the days when AB wasn't afraid to do a cover or two, or (heaven forbid) use clean guitar tone live. AB went from being a fun hard rock band to being a brooding wannabe progressive metal band, and it's really frustrating because they could be playing to their strengths, but they're really not.
Personally, I feel like they are playing their strengths and they are playing to strengths you did not want them to do and it just so happens that those strengths are not what you enjoy, oh well, but many others do.

Anyway. Don't know where else to put this, but for the Rock in Rio show, AB is not playing direct support for Bon Jovi, but behind Tears for Fears? I didn't even know they were still around today. Looking at the Rock in Rio site, it looks like AB is playing at 9PM their time, Tears for Fears around 10:35, and Bon Jovi playing at 12:25, meaning AB would have around 60-75 minutes depending on how long the in between sets times are.

Hopefully, the live stream, if there is one, turns out well.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I dunno. Didn't Tears For Fears have a couple of big hits?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mad World cover is the only thing I know of theirs lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I know they have that song "Shout", I just didn't think they were doing much nowadays to warrant the main support slot of the biggest festival in South America, but maybe they are bigger in South America than I thought.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

They also have "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote:Mad World cover is the only thing I know of theirs lol.
Not a cover. Gary Jules covered it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Mad World cover is the only thing I know of theirs lol.
Not a cover. Gary Jules covered it.
Ohhhh well then it really is a mad world.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Man, AB will be the most rockin thing on there. I saw Jovi at a show with my better half four years ago and was yawning at one point when he played three ballads in a row.

I can't imagine seeing a show where the bands hits we're all ballady things.
Altered:

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

anguyen92 wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:I know they have a larger set now, but I miss the days when AB wasn't afraid to do a cover or two, or (heaven forbid) use clean guitar tone live. AB went from being a fun hard rock band to being a brooding wannabe progressive metal band, and it's really frustrating because they could be playing to their strengths, but they're really not.
Personally, I feel like they are playing their strengths and they are playing to strengths you did not want them to do and it just so happens that those strengths are not what you enjoy, oh well, but many others do.

Anyway. Don't know where else to put this, but for the Rock in Rio show, AB is not playing direct support for Bon Jovi, but behind Tears for Fears? I didn't even know they were still around today. Looking at the Rock in Rio site, it looks like AB is playing at 9PM their time, Tears for Fears around 10:35, and Bon Jovi playing at 12:25, meaning AB would have around 60-75 minutes depending on how long the in between sets times are.

Hopefully, the live stream, if there is one, turns out well.

^^^^This so much.Alter Bridge really expanded on the last 2 records imo I'm a fan of the more progressive style which Fortress and The Last Hero are by far their most progressive.My fav AB songs are pretty much all their epics and Last Hero has quite a few.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Have to say I'm rather partial to an epic or two.
For all of the hope that it brings...

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

Hi people,

I am selling 2 tickets for the magical concert in the Royal Albert Hall. The tickets are for the Tuesday 3rd of October. I would love to go, but unfortunately I can't... I won't charge more than it had cost for me, but just want to play break even.

Of course I could try and sell them for lots of money, but thought I would first ask the people on here!

Just send me a message if you are interested!

Need to double check the exact seats but it was one of the lower stalls on Tremonti 's side of the stage if I remember correctly.

Thanks!
Pascal